• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 xboxdemonseed

xboxdemonseed

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 08:17 AM

i have had the mortal kombat pack that was made a few years back with the CDX menui was trying to see if i could hack it to play ultimate mk3 with the others do i need to recompile the entire app or the xbe???

ive tried to rename it (like a noob) from ultmk3.sr to mk3.sr but it locks up sad.gif any one have any ideas??

#2 VampX

VampX

X-S Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,149 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:none

Posted 11 July 2008 - 11:11 AM

We have a thread about this somewhere hidden deep in the emu forum, (since its an emulator and all)

not much ever came from it, we tried to hack the xbe with a hex editor to use the umk3 rom from the ps2 release,
but no luck..

and unless you have the source code (which you don't) don't use the word recompile. wink.gif

is it possible? I'd like to think that it is, after all the ps2 version plays umk3 just fine (i should know i played it yesterday)
its just not gonna happen with just us beginner hackers working on it.

#3 xboxdemonseed

xboxdemonseed

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE(VampX @ Jul 11 2008, 11:47 AM) View Post

We have a thread about this somewhere hidden deep in the emu forum, (since its an emulator and all)

not much ever came from it, we tried to hack the xbe with a hex editor to use the umk3 rom from the ps2 release,
but no luck..

and unless you have the source code (which you don't) don't use the word recompile. wink.gif

is it possible? I'd like to think that it is, after all the ps2 version plays umk3 just fine (i should know i played it yesterday)
its just not gonna happen with just us beginner hackers working on it.

one of my friends told me that the .sr files are basically roms xD so that must mean there emulated so it must be possible

#4 WermX

WermX

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 11 July 2008 - 09:41 PM

While I have no idea what you guys are talking about, did you know about the specialized genesis version of MK released?

I know it isn't the same but it's pretty fun on it's own.

#5 l11l1VeNoM1l11l

l11l1VeNoM1l11l

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 12 July 2008 - 03:59 PM

We're talking about Midway Arcade Treasures 2 again, aren't we?

I'm really hoping this little *bump* will inspire someone to work on it a little harder. Having all 4 games in one package would be incredible. MAME just doesn't cut it...even with the speed hacks.

However, I'm really thinking that it's nearly the SAME thing as MAME and the difference lies in the "roms."

Notice how the sound seems a lot less full in MK2 and MK3? It's a "speed hack." I'm guessing the only thing they did was run the sound differently, like separate WAV files that didn't require emulation, and they lowered the frequency to save system resources.

Really, all that needs to be done is a solid modification to MAT2. All of the separate WAV files need to be made for UMK3 and the whole ROM needs to be reconstructed to work exactly like the MK3 .sr file.

Then, a space needs to be made in the MAT2 main menu. I'm guessing this is where the source code would be required.

The big problem is just that the necessary sound files that need to run along with UMK3 aren't there to begin with, and after you put them there, you have to code the MAT2 emulator to locate them correctly.

It's playing UMK3 without sound until someone can hack this successfully.

OR...

Someone could code a better emulator from the ground up and use the same method as MAT2. Take the MAME MK .zip ROMs and run them without emulating the sound, but make it so the emulator runs the background music for each stage and the sound effects in separate .wav, .mp3, or .wma files ON TOP of the muted emulation.

I tried running UMK3 on a 1.4 ghz celeron and it couldn't even do it with the sound enabled. That is some HARD sound processing to emulate, apparently. So...all that needs to be done is to change the way the sound is processed.

#6 l11l1VeNoM1l11l

l11l1VeNoM1l11l

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 12:09 AM

WAIIIIT A SECOND.

I never knew this exclusive MK homebrew existed. I can't download it at the moment, but I will soon.

What is it, exactly? Just a MAT2 - all of the other games + MK1?

If that's the case, I think I might be able to get the UMK3 .sr to work...if someone could tell me where to locate it.

#7 xboxdemonseed

xboxdemonseed

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 05:09 AM

QUOTE(l11l1VeNoM1l11l @ Jul 14 2008, 12:45 AM) View Post

WAIIIIT A SECOND.

