9 replies to this topic

#1 tino_b

tino_b

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 01:44 AM

Hey all.

First off, let me just say that I'm running the iXtreme 1.41 firmware on a HDMI console, in Australia. I create the backups with XBC 2.8 on a Kreon drive.

Now, I've made backups of all the games I own, and I (almost always) play them off the backups, not the original. Unless I'm playing online. I actually pull out the network cable when I play a backup - just to be sure.

So here's what happened, my housemate asked if he could play Halo 3, I said sure, and that the disc was in the wallet with the rest of them (the backups.) I figured he just wanted to play the campaign. Opps! I come into the lounge 3 hours later, and he's having a great time losing a slayer online. If I had have known he wanted to play online, I would have pointed him towards the real disc - hidden in the TV cabinet.

Anyway, so my point is - I'm still able to go on live (with the real discs) and I havn't dared try with a backup again. BUT! Am I on a one-way street going to ban-town now? I mean, he was online off the backup for like 3 hours, isn't that bad?

If someone could just clear up for me if I'm screwed or not, that'd be great.

#2 OggyUK

OggyUK

X-S Freak

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 15 July 2008 - 09:08 AM

You should be safe but we will never know until you are banned lol

#3 beatendown666

beatendown666

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 09:13 AM

QUOTE(tino_b @ Jul 14 2008, 08:20 PM) View Post

Hey all.

First off, let me just say that I'm running the iXtreme 1.41 firmware on a HDMI console, in Australia. I create the backups with XBC 2.8 on a Kreon drive.

Now, I've made backups of all the games I own, and I (almost always) play them off the backups, not the original. Unless I'm playing online. I actually pull out the network cable when I play a backup - just to be sure.

So here's what happened, my housemate asked if he could play Halo 3, I said sure, and that the disc was in the wallet with the rest of them (the backups.) I figured he just wanted to play the campaign. Opps! I come into the lounge 3 hours later, and he's having a great time losing a slayer online. If I had have known he wanted to play online, I would have pointed him towards the real disc - hidden in the TV cabinet.

Anyway, so my point is - I'm still able to go on live (with the real discs) and I havn't dared try with a backup again. BUT! Am I on a one-way street going to ban-town now? I mean, he was online off the backup for like 3 hours, isn't that bad?

If someone could just clear up for me if I'm screwed or not, that'd be great.

Chill man, I only play backups online or offline because that is the point of backups to keep your originals safe and it has been almost a year and I haven't been banned. still on ixtreme 1.3 by the way pop.gif

#4 tino_b

tino_b

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 12:10 PM

Sooooo you're saying that I'm (unless they come up with something new) alright to play the backups online?

That'd be sweet, because then I could just lock the originals away from drunk housemates for good.

I didn't think it would matter (being a really, really low level mod,) but some conformation is always nice.

Has anyone been banned using this modification before?

#5 OggyUK

OggyUK

X-S Freak

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 12:45 PM

What Im saying is as you have only booted one game - you probably have not given anyone enough data for them to ban you as they would want to know for sure before banning you

#6 tino_b

tino_b

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 01:24 PM

Ok, so I did a little research.

Since you're not actually booting unsigned code (like you do with a modchip) you're just changing what the dvd-rom reads from the header, for all intents and purposes, the xbox OS thinks that the game you're playing is the original. So my question is, if the xbox cannot tell that your dvd-rom has been flashed, and your disc is it bit-for-bit copy (like when done with a Kreon drive,) how else can they tell that the disc is not an original?

#7 Ranger72

Ranger72

MOD GOD

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,808 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 15 July 2008 - 04:23 PM

QUOTE(tino_b @ Jul 15 2008, 02:00 PM) View Post

Ok, so I did a little research.

Since you're not actually booting unsigned code (like you do with a modchip) you're just changing what the dvd-rom reads from the header, for all intents and purposes, the xbox OS thinks that the game you're playing is the original. So my question is, if the xbox cannot tell that your dvd-rom has been flashed, and your disc is it bit-for-bit copy (like when done with a Kreon drive,) how else can they tell that the disc is not an original?

Most people who got banned did so by using bad backups that was not 100% bit for bit. The new firmware checks for this and will not load a backup if it believes it is not 100% safe.

However at the end of the day nobody but Microsoft knows what they can or cant do.

#8 tino_b

tino_b

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 02:07 AM

Cheers guys.

Well, it seems to me like alot of people just do it already anyway, so it looks safe enough.

Although, I have the real discs, so I think I'll just run it off them instead.

#9 nevadabob24

nevadabob24

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 18 July 2008 - 11:55 AM

I have iXtreme 1.4 and have been playing my backups online since February this year. I haven't heard of many people getting banned with the new firmware unless they use bad backups. But i'm skeptical that when microsoft release the new dashboaard update this fall there is gonna be a huge ban wave.

#10 Havok

Havok

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 07:47 AM

According to the rules of this forums. Backups should NOT be played online as it violates the Live TOS.

Sorry guys. Closed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users