Photo

How Do You Run A Game With Modified Content?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 shadowth

shadowth

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 27 June 2008 - 05:32 PM

It's just... I know that the exactly how to may be illegal, so I'm just asking how it works, not how it's done. If this was posted on the wrong board, please, move it to the correct one. This one seeemed to be the most appropriate one.

afaik, all content on an xbox 360 game is signed, just like the executable, if you change one little thing, you break the signature, the game/content is invalid and the game will not run.

On the wii, the same principle applied but they've found bugs and stuff so you can sign your own content and that's it.

But for the 360, I've seen custom Guitar Hero games, custom PES games and... I always wondered what was done to run this.

Thank you!

#2 DarkProphecy

DarkProphecy

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:Good: TheTonik, GabeC, RustMonkey<br />Bad: None yet...
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 28 June 2008 - 12:37 AM

I think that only the default.xex file is signed, maybe some others depending on the game. IIRC they can't really sign everything since all the signature checks would among other things, slow the game down (loading times, etc), at least I seem to remember reading that somewhere.

#3 chorizo1

chorizo1

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,883 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 28 June 2008 - 12:44 AM

QUOTE(torne @ Jun 27 2008, 07:05 AM) View Post

The firmware hack lets you run a modified ISO in principle. Signing/hashing is applied to individual files in the ISO, not to the whole image. You can't modify any file which is signed or hashed at all - this is at minimum all .xex executables. Files which aren't signed or hashed can be modified just fine. Which files are which is entirely dependent on the game - some games may have many modifiable files, some games may have signatures on every single last file on the disc.

#4 shadowth

shadowth

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 28 June 2008 - 01:12 AM

Oh, I always tought the whole disc was signed or something of the sort!

Thank you!!

#5 Wilhelm_I

Wilhelm_I

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • Interests:Fixing n modding 360s<br />Playing online with my clan<br />Having fun with my mates<br />Coding stuff...
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 28 June 2008 - 01:39 AM

Nearly all files are signed at least config files and xexs pictures and music files are usually not.
To figure out if a file is signed scroll down to the end and check if there is a hash...(CRC)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users