202 replies to this topic

#61 Master Reefed

Master Reefed

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 03:09 PM

apt-get install rar unrar will install the command line rar utility.

2 questions.

linneighborhood goes in and out, I can connect to my video/audio shares in Vista... but everytime I try to copy to/from, or even stream videeo/audio it locks up and have to reconnect?
any idea? this didnt happen before.

Do you know if there is any chance of ditching the 2 gig filesize limitation?

Friedgold said back in the day it was because of the version of busybox they went to in 2.0... but the first xdsl could be installed up to 4 gigs. Not only will xdsl not install bigger than 2000 mb's, but cant handle a file larger than this.

but other than these two things man... I'm loving it!

#62 scuba156

scuba156

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 01 July 2008 - 07:00 PM

stevewal - sure ill have a look at it when i get a chance. i cant really do anything with it, as i bought a second router today to connect to the xbox but then my DSL modem died so im on my ISP's crappy emergency dial-up for the time being so i have no internet connection on the xbox (even if i used ICS, it would be painfully slow. took me 20 minutes to download 4mb before sad.gif) and cant really do much. i should be back up and running in a few days. im still in the process of turning the xbox into a dedicated linux xbox (on that note, does anyone know where i could get some extra RAM for it in Australia?) so its not all perfect yet.

Master Reefed - as for a temp 2GB filesystem work around, you could use a native install which will allow it to use as much as you want

Edited by scuba156, 01 July 2008 - 07:04 PM.

#63 stevewal

stevewal

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • Interests:conservastion, rock climbing, modding and gaming, gardening.
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 01 July 2008 - 07:47 PM

Thanks for the bug report Master Reefed. I downloaded linneighborhood, but I've never used it before and would have to read all the stuff on setting it up. Also I hav'nt got the passwords for the pc. It would be helpful if you could give me the errors your getting, so I could look into it. I'll also have a look at busybox, maybe I could update it.

Hi scuba. I thought I had a set of ram chips, but I could only find 3 and one had a leg broken off. The best guy to try is perplexer. He's in the U.S, but he's usually got some chips, and should get to you in a few days. 128mb certainly makes xdsl fly along.

#64 Master Reefed

Master Reefed

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 04:57 AM

Thx for the replies guys.

Scuba... the filesize limitation is within XDSL, going native doesnt affect it. I'm not talking about having more space within the loopback really, I want to be able to create an image bigger than 2 gigs... and this is not possible in XDSL. Heres what Friedgold said way back when.

QUOTE(friedgold @ Jul 6 2006, 01:20 PM) View Post

The maximum filesize on FATX is 4GB as you point out. So why does X-DSL have a 2GB restriction? It's because the version of the busybox utils included has a 2GB restriction. Using the gnu version of dd, mount, etc (or a busybox compile with large file support) you should be able create a 4GB file and mount a 4GB file. However now you mention it I seem to remember reading that DSL had changed to a busybox compile with large file support. I'm not sure if this was included in last X-DSL version (I guess not as you still having problems). I'll try and look into if it's possible to lift this restriction for the next X-DSL release.

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=528886

and as far as linneighborhood goes Steve... there isnt much to setting it up, just basicly put in your pc's info and away ya go. I dont even have a password, so I just enter the domain (workgroup) and user (dsl). leaving the password space empty.
Its working for streaming a little better and I havnt changed anything, about every 3rd song, it will freeze for 30-60 seconds, which makes moving files bigger than 5 megs nearly impossible... luckily I have XBMC for this for now...just a quick reboot away.

Edited by Master Reefed, 02 July 2008 - 04:59 AM.

#65 scuba156

scuba156

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 08:47 AM

ah so your after the bigger file limitation support. for the time being, you should be able to update busybox yourself. i updated it when i was working on the 2.6 kernel so i know it will work with it

well i brought a new modem today but have now realised that the D-Link DIR-615 does not support wireless bridging (even though its advertised that it does) and doesnt work with DD-WRT firmware either. so i just ordered a LinkSys WRT54GL which i know supports WDS and DD-WRT firmware. so now ive got an extra $100 router that i have no use for, and probably cant return. i have the worst luck with things like that

so now i have a DSL connection on my PC, but still no DSL connection on my xbox so im going to have wait a few more days for my order to arrive

Edited by scuba156, 02 July 2008 - 09:36 AM.

