X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:Computers and Game Consoles
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 21 June 2008 - 08:27 AM

I have a fairly new Falcon 360 wich seems to be a little on the warm side and im wondering if anyone else has tried the Intec Air Cooler. I just bought one to replace my modded external powered Nyko intercooler and so far im not impressed it doesent seem to be doing as good of job as the modded Nyko. After 1hr of GH3 my room was getting hot from the 360 and the disc came out warmer than when I used my Nyko. So has anyone else tried comparing these two with the Nyko modded on its own PSU Vs. Stock Intec Air Cooler?

#2 XBOXIZGOOD

XBOXIZGOOD

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 22 June 2008 - 06:18 AM

I have both, and yes the modded Intercooler does seem to move a little more air than the Air cooler/Turbo Cooler. That being said, I can still play 6 hours of Bioshock/ME and the system is still much cooler than stock. I too have a Falcon. Hopefully Nyko will come out with yet another Intercooler, this time making it use it's own power supply.

#3 XBOXIZGOOD

XBOXIZGOOD

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 06:49 AM

I think for me, it's the fans in the Air Cooler not being as good as what's in the Intercooler. I say that, because for my modded Intercooler, I'm using a 12v adapter that's rated 400ma. My Air Cooler's adapter is also 12v, but it's rated at 500ma. So I'm guessing that the fans in the Intec just aren't as good. I might swap the fans out and see what results I get. Also, it seems as the Intercooler's casing is a bit wider than that of the Intec. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Edited by XBOXIZGOOD, 22 June 2008 - 06:50 AM.

#4 dallasmilton318

dallasmilton318

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 08:56 AM

Ya, I think the Nyko does move more air than the Intec and think ill use it on my Falcon 360 for the time being since it is basicly running in the same fassion on its own Psu just its not so pretty since I modded it but ill take performace over looks anyday. I can use the Intec on my old 3rl X-Clamp fixed not so reliable 360 and keep my falcon running cool as possible without voiding my warranty. biggrin.gif

#5 cheddabob1

cheddabob1

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:love shootin people in the face (halo)
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 22 June 2008 - 10:39 PM

I havent tried the Intec but I modded the new Intercooler EX and its 4x quieter than the previous one and Ive played Bioshock, GTAIV and tons of others for 12+ hours in at least 92 degree room. Id say the Intercooler EX holds up but I heard the Intec was quieter so the fans might spin slower?

#6 XBOXIZGOOD

XBOXIZGOOD

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 11:09 PM

My modded Intercooler is a bit quieter than the Intec is. Not sure if it's because I'm using a weaker 12v adapter for the Intercooler, but even then it still feels like it's moving more air. I did notice the casing for both coolers is a bit different, as the Intercooler's case seems to be a bit wider from front to back. Not by much though.

#7 Bandit5317

Bandit5317

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 11:24 PM

400ma is really pushing it. I don't have the EX, but the 3 fans from an old Intercooler use a total of 390ma. There really is no reason to mod the Intercooler, though, unless you want to leave it on after the 360 is off or you want to make it quieter by lowering the voltage. They run at 12v stock and the 360's psu has plenty of extra juice to run them.

#8 cheddabob1

cheddabob1

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:love shootin people in the face (halo)
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 22 June 2008 - 11:55 PM

The 360 also has internal fan speed changes, which result in change of current. If you use the USB ports to charge controllers...thats more power...and wireless device is more power. Thats when I got RRoD when I plugged my play n charge in and was playing Crackdown. I dont see how a new plug can affect the way it steals needed power from the console.

Edited by cheddabob1, 22 June 2008 - 11:56 PM.

#9 XBOXIZGOOD

XBOXIZGOOD

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 03:23 AM

360 owners that have a Falcon and a 175w PSU have no choice but to mod the Intercooler, since the new plug doesn't fit in the Intercooler.

#10 dallasmilton318

dallasmilton318

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 03:56 AM

I have a early falcon that has a 203w PSU. Thats not why I modded the intercooler it was so that it dont melt to the xbox and void my warranty plus I wanted an aftercooler so the xbox dont just sit and bake. I played with the Intec again today and after removing and reataching it and playing GH3 for 2hrs the intec seems to be performing better than I thought initially. Maybe because I didnt have it on right or my room temp was higher before or something so now im leaning toward thinking they are both Nyko and Intec pretty equal. I could be wrong though. I guess just use what you like. I would really like to see a showdown on the two. Or atleast a review on the Intec performace. Never found one of those. rolleyes.gif

#11 XBOXIZGOOD

XBOXIZGOOD

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 04:33 AM

The Intec does work well, and I'm happy with it. The Falcons run cooler anyway, so the extra cooling the Intec provides is plenty. I might use my modded Intercooler to blow cool air in through the side, while the Intec draws it in and exhausts it.

#12 dallasmilton318

dallasmilton318

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 06:51 AM

I might use my modded Intercooler to blow cool air in through the side, while the Intec draws it in and exhausts it.

I was just thinking the same thing. Great minds must think alike or your a mind reader. lol

#13 double b26

double b26

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 01:53 AM

i have to throw in a vote for my modded pelican fan stand. it keeps my console very cool... barely warm to the touch on the top. the bottom was still warm, but not nearly as much as it was without. the discs come out a lot cooler than before too. plus i like having something to force air into the console, since there are already exhaust fans built into it.

i gutted it and put in two 12v pc fans. then i snipped the usb power plug off and wired it to the variable-voltage power pack and cranked it to 12v. i really like the fan stand design because you can turn the fans on and off separately from the console. it comes in handy for cooling the console down after playing.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Edited by double b26, 07 July 2008 - 01:54 AM.

#14 XBOXIZGOOD

XBOXIZGOOD

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 05:59 AM

You don't run your 360 tilted like that do you?? Also, I found out why my modded Intercooler put out more air than my Turbo Cooler. The adapter I'm using for the Intercooler is strictly DC, while the Intec is AC/DC. For some reason it puts out less power despite being 500ma compared to the 400ma DC adapter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users