• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 26 June 2008 - 05:07 AM

Xbox 360 Media Center Extender Update Available
Posted by XanTium | June 26 00:07 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From microsoft.com:

Microsoft has released an update for Media Center Extenders for Windows Vista. This update is intended for computers that are running Windows Vista Home Premium or Windows Vista Ultimate.

Issues that are resolved by this update
This update addresses the following issues. These issues occur when you use Media Center on an Xbox 360 console.
* This update addresses a picture quality issue that occurs when you use Media Center Extender on an Xbox 360 console that has a High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) connector to the TV for video and a Sony/Philips Digital Interface Format (S/PDIF) connection to the audio device for audio.
* This update addresses an issue in which the Media Center Extender stops responding (hangs) when you play a large non-WMV video over an HTTP session.
* This update provides support for 50Hz output together with better quality for HD models. This feature applies primarily to regions that use the PAL video standard.

#2 PerfectGun

PerfectGun

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 05:59 AM

Nice to see an update for this but a real bummer to see they still haven't added Divx/Xvid support for Media Center Extender. I'm getting the feeling we will never see it.

#3 upsetspy

upsetspy

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 26 June 2008 - 06:26 AM

QUOTE(PerfectGun @ Jun 26 2008, 06:35 AM) View Post

Nice to see an update for this but a real bummer to see they still haven't added Divx/Xvid support for Media Center Extender. I'm getting the feeling we will never see it.

Seconded....Isn't DivX & or XviD available on other extenders, just not on the 360?

Oh well, a tweaked Transcode 360 and My Movies is works wonders for me

#4 xcalixxryderx

xcalixxryderx

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 104 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 26 June 2008 - 07:40 AM

QUOTE(upsetspy @ Jun 25 2008, 09:02 PM) View Post

Seconded....Isn't DivX & or XviD available on other extenders, just not on the 360?

Oh well, a tweaked Transcode 360 and My Movies is works wonders for me

ya I dont know why they made them playible through the dash and not through media center

#5 death trap

death trap

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 134 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 11:19 AM

QUOTE(xcalixxryderx @ Jun 26 2008, 08:16 AM) View Post

ya I dont know why they made them playible through the dash and not through media center

Coz the think we will buy one of the other extenders to fix the problem. mkv support is the most important to me. I dont really use xvid any more.

#6 Elemino

Elemino

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 26 June 2008 - 12:57 PM

Y'all got it wrong. Media Center does not support divx or xvid, but windows media player does. That's why you can play videos on the xbox dash, but not when you go into media center. The dashboard is an extender for the media player, but media center still does not suppor those formats. Therefore even on your pc you still cannot look at those videos in media center.. but it is nice to see they fixed that problem. I thought it was just me, so I stopped using media center on my 360 a long time ago.

#7 Dangelus

Dangelus

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 03:53 PM

I was wondering why my picture looked better this morning!

Fantastic!

#8 BurnDown

BurnDown

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 124 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 26 June 2008 - 05:27 PM

QUOTE(Elemino @ Jun 26 2008, 01:33 PM) View Post

Y'all got it wrong. Media Center does not support divx or xvid, but windows media player does. That's why you can play videos on the xbox dash, but not when you go into media center. The dashboard is an extender for the media player, but media center still does not suppor those formats. Therefore even on your pc you still cannot look at those videos in media center.. but it is nice to see they fixed that problem. I thought it was just me, so I stopped using media center on my 360 a long time ago.

Actually both media player and media center support any file you have the correct codec for. Media player wouldn't play an Xvid file without the codec being installed first. Media center is the same; if you install the codec then it will play the video file. Media center plays both Xvid and Matroska videos just fine on my PC, so with the right codecs the 360 should be able to as well.

#9 RolfLobker

RolfLobker

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 26 June 2008 - 06:22 PM

QUOTE(BurnDown @ Jun 26 2008, 07:03 PM) View Post

Actually both media player and media center support any file you have the correct codec for. Media player wouldn't play an Xvid file without the codec being installed first. Media center is the same; if you install the codec then it will play the video file. Media center plays both Xvid and Matroska videos just fine on my PC, so with the right codecs the 360 should be able to as well.

That is incorrect, my PC plays Matroska fine (MCE plays them) but the 360 refuses to play .mkv files (unsupported format).
A transcoder is not a proper solution in my opinion, so I don't use the 360 as a media center at all, even though I would like to, but use my PC as a media center instead.

#10 BurnDown

BurnDown

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 124 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 26 June 2008 - 08:27 PM

QUOTE(RolfLobker @ Jun 26 2008, 06:58 PM) View Post

That is incorrect, my PC plays Matroska fine (MCE plays them) but the 360 refuses to play .mkv files

Sorry, didn't make myself perfectly clear. Elemino was saying that you can't play Xvid/MKV on media center on your PC, which of course you can with the right codecs. What i meant was that if M$ were to release a dash update that installed these same codec into the extender on the 360 then you will be able to play them.

#11 RolfLobker

RolfLobker

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 08:48 PM

QUOTE(BurnDown @ Jun 26 2008, 10:03 PM) View Post

Sorry, didn't make myself perfectly clear. Elemino was saying that you can't play Xvid/MKV on media center on your PC, which of course you can with the right codecs. What i meant was that if M$ were to release a dash update that installed these same codec into the extender on the 360 then you will be able to play them.

I understand what you're trying to say now.
It is unfortunate that Media Center 360 does not contain any valuable codecs like x264 (.mkv)
I really don't care for xvid/divx since the xbox does a much better job in playing those with XBMC. Matroksa however should really be implemented, than the 360 would provide a proper media center solution.

#12 Altima NEO

Altima NEO

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, XBox, 360, PSP, Dreamcast, 3D Graphics & Animation

Posted 26 June 2008 - 09:31 PM

MS keeps missing the mark. Ill just plug my computer to my TV than try to fumble with the MCE's limited support.

#13 nachomans

nachomans

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 12:18 AM

My 1080p content, now play with black left and right borders.

nice way to f*ck up everything! grr.gif

#14 Muzzakus

Muzzakus

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 02:07 PM

I noticed tickers and panning was all of a sudden incredibly smooth. Puzzled, I reached for the TV remote and clicked display info...Lo and behold 50hz !

Thanks M$, long overdue - finally the 360 setop box solution is the best you can get !

#15 Elemino

Elemino

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 28 June 2008 - 03:27 PM

QUOTE(BurnDown @ Jun 26 2008, 03:03 PM) View Post

I have Divx and Xvid installed on my pc and Media Center still will not play those files. And I never said anything about MKV, because I have never used such a file before. Either way, my point was the 360 is an extender, but it only plays what "I" can play on my PC.

QUOTE(nachomans @ Jun 26 2008, 06:54 PM) View Post

My 1080p content, now play with black left and right borders.

nice way to f*ck up everything! grr.gif
It's called normal aspect ratio. You can change your tv to stretch the picture or get a non widescreen set if you don't like it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users