#46 bmcclint

bmcclint

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 01:39 AM

QUOTE(MrFish @ Jul 10 2008, 07:40 PM) View Post

You need an lba48v2 BIOS. Ones I've tried are x2 5035, and iND 5003. Elsewhere in this thread Evox m8plus is reported compatible.

If your BIOS doesn't support partition tables, XBPartitioner is right to nag: if you set up a partition table and format it, but your BIOS doesn't support it, then when you reboot the BIOS will use its hardcoded partitions, which won't correspond to the filesystems XBPartitioner has just set up.
I'm interested in your results: when I tried a 1.6GB winchester (albeit not with evox m8), the XBox refused to boot, with error code 9.

A partitioning scheme I used on an Xbox I just built was the original 10GB drive, with no F drive, and a larger than normal E drive. Your system might benefit from a similar approach: remove the C drive entirely, boot straight off the E drive.

Overlapping cache partitions might also be worth trying, but I think I'm just recommending this because I want to know if they work, but am too lazy to try it myself. smile.gif

Well no go. Trying the SYBA card and the 1GB CF card I get error 09. It doesn't like the HD parameters or something. More later...guests just arrived...

#47 bmcclint

bmcclint

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 06:46 PM

QUOTE(bmcclint @ Jul 12 2008, 02:15 AM) View Post

Well no go. Trying the SYBA card and the 1GB CF card I get error 09. It doesn't like the HD parameters or something. More later...guests just arrived...

OK...didn't have much time to report the other day.

Well just putting the SYBA(SD-CF-2IDE-U) w/ Transcend 1GB 80x CF card resulted in an Error 09, supposedly the HDD parameters are bad, but w/ no CF card installed I get error 07, HDD timeout, as expected so the XBOX is seeing the CF card.

OK...I'm not 100% convinced that its the XBOX as I cannot get my PC to 'use' this setup either. The bios sees the CF card and adapter and reports a Transcend device but hangs after the floppy seek. Not sure what is actually wrong. Until I can get the PC to see this device and install to it I am not convinced I cannot use this in the XBOX.

Next question...If this turns out to be a parameter thing in the XBOX is this information stored in the kernel? Can it be altered or is some piece of hardware outside of the kernel trowing an error. I know a 1GB setup will format out , as it already works on a 6.0GB HDD, but is there a 'limit' on the HDD size. Unfortunately I don't have anything smaller than that antique 6GB drive.

More later...

#48 MrFish

MrFish

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 369 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 14 July 2008 - 07:17 PM

QUOTE(bmcclint @ Jul 13 2008, 07:22 PM) View Post

OK...didn't have much time to report the other day.

Well just putting the SYBA(SD-CF-2IDE-U) w/ Transcend 1GB 80x CF card resulted in an Error 09, supposedly the HDD parameters are bad, but w/ no CF card installed I get error 07, HDD timeout, as expected so the XBOX is seeing the CF card.

OK...I'm not 100% convinced that its the XBOX as I cannot get my PC to 'use' this setup either. The bios sees the CF card and adapter and reports a Transcend device but hangs after the floppy seek. Not sure what is actually wrong. Until I can get the PC to see this device and install to it I am not convinced I cannot use this in the XBOX.

According to Dan Rutter*, CF cards should just work, at least as far as the BIOS is concerned, but not all of them show up as non-removable, and not all of them can do DMA. This could be tripping the Xbox up, but if your PC can't boot it, it's pointing to a problem with the card, the adapter, or a combination of the two. I'd try known-gooding the card by sticking it in a USB reader and formatting it, then after that working on the adapter.

Something quick to try, though, is making sure it's not trying to boot off the card, and making sure your master/slave stuff is done properly (two devices on the same address tend to show up as one properly named device that doesn't work properly and stops the machine from booting).

* http://www.dansdata....askdan00025.htm

QUOTE(bmcclint @ Jul 13 2008, 07:22 PM) View Post

Next question...If this turns out to be a parameter thing in the XBOX is this information stored in the kernel? Can it be altered or is some piece of hardware outside of the kernel trowing an error. I know a 1GB setup will format out , as it already works on a 6.0GB HDD, but is there a 'limit' on the HDD size. Unfortunately I don't have anything smaller than that antique 6GB drive.

