X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,783 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 05 July 2008 - 07:59 AM

Yeah it was me. wink.gif

I wouldn't call this a 100% complete mod as of yet, right now it's just tacked in place so it's not as solid as it will be when completed, but it is 100% working right now. This was done on the newer CG version of Wireless controller as well, so if ya have any aspirations of attempting this and have an older Matrix controller you're out of luck going about it this way because of it's trace layout for the D-pad.

It actually wasn't quite as bad as I thought it might be, only took a few hours really, though I don't recommend it for just anyone to go out and try. wink.gif

Here's the 360 shell with the section of D-pad shell from the PS3 controller installed as a test fit. Notice the huge and nasty looking gaps? This is a test controller, you'll survive.

IPB Image

After that go in the actual D-pad components...

IPB Image

...then the rubber pad. It had to be trimmed down to fit properly.

IPB Image

Now instead of opting to use Tact switches, build my own board or some other PITA setup I went ahead and tried using the existing daughter board from the PS3 controller, which is really a PITA all on it's own and if anyone has had the pleasure of tearing apart a PS2/3 controller knows it's nothing you're typically used to when messing with a controller's button contacts and is near impossible to alter in any way. This ended up working just fine after a slight modification (cutting the traces) as the PS3 button layout is far different from how the 360 works. Then in went a plastic disc (courtesy of a DVD case and the Dremel) and some hot glue to have a nice backing for the D-pad so it would work when pushed.

IPB Image

A little bit of foam padding to keep the thing from being pushed thru the incredible void that was the original 360 D-pad, again this is a test controller though something similar would be used anyway here...

IPB Image

...and finally the finished controller and close ups of the PS3 D-pad installed.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

#2 PilknDunn

PilknDunn

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Interests:Modding 360s, and Hanging out with friends...
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 05 July 2008 - 08:14 AM

I've been waiting to see that for a long time.. And, I always figured you would be the one to do it.. tongue.gif

Congrats on an awesome mod!!!

#3 Antman1

Antman1

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 05 July 2008 - 03:41 PM

WOW. Very slick. I Like this a lot. You didnt have to do much with the original 360 controllers board I bet either. Very nice RDC. This is very nice.

#4 adrian089

adrian089

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 05 July 2008 - 03:52 PM

that is by far the best thing that could happen to a 360 controller, i'd like to try that myself, know where i could pick up a broken ps3 controller for cheap? maybe ebay

#5 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,783 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 05:07 PM

QUOTE(Antman1 @ Jul 5 2008, 11:17 AM) View Post

WOW. Very slick. I Like this a lot. You didnt have to do much with the original 360 controllers board I bet either. Very nice RDC. This is very nice.

As long as ya have the CG version Wireless board (or CL version Wired one) ya don't have to do anything really to the board at all except solder on 5 wires. On the CG Wireless one you'll have to scrape down 3 Vias to solder wires to for Up, Down and Left, but Right has a nice TP spot to hit as does Ground. On the CL Wired board everything has a TP spot to hit. The majority of the work has to be done to the shell so everything fits just right.

QUOTE(adrian089 @ Jul 5 2008, 11:28 AM) View Post

that is by far the best thing that could happen to a 360 controller, i'd like to try that myself, know where i could pick up a broken ps3 controller for cheap? maybe ebay

Broken PS3 controllers on eBay are about half what a new one costs and who knows what would be wrong with it, might even be missing the parts that ya need. Either get a used one or just spring for a new one, then ya can try to make a PS360 controller or PS3 arcade stick or something completely new with the leftovers. wink.gif

NOTE: Again, anyone going to attempt this needs to make SURE you have the CG version of Wireless board or CL version of Wired one. With the older 'Matrix' style Wired and Wireless controllers this will NOT work on them because of how those boards are setup. Technically it could still be done on them, but not this exact way as the PS3 daughter board is a common line, so ya need to either have the CG or CL board for it to work with it this way.

