• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dorksk8tr3

Dorksk8tr3

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts
  • Interests:Skating and Playing games and Fucking Girls. :) (Oh and getting drunk while doing all three.)
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 30 June 2008 - 02:40 AM

in the diagram to build an eeprom reader it calls for a 5 volt zener diode to be connected after the resistor ineries to ground. This is used as a voltage regulator. I thought the power from the pc and xbox was 5 volts so why the need for the zener diode? Besides. I need to build one and the only thing I can't get ahold of is the 5 volt zener diode.

Can I substitute or just not use them?

I was assuming they were a back up in case of a voltage spike to not fry the eeprom.

#2 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 30 June 2008 - 03:59 PM

QUOTE(Dorksk8tr3 @ Jun 30 2008, 10:16 AM) View Post

in the diagram to build an eeprom reader it calls for a 5 volt zener diode to be connected after the resistor ineries to ground. This is used as a voltage regulator. I thought the power from the pc and xbox was 5 volts so why the need for the zener diode? Besides. I need to build one and the only thing I can't get ahold of is the 5 volt zener diode.

Can I substitute or just not use them?

I was assuming they were a back up in case of a voltage spike to not fry the eeprom.

obcd will be able to tell you more precisely why but the general idea is something related to the serial port's signal lines voltages. They are not optional.

#3 Dorksk8tr3

Dorksk8tr3

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts
  • Interests:Skating and Playing games and Fucking Girls. :) (Oh and getting drunk while doing all three.)

Posted 30 June 2008 - 06:04 PM

Thanks...

I figured someone wouldn't design something with useless parts. elecrtical engineering is to precise. I was just hopeful..

#4 Dorksk8tr3

Dorksk8tr3

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 02:38 AM

got it made and it worked well. Now I have this....

I spent the past few days trying to save my chip. It died so I softmoded my box with ndure and the xboxhdm. It took a while becasue my drive was unlocked from the chip and I had to make an eeprom reader. Finally I got it all to work and locked the drive...

now unleashx loads and just sits there. The background moves and time counts and what not but i plug in the controller and nothing moves. Doesn't work in any ports. Thought it was the daughter board but all points check good for continuity on the pins and the board looks good too. WTF?

ANy ideas???

#5 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,568 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 01 July 2008 - 06:10 AM

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=654687

0 user(s) are reading this topic