#1 JAMESveeder

JAMESveeder

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 09 July 2008 - 06:30 AM

Hello. Hah, I'm definitely very new too this whole mod scene so, if you guys don't mind helping me out with some really n00bish questions, that'd be great.

So, I want to use a flash drive instead of a memory card (I have a converter that I can plug into the controller) to put the game saves on and transfer them over to my Xbox (because I don't have a memory card, or the cords to convert the controller to USB1, although I'm sure I could make one if it came down to it.)

I've tried using OzX Memory Stick Explorer LE to put zip files of the Splinter Cell saved game, so I can boot Linux up on my Xbox. But I can't get the saved file on the flash drive correctly. I've also downloaded the MechAssault saves. This group of files had a '.img' file, and when I put that onto my flash drive, and plugged the flash drive into my controller, the Xbox reads it. But, I don't have the MechAssault game, and it just loads that the game was played and none of the save files which means I can't use it. So If someone could help me out with this that would be great.

Basically I want the Splinter Cell saves containing Linux onto a flash drive (in which I can plug into the controller, like a memory card) so that I can boot Linux on my Xbox without opening it up.

If this isn't possible, please let me know. Thanks.

James.

#2 JordanQ

JordanQ

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 09 July 2008 - 06:36 AM

QUOTE(JAMESveeder @ Jul 9 2008, 07:06 AM) View Post

Hello. Hah, I'm definitely very new too this whole mod scene so, if you guys don't mind helping me out with some really n00bish questions, that'd be great.

So, I want to use a flash drive instead of a memory card (I have a converter that I can plug into the controller) to put the game saves on and transfer them over to my Xbox (because I don't have a memory card, or the cords to convert the controller to USB1, although I'm sure I could make one if it came down to it.)

I've tried using OzX Memory Stick Explorer LE to put zip files of the Splinter Cell saved game, so I can boot Linux up on my Xbox. But I can't get the saved file on the flash drive correctly. I've also downloaded the MechAssault saves. This group of files had a '.img' file, and when I put that onto my flash drive, and plugged the flash drive into my controller, the Xbox reads it. But, I don't have the MechAssault game, and it just loads that the game was played and none of the save files which means I can't use it. So If someone could help me out with this that would be great.

Basically I want the Splinter Cell saves containing Linux onto a flash drive (in which I can plug into the controller, like a memory card) so that I can boot Linux on my Xbox without opening it up.

If this isn't possible, please let me know. Thanks.

James.

so your xbox is stock? is not softmodded already?

welll i can't help ya there but from one noob to another, isn't there a way to softmod with a burnt cd?

i don't know.

uhh.gif

#3 JAMESveeder

JAMESveeder

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 06:57 AM

Yeah, everything on my Xbox is stock, no mods yet or anything. But I got a 360 and figured, why not try some of this.

I'm pretty sure you can't burn a CD and softmod it, the Xbox won't read it.

I've made some progress though, I just got ActionReplay to read my flash drive as a memory card biggrin.gif

#4 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,567 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 09 July 2008 - 06:59 AM

QUOTE(JAMESveeder @ Jul 9 2008, 02:06 PM) View Post

To start with, it's best that you install a stable softmod. The Linux specific save games are very old and usually don't work (they're aimed at a very specific dashboard version and odds are your console doesn't have it).

Goto X-Bins and get yourself a copy of Krazie's NDure. If you're having problems with OzX try Xplorer360 instead. If you're unsure as to how the files should be placed on the USB drive, try using the Microsoft dashboard (that green menu system on the X-Box that lets you deal with saves and music and stuff) to copy a "sample" save game on there, then use Xplorer360 to see what it looks like.

When you've got NDure setup as your softmod, the console will switch to either EvoX or UnleashX as the dashboard. When you've got it to that stage you can consider getting Linux to boot.

QUOTE(JordanQ @ Jul 9 2008, 02:12 PM) View Post
isn't there a way to softmod with a burnt cd?

Not when starting from scratch, no.

#5 JAMESveeder

JAMESveeder

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 07:06 AM

Ok, well now that you've said that, I have Softmod Installer Deluxe up and running on my Xbox, but I'm iffy on whether I should install it or not now.

#6 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • 6,567 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 07:17 AM

SID will work just as well, but you'll find it harder to recover from should you stuff things up. I'd recommend NDure.

Though with the SID installer menu up and running, you can plug in a network cable and access the system via FTP. Good chance to grab a backup of the unmodified file structure.

#7 JAMESveeder

JAMESveeder

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 09:17 AM

I went ahead and installed it, I put the dash UnleashX onto my Xbox.

And, actually, I'm having trouble networking my computer and my Xbox now.

I have an Ethernet cable plugged into the back of my Xbox and the back of my PC, but my PC doesn't detect the connection whatsoever, although it DOES detect it when it's connected to my Xbox360, so I know it's not the cable.

I looked at the tutorials in the FAQ, and they didn't help with my current problem, does anyone have an idea why my computer/Xbox may be doing this?

#8 Mikesshunk

Mikesshunk

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Interests:Modding, Electronics, Football.

Posted 09 July 2008 - 09:21 AM

Are you using a crossover cable?

#9 JAMESveeder

JAMESveeder

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 09:23 AM

I believe so, if that's what an Ethernet cable (with nothing in between) connecting my Xbox directly to my computer is.

Like, the connection to the Xbox is going through my LAN, well, I want it to, but my computer doesn't detect it.

Edited by JAMESveeder, 09 July 2008 - 09:27 AM.

#10 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • 6,567 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 11:41 AM

An ethernet cable can either be a "straight through" or a "crossover". At a glance the two types appear identical. If you take a close look at the colored wires in the plugs, you'll see that they either match perfectly at each end (straight), or that a few get swapped around (crossover).

When connecting two devices directly together you need to use a cross over cable. Some devices let you break this rule. For now I'd advise following this guide.

#11 Millerboy3

Millerboy3

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 09 July 2008 - 12:48 PM

for the original xbox a crossover cable is needed for direct connection because the network adapter is not auto-switching like that of the adapter in the xbox 360 which allows you to use a straight through cable or crossover cable at your own discretion.

#12 JAMESveeder

JAMESveeder

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 08:36 PM

Wow, I'll check that out. Do they sell obvious cross-over cables at computer stores and whatnot?

#13 JAMESveeder

JAMESveeder

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 10:36 PM

Okay, so I found out I do have a crossover cable in my house and my computer now detects it, so basically this topic is

SOLVED

but if people could help me with my DVD problem over here that would be great.

Thanks for all your help guys smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users