#66 run088

run088

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts
  • Interests:rebuilding broken xboxes
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 02 July 2008 - 10:33 AM

After I installed this distro.My xbox goes to a desktop and freezes or I dont have anyway to move the curser.I have a usb adapter so I can plug in a keyboard and a mouse but they dont seem to respond.It also does this when I launch dynebolic.I am new to linux so I dont know what the problem is.Any help to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by run088, 02 July 2008 - 10:39 AM.

#67 scuba156

scuba156

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 10:52 AM

QUOTE(run088 @ Jul 2 2008, 08:09 PM) View Post

After I installed this distro.My xbox goes to a desktop and freezes or I dont have anyway to move the curser.I have a usb adapter so I can plug in a keyboard and a mouse but they dont seem to respond.It also does this when I launch dynebolic.I am new to linux so I dont know what the problem is.Any help to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

wireless keyboard/mouse by any chance? IIRC, they can cause problems.

if there not wireless, just try re-connecting them (no need to restart), wait a few seconds and see if you can move the mouse, then press control-alt-Backspace to see if the keyboard works (should send you to a black screen with a command prompt). if both those things do nothing, open up XBMC or something that can use keyboard/mouse and test if they work in there. if they dont work in XBMC either, it may be the usb adaptor

you can also try an xbox controller to see if that will work.

also, to determine if XDSL is freezing or not, have a look at the stats on the right side of the desktop. it should show the up-time there and will update every 5 seconds. if the up-time changes then its not freezing

#68 run088

run088

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 11:49 AM

Well it is not freezing.It just will not use the keyboard or mouse or dvd dongle.It did use however the controller which I did not think it would because it is not original and I was under the impression only original controllers worked.I can not see the vitals you told me to look for because the screen is oversized a little.

I dont see why the keyboard or mouse does not work.They work with xbmc.

#69 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 02 July 2008 - 01:58 PM

QUOTE(run088 @ Jul 2 2008, 07:25 PM) View Post

It just will not use the keyboard or mouse or dvd dongle.

Does the keyboard and mouse go to the same controller port? I had a similiar problem once and solved it by splitting the keyboard and mouse to go to different ports. Somehow the port doesn't supply enough power for both devices.

#70 scuba156

scuba156

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 04:16 PM

QUOTE(ldotsfan @ Jul 2 2008, 11:34 PM) View Post

Does the keyboard and mouse go to the same controller port? I had a similiar problem once and solved it by splitting the keyboard and mouse to go to different ports. Somehow the port doesn't supply enough power for both devices.

i dont think its a power problem, but that is a good point and doesnt work in that situation.

i had 2 usb ports connected to one ports usb pins on the motherboard, and i could only use one usb port at the time. if since split them into two controller ports and it works fine.

i also use an apple keyboard that has a 2 port usb hub inside it, which i can plug a mouse and a usb stick into and have all three work fine so im not sure what it is

Edited by scuba156, 02 July 2008 - 04:20 PM.

#71 run088

run088

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 09:19 PM

I tried both by themselves and they still did not work.The only one that works is the controller.I am going to try to install the ports manually and see if it makes a difference.I will let you know after the install if it made an impact.Also the bios I am using is cromwell 2.40.The keyboards I have tried are made by emachine and IBM and the mouse were microsoft and compaq.

#72 scuba156

scuba156

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 10:53 PM

are they wireless?

#73 run088

run088

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 12:09 AM

no

#74 RolF2

RolF2

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 03:06 AM

Hi, i have only Naki Xbox Spiderman Wireless Controller and it's not working in xdsl ... This controller is working in all games and dashes, but not in xdsl. What i'm doing wrong ?
Logitech usb mouse is working without any problems.

R.

#75 Master Reefed

Master Reefed

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 06:55 AM

Logitech "Elite" multimedia keyboard works well
HP wired/ball 3 button scroll mouse works well

XBOX orriginal controllers work
Mad Catz 20$ wireless from walmart works well
Pelican controllers with the extra white and black button on the shoulders DOES NOT work!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users