I never knew this exclusive MK homebrew existed. I can't download it at the moment, but I will soon.

If that's the case, I think I might be able to get the UMK3 .sr to work...if someone could tell me where to locate it.

PM sent ^^

#8 VampX

VampX

X-S Legend

• 5,149 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 03:20 PM

QUOTE(l11l1VeNoM1l11l @ Jul 14 2008, 01:45 AM) View Post

WAIIIIT A SECOND.
okay..

It's not a homebrew, its a ripped piece of the MK emulator from MAT2

Originally Midway created an emulator for the MK games, but then they decided to make MK1 an exclusive
for the collectors edition of MK Deception or something,
so they blanked out the MK1 name from the menu, however MK1 can be started from the empty position,
but it wont have sound..

We all said the same when we first got our hands on the MAT2 emulator, (which we of course all ripped from MAT2 ourselves)
but its just not that simple, we tried to rename umk3.sr to mk3.sr,
we tried to hex edit the xbe to use umk3.sr instead of mk3.sr,
we tried to rename the internal filenames of umk3.sr to match those of mk3.sr
but no luck.

so i hope you weren't thinking of trying any of that, because it won't work.

Edited by VampX, 14 July 2008 - 03:21 PM.

#9 l11l1VeNoM1l11l

l11l1VeNoM1l11l

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 04:24 PM

I'd just like to take a look at the file structure. The reason MK1 doesn't have any sound is because the files aren't there, I'm assuming.

I remember reading that there are separate .wav files either within the .sr files or somewhere else.

I have the Sega CD version of Mortal Kombat, so I can use the sound files from that to enable sound...theoretically.

And if I can tinker with this and find a way to get UMK3 to work, then just MAYBE I could add the sounds for that too.

I don't understand what makes it crash, though. If MK1 will play fine without the sound effects being available, then that's obviously not what is causing UMK3 to fail. I wonder if there is a built-in RAM limitation or if UMK3 is just sucking up ALL of the leftover memory before it even loads.

Or these .sr files are officially "ported" to each platform.

Has anyone ever tried running the MK1, MK2, or MK3 .SRs from the X-Box on the PS2?

Edited by l11l1VeNoM1l11l, 14 July 2008 - 04:31 PM.

#10 l11l1VeNoM1l11l

l11l1VeNoM1l11l

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 04:53 PM

Just for the record, whenever I try to rename a MAME .zip, it breaks the ROM entirely as well. So I'm pretty sure renaming in any sense just wouldn't work.

#11 l11l1VeNoM1l11l

l11l1VeNoM1l11l

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 05:15 PM

-continued-

Perhaps that's what the hex-editing was intended to fix, though.

There are a lot of different versions of these MK emulators. It was made for X-Box, PS2, PC, and PSP. I think if we looked into every single one we could find a way to make UMK3 work.

I also read that when "Test Your Might" comes into play in MK1 on the X-Box, the emulation freezes. What could possibly cause this? I wonder if it's the same problem that causes UMK3 to freeze at launch.

#12 l11l1VeNoM1l11l

l11l1VeNoM1l11l

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 11:00 PM

*sigh* Why does no one care about MK as much as I do? sleep.gif

#13 VampX

VampX

X-S Legend

• 5,149 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 03:10 AM

QUOTE(l11l1VeNoM1l11l @ Jul 18 2008, 12:36 AM) View Post

*sigh* Why does no one care about MK as much as I do? sleep.gif

Because we already discussed everything years ago?

Edit : Someone kidnap one of them crazy asian pirate rom makers, they always manage to do some crazy reverse engineering tricks biggrin.gif

Edited by VampX, 18 July 2008 - 03:15 AM.

#14 l11l1VeNoM1l11l

l11l1VeNoM1l11l

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 05:43 PM

Well, I think I may have found the problem. I looked over every Mortal Kombat MAME ROM,the file layout of the PS2 version of MK:A with UMKT, and MAT2 for X-Box.

The pickle I am currently stuck in : Finding a way to extract and repack the contents of .sr files.

Can anyone help me out here?

