• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dm83737

dm83737

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 06:07 AM

I followed a certain set of directions to try to make my XBox into a MythTV frontend and ditch my DVR service since it is pretty much cr@p, after doing so however, I can no longer log into my XBox via FTP and get the red light of death on each power on. I have posted the instructions below in hopes that someone else has had this problem or sees a way to fix this issue... thanks:

Both versions work in the same manner:

1. Find out the filename of your current dashboard (i.e C:\evoxdash.xbe for the Evox dashboard): That is the dashboard your Xbox is booting.

2. Rename your current dashboard to an alternate bootable name. This will be used as a fallback if execution of the new shortcut fails. Consult the table below, or www.xbox-scene.com for details on your dash.

3. Download the XBMC Shortcut XBE from the link above and rename it to whatever the dash was named (usually evoxdash.xbe)

4. Upload the renamed Shortcut XBE (i.e. evoxdash.xbe) to where the old dash was (Usually the root of the C: drive). The Shortcut XBE is now effectively your dashboard(!)

5. Install XBMC as a regular application to somewhere on E: or F: (for example, E:\Apps\XBMC) (Instructions on how to install XBMC can be found under Installing XBMC as an Application)

6. Create a text file on your computer with the same name as your renamed Shortcut XBE, except with the extension .cfg instead of .xbe (i.e. evoxdash.cfg) and put the path to the installed XBMC\default.xbe inside it (eg. E:\Apps\XBMC\default.xbe)

7. Upload the text file you just created to the same place you uploaded ShortcutXBE to in step 4. You should now have two files in your boot dash location. If your previous dashboard was Evox, These files will be named evoxdash.xbe and evoxdash.cfg. The .xbe is the shortcut XBE you just uploaded, the .cfg is the text file containing a path to XBMCs default.xbe

8. Reboot

Congratulations, now you are all set and don't need to alter the shortcut again, unless you change location of XBMC's default.xbe.

* Please note that step 2 is optional. The actual fallback order is BIOS dependant. If you dont know what BIOS you are running, you're at risk. First try the xbe given by the .cfg file. Otherwise, the following filenames can be tried. But, the safest backup is to create a bootable rescue disc with a ftp enabled dashboard on it. See xbox-scene.com for details.

C:\avalaunch.xbe
C:\unleashx.xbe
C:\xbmc.xbe
C:\evoxdash.xbe
C:\xboxdash.xbe
C:\default.xbe
C:\msdash.xbe

#2 FourTwentySmiles

FourTwentySmiles

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 14 July 2008 - 06:45 AM

How was the xbox modded? Chip? Softmod? TSOP?

#3 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,567 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 14 July 2008 - 08:02 AM

So when you turn the console on, you just get the red light and that's it? It doesn't flash, the TV displays no video/audio/error page?

#4 dm83737

dm83737

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 02:17 PM

It was modded with a chip, the Xenium ICE I believe... my brother did it. I also know that it is the 1.6 version or whichever one was difficult to do back in the day. The red light blinks and the fan comes on and off. I know I tripped the recovery setting in the BIOS, so I know I need to open it up and flip that switch before I do anything. But before I did that, I know I was having the same issue (red light, unable to get anything on the screen when turned on). It has been awhile however, so I think I will try that switch and then see what happens afterwards and let you know.

Thanks for your help here initially and in the future

#5 jskinny_de

jskinny_de

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 09:02 AM

QUOTE(dm83737 @ Jul 16 2008, 02:53 PM) View Post

It was modded with a chip, the Xenium ICE I believe... my brother did it. I also know that it is the 1.6 version or whichever one was difficult to do back in the day. The red light blinks and the fan comes on and off. I know I tripped the recovery setting in the BIOS, so I know I need to open it up and flip that switch before I do anything. But before I did that, I know I was having the same issue (red light, unable to get anything on the screen when turned on). It has been awhile however, so I think I will try that switch and then see what happens afterwards and let you know.

Thanks for your help here initially and in the future

It sounds to me like the chip has moved and come loose. I have a tool used to remove a car stereo that I insert through the vent holes in the side and I push down on the chip to resettle it. It usually fixes this problem for me. Just make sure you power off before doing this.

Ask your brother if he could reposition the chip for you or open the box yourself and push it back in yourself. Maybe give the retaining screw a tighten!

Edited by jskinny_de, 26 July 2008 - 09:03 AM.

#6 mangoninja

mangoninja

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 26 July 2008 - 09:49 AM

I had a similar problem when trying to follow those stupid instructions to make XBMC as my default dashboard. After i rebooted my xbox came up with a 'Your xbox is in need of service' followed by a bunch of japanese writing and red LED light. I then had to put in the Mech Assault game and softmod it again from scratch. Once that was fixed i then followed these instructions which were 'foolproof' and it worked tongue.gif

--

FTP the default.xbe and evox.ini in the E:\dashboard to the PC. This is a back up. Rename default.xbe to evoxdash.xbe. FTP evoxdash.xbe and the evox.ini to the C drive. If XBMC fails for some reason it will look for and load evoxdash.xbe.

FTP the "SHORTCUT by TEAM XBMC.xbe" file to the E:\dashboard folder. In FlashFXP you have the option to right click on the file and "transfer as". Use that option and transfer as default.xbe Over write the default.xbe in there. If you can't transfer as, transfer it as is. Rename the default.xbe that is currently in the E:\dashboard folder to evox.xbe and then rename the SHORTCUT by TEAM XBMC.xbe to default.xbe. Works either way.

Create a text file using notepad or another text editor that has one line.

E:\Apps\XBMC\default.xbe

Save it as default.cfg

FTP it to the Xbox in the E:\dashboard folder.

Reboot the Xbox and you will have XBMC as your dash.

#7 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 26 July 2008 - 04:56 PM

QUOTE(mangoninja @ Jul 26 2008, 05:25 PM) View Post

I had a similar problem when trying to follow those stupid instructions to make XBMC as my default dashboard. After i rebooted my xbox came up with a 'Your xbox is in need of service' followed by a bunch of japanese writing and red LED light.

The reason why the instructions didn't work for you in the first place is due to the boot sequence of dash for chipped xbox and softmod xbox. The XBMC wiki was referring to chipped bios where the dashes are on C drive while softmods with shadow C protection typically place the dash on E:\ and xboxdash.xbe is the key to booting to a state when unsigned code can be run and must not be renamed or changed. I've seen many posts by members that broke their softmod xbox after attempting to install XBMC as main dash without understanding the role that xboxdash.xbe plays.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users