My money's on there being a lower-limit hardcoded into the BIOS, which none of the hacks ever thought of removing. This is going on the error description for error 9 that I found further up the thread, and the fact that it failed with a small hard drive, which is not really that exotic a piece of kit. I'm incredibly rusty with IDA, and I doubt that even when I could work it, I'd have been able to find the alleged size check in the boot process.

I think productive things to try and do would be to try to find the minimum size limit, and to try to attract the attention of someone involved in the hot-patching stuff the softmods do nowadays. The patcher is all open-source, so the chances are that someone involved with it might actually want to help you*. The Evox and iND people might be a good second choice, but I'd be surprised if they were still around.

*(rather than going MINEMINEMINE no modifying copyright microsoft team xecutor no stealing)

#49 bmcclint

bmcclint

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 04:27 AM

Sorry...been back logged with a lot lately...

Anyway got a stripped down Fedora Core 2 installed on the 1GB card and it boots perfectly. I'm pretty impressed with the speed as well. Boots faster that I had thought. The install was about 700MB so it fit fine without a swap partition.

So...with that the card and adapter seem to work fine. As far as the XBOX goes there is something else it doesn't like. I might try an 8GB CF card just to satisfy my curiosity.

Anyway...More later...

#50 bmcclint

bmcclint

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 05:56 AM

QUOTE(bmcclint @ Jul 26 2008, 05:03 AM) View Post

Sorry...been back logged with a lot lately...

Anyway got a stripped down Fedora Core 2 installed on the 1GB card and it boots perfectly. I'm pretty impressed with the speed as well. Boots faster that I had thought. The install was about 700MB so it fit fine without a swap partition.

So...with that the card and adapter seem to work fine. As far as the XBOX goes there is something else it doesn't like. I might try an 8GB CF card just to satisfy my curiosity.

Anyway...More later...

Update...Works with an 8GB CF card. Have a few issues but they are most likely hardware and I suspect another forum post would be best. Anyway...running XBMC in a 1.1 w/ HDD, CDROM cables and fan removed. Totally silent and works. Partitioned out 1GB (320, 512, 64, 64, 64). Since those CF cards are supposed to balance the writes I should theoretically prolong the life by 8x. Well see...

Anyway...remaining issues are blinking green light, I assume since its missing CD, and it turns off after 5-10 minutes. Might be overheating but this box has an iffy power supply so I'll test on another system with a stable power supply...

Thanks for the advice...

#51 Sleel

Sleel

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 09:41 PM

Sorry to drag an old thread back to life; however, I have never used XBPartitioner before, and I'm looking for a bit of guidance. I am running a softmodded box, and setting up my upgraded HD through my PC (before throwing it in the Xbox), and wondering which step of this process XBP needs to run. Do I need to set up the drive improperly (wrong cluster size) then run XBP to correct, then reinstall everything? If someone could even point me to a tutorial, it would be much appreciated. Thank you.

#52 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 21 February 2010 - 10:03 PM

Yes. Set up the drive incorrectly, then use XBPartitioner 1.1 to format F and G. You don't need to reinstall anything - xboxhdm only puts files on C and E, and you don't need to reformat C and E.

#53 Sleel

Sleel

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 03:19 AM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Feb 21 2010, 04:03 PM) View Post

Yes. Set up the drive incorrectly, then use XBPartitioner 1.1 to format F and G. You don't need to reinstall anything - xboxhdm only puts files on C and E, and you don't need to reformat C and E.

Thanks!

#54 stuntz0rZ

stuntz0rZ

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:56 AM

hi all. i just found out about this XBPartioner. I used it to extend all extra space on one partition. (225 GB) It says cluster size is 16kb. i don't see any option to change this? is everything setup ok?

#55 stuntz0rZ

stuntz0rZ

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:05 AM

ah never mind. i figured it out. cluster size goes by how large the hdd is. 16k for me it is

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users