7 replies to this topic

#1 Moonfrost

Moonfrost

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 08:35 PM

Hi, I'm trying to upgrade my Xbox hard drive to a 500gb HD by using Xboxhdm v1.9. I extracted the eeprom.bin to the linux/eeprom folder, I have extracted both my C and E drives as well and I checked that everything is there. Then I double clicked make-iso-win.bat, waited a few minutes and it made my iso image which is almost 4 gigs (I had a lot of stuff on E). I used Nero to burn to a DVD-r which always work as bootable disks I used before (for OSs and such things) but this one didn't work at all, it does not boot the disk. The computer waits for the disk by displaying a flashing cursor as usual but it doesn't do anything so it just continues booting to the Hard Drive (Windows XP). Did something go wrong? I did everything like I'm supposed to do.

I just checked the files that are in my DVD by using explorer and this is what appears there:

C

E

EEPROM

F (which is empty of course)

ISOLINUX

RR_MOVED

XBOX

ABOUT_THIS_CD.TXT (all in caps like you see it here)

CHECK (which doesn't have any extension)

README.TXT

There doesn't seem to be any bootable file of any kind? I also checked the linux.iso with Ultra ISO that make-iso-win.bat made and it's set up exactly the same way. All the bootable files for some reason seem to be in the ISOLINUX folder and they are as follows:

BOOT.CAT

FATXIMAGE (doesn't have any extension)

FREEBOOT.IMG

INITRD.GZ

ISOLINUX.BOOT

ISOLINUX.CFG

LOCKDISK (no extension)

MEMDISK (no extension, again)

MESSAGE.TXT

Unfortunately I don't have any more DVDs so I will have to go to the store and buy more but could anybody tell me what went wrong please? thanks.

EDIT: By the way, if it matters at all the exact file size of the ISO is 3.66gb...but I know that doesn't have anything to do with the problem since it fits on a DVD perfectly. I used DVD-R TDK media which I have trusted for years and works for absolutely everything, including lots of bootable programs/operating systems, Xbox games, PC games etc etc...

Also, the same files that are on the ISOLINUX folder on the ISO are also on the DVD itself.

Edited by Moonfrost, 30 June 2008 - 08:39 PM.

#2 1hotjob

1hotjob

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,761 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 01 July 2008 - 05:00 AM

Try doing it again with nothing in the E drive except the Dashboard folder. That will make the file small enough for a CD.

The Xbox will make the proper folders on the E drive. You can then FTP the rest of the E to the E drive or you can copy it off the DVD you made.

That may solve the problem of Xboxhdm building a bootable disk. You are throwing a lot of unnecessary files at it.

#3 FourTwentySmiles

FourTwentySmiles

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 01 July 2008 - 05:32 AM

I'm having a similar problem.... I used to use a Dell Dim.2350 desktop to run XboxHDM. Worked just fine everytime on that PC. Softmodded lots of xboxs.
I gave that old Dell to my wife's grandparents and now when I try using my PC ( an old Compaq Pres.SR1103) to run XboxHDM the PC reboots itself.

I want to make a new HDD for a Xbox I previously softmodded for this guy I know. I have the Eeprom for it. I set up xboxhdm with the original microsoft dash files in C and nothing in E the Eeprom in Eeprom folder.....ran the make-iso-win.bat. Burnt the Linux.iso (which is only 189,600 kb) to a cd-r.
Everything is hooked up right.....the PC detects the HDD ( on Prim. Mas. IDE) and the CD/DVD drive( on Slave IDE)......XboxHDM loads up to this screen.....IPB Image

I choose the boot VGA console (option 1)......screen goes black, you hear the PC reboot and it loads the XboxHDM disc right back to this... IPB Image

Any Ideas?

Edited by FourTwentySmiles, 01 July 2008 - 05:34 AM.

#4 Moonfrost

Moonfrost

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 07:06 AM

QUOTE(1hotjob @ Jun 30 2008, 11:36 PM) View Post

Try doing it again with nothing in the E drive except the Dashboard folder. That will make the file small enough for a CD.

The Xbox will make the proper folders on the E drive. You can then FTP the rest of the E to the E drive or you can copy it off the DVD you made.

That may solve the problem of Xboxhdm building a bootable disk. You are throwing a lot of unnecessary files at it.

Ok, so you say if I use CD-r/w that may solve the problem? well then, I'll try and see thanks.

#5 obcd

obcd

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 01 July 2008 - 11:49 AM

Xboxhdm is a "boot from cd" linux distro. Pc hardware differences might cause it to refuse to run. You could try it in a virtual pc environment like virtual pc. This will at least prove that your bootable disk is working and that the problem is somewhere in your pc hardware. You can download virtual pc free from the microsoft website.

Regards.

#6 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 01 July 2008 - 02:53 PM

Check the links in my sig:
1. xboxhdm2 - usb version of xboxhdm. better hardware support.
2. running it in a virtualized environment - qemu. in the link for hotswapping with usb/ide.

#7 Moonfrost

Moonfrost

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 03:36 PM

QUOTE(obcd @ Jul 1 2008, 06:25 AM) View Post

Xboxhdm is a "boot from cd" linux distro. Pc hardware differences might cause it to refuse to run. You could try it in a virtual pc environment like virtual pc. This will at least prove that your bootable disk is working and that the problem is somewhere in your pc hardware. You can download virtual pc free from the microsoft website.

Regards.

Well, I have 6 bootable linux distros that I all burned myself and they all work perfectly and from what I checked they seem to be set up the same way, every boot file is in ISOLINUX folder...all of those boot from DVD but maybe they were made as DVD images?

#8 Moonfrost

Moonfrost

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 02:48 AM

QUOTE(obcd @ Jul 1 2008, 06:25 AM) View Post

Regards.

Tried it on a CD putting all of C and only the Dashboard folder from E...IT WORKS!!! so Thursday or Friday I will be configuring the hard drive and after I'm done with everything I will have to FTP most things to the Xbox.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users