Here is a black one I also did a little while ago, looks a lot nicer as I took some extra time fitting the D-pad in this one, that first one was just a hack job to see if it would fly, it did so from now on it's all form since the function is taken care of. Might have to get a hold of one of the White PS3 controllers to do up a white shell properly one day too.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

#6 Salincer

Salincer

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 05 July 2008 - 05:42 PM

So it works better? Also, slap the buttons from your ps360 controller in there and that would look SICK!

http://i50.photobuck...60/PS360026.jpg

#7 HackerSupreme

HackerSupreme

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 06:27 PM

You're a bad ass RDC.

But really, I don't use the D pad so...I mean it really isn't the most useful mod, but it looks amazing asthetically. And if you use the D pad then it is good for you. All I use the D pad for is calling in UAVs, Air Strikes, and Helicopter. smile.gif

#8 Salincer

Salincer

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 05 July 2008 - 06:43 PM

QUOTE(HackerSupreme @ Jul 5 2008, 02:03 PM) View Post

You're a bad ass RDC.

But really, I don't use the D pad so...I mean it really isn't the most useful mod, but it looks amazing asthetically. And if you use the D pad then it is good for you. All I use the D pad for is calling in UAVs, Air Strikes, and Helicopter. smile.gif

Makes me cry when im in my 10th prestige and i still havent seen a heli in SnD
But i have airstriked my own team smile.gif

#9 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,783 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 06:46 PM

QUOTE(Salincer @ Jul 5 2008, 01:18 PM) View Post

So it works better? Also, slap the buttons from your ps360 controller in there and that would look SICK!

http://i50.photobuck...60/PS360026.jpg

Much better than the retch of a 360 D-pad that was in there before. I'll be redoing the D-pad on the PS360 controller sooner or later, but this is just a straight up 360 controller with the D-pad replaced.

QUOTE(HackerSupreme @ Jul 5 2008, 02:03 PM) View Post

You're a bad ass RDC.

Thanks.

If ya played even one game that actually needed it to be accurate even 2 times in a row you'd have a way different opinion of it as far as usefulness goes. wink.gif Most games are geared toward using the analog sticks and the D-pad is for minor things mostly if really even needed at all, but when ya get into playing something that actually is heavy on using it, Live Arcade games or some fighting games, then ya find out how bad it really is.

#10 HackerSupreme

HackerSupreme

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 07:10 PM

O yes I know exactly what you are talking about and it is pretty shit. Just I don't use it. And I am not going to buy a PS3 controller just to upgrade the D pad. smile.gif

#11 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,783 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 08:37 PM

Too bad, it's actually one of the better uses for it. wink.gif

#12 HackerSupreme

HackerSupreme

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 10:41 PM

QUOTE(RDC @ Jul 5 2008, 04:13 PM) View Post

Too bad, it's actually one of the better uses for it. wink.gif

They really suck that bad?

#13 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,783 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 03:53 AM

If ya mean the PS3 controllers, not really, that's called humor, but in a 360 forum it just fits much better. wink.gif If ya mean the D-pad on the 360 controller I'm not much fond of it personally, but it's not a deal breaker for the controller, some games yes because needing a good D-pad is essential, but not the controller overall.

Really depends on your controller preference though. There are plenty who would agree a PS3 controller sacrificing it's D-pad for a 360 controller is the only useful thing it ever did, while there are others that would loath to see a PS3 D-pad on a 360 controller and can't stand the feel of it at all.

I really neither praise or despise any particular controller setup, because if something isn't right I either change it, try to change it or just don't use it. The D-pad on the 360 is the reason I stopped playing DOA4 though and I have a friend that uses the D-pad heavily in THPS games and I fixed that controller a couple of times from it going sailing across the room because of the D-pad issues the 360 controller has.

#14 360 hAcKaH

360 hAcKaH

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 06 July 2008 - 05:11 AM

Hats off to you my friend, I definitiley like the look, though I'm gonna admit I'm not gonna try it myself laugh.gif Controllers aren't my strong point wink.gif

#15 Crazy Germans

Crazy Germans

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 05:57 AM

looks great. It'll be a lot better than the 360 Dpad

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users