Just for shits and giggles...this sounds extremely stupid, but it might lead to something. I need someone with a 128 MB X-Box to change the name of MK2.sr to MK2.zip and try to run it through MAME OX. It begins to load, but runs out of memory...just barely on a 64 MB box. I doubt if it loads fully it will actually play, considering it isn't even a real zip file and MAME probably won't be able to unpack it, BUT it's worth a shot. If it works, then there's really no reason why UMK3.sr from the PS2 won't be able to run in conjunction with MK3.zip through MAME if renamed to UMK3.zip.

Like I said, it's probably not gonna happen. If it does work, it will only run on 128 mb boxes and probably without any sound, but at least it would be a small lead.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Has anyone attempted extracting the contents of MK3.sr and packing them into UMK3.sr? Don't forget UMK3 requires MK3's files in order to run and jarvos.xbe won't look for them in the MK3.sr.

#15 l11l1VeNoM1l11l

l11l1VeNoM1l11l

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 04:33 PM

Okay, here's something interesting. I'd take a screenshot to make this easier, but I'm using a 1999 iMac keyboard and there's no printscreen. There's no DEL button either, and THAT gets annoying. Anyway...

The following reveals the file structure of the MK.sr files for each system.

X-Box:

MK1.sr

mk1eerom.rom @ 16384 b
mk1.rom @ 1048576 b
mk1image.rom @ 6291456 b

.wav files: skipping some numbers, ending at #475. Some at 44.100 khz sample rate and some at 22.010 khz.

Total size: 134 mb

MK2.sr

mk2eerom.rom @ 16384 b
mk2.rom @ 1048576 b
mk2image.rom @ 12582912 b

.wav files: skipping some numbers, ending at #1400. Some at 44.100 khz sample rate and some at 22.010 khz.

Total size: 135 mb

MK3.sr

mk3eerom.rom @ 49152 b
mk3.rom @ 1048576 b
mk3image.rom @ 18874368 b

.wav files: skipping some numbers, ending at #20030. All at 11.025 khz sample rate.

Total size: 93.9 mb

PS2:

MK1.sr

mk1eerom.rom @ 16384 b
mk1.rom @ 1048576 b
mk1image.rom @ 6291456 b

.wav files: skipping some numbers, ending at #475. Some at 44.100 khz sample rate and some at 11.025 khz.

Total size: 127 mb

MK2.sr

mk2eerom.rom @ 16384 b
mk2.rom @ 1048576 b
mk2image.rom @ 12582912 b

.wav files: skipping some numbers, ending at #1400. Some at 44.100 khz sample rate,
some at 11.025 khz, and some at 22.050 khz.

Total size: 129 mb

UMK3.sr

umk3.rom @ 1048576 b
umk3eerom.rom @ 49152 b
umkimage2.rom @ 25165824 b

.wav files: skipping some numbers, ending at #21185. All at 11.025 khz sample rate.

Total size: 103 mb

So what I gather from this...

The PS2 .sr files are smaller in size because the .wav files within them are at smaller sample rates. I'm not sure if this was to reduce strain on the PS2's sound processing (or CPU in general), or to reduce the RAM requirements.

Notice all of the ROM "image" files are named mk1image.rom, mk2image.rom, and mk3image.rom. UMK3's is named UMKimage2.rom. When people were trying to hexedit to change the file names, did they keep this in mind?

I do not believe the lockup when trying to load UMK3.sr on X-Box is caused by a RAM limitation. It is simply a conflict between jarvos.xbe and the names of the .rom files inside the .sr. The names of the .rom files either need to be changed to MK3 (which would replace the mk3.sr) or perhaps umkimage2.rom needs to be changed to umk3image.rom.

I'm assuming that when the hex-editing happened, someone accidentally named the files like this.

umk3.rom - mk3.rom
umk3eerom.rom - mk3eerom.rom
umkimage2.rom - mkimage2.rom (or mk3image2.rom)

Being tricked and making the simple mistake at the end like that would cause the lockup and convince the previous hacker that it simply would not work.

I'd say let's give this another shot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users