Photo

Xbox 360 Diagnosis Please - No Light Of Light!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 THE J0KER

THE J0KER

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 01:17 PM

Xbox 360 Diagnosis please

No Ring of light! - Power button has no lights showing up, I am to power up and eject. Games Load.

- Controllers don't work anymore, and 4 green lights blinking. I pushed the sync button on the controller and still not working.

I search all over google. I dunno what to do. Lack of information no lights.

This is the only thing I can find

http://www.fixya.com...t_up_controlers

and here

http://www.overclock...360-broken.html

"I just moved and when I hooked my 360 back up, the consel would dispay the normal xbox360 boot, but the lights in the ring do not light up and the controllers will not sync."

"Alright, so I went to turn on my 360 with the controller and nothing happened. I checked to see if it was plugged in and it was. So I press the power button on the console and it starts up. But the weird part is the power light and ring of lights isn't working. So the controller isn't seeing the 360 and vise versa"

I would to fix it myself but there's like no information on how to repair this.

Edited by THE J0KER, 18 July 2008 - 01:20 PM.

#2 Gothguy

Gothguy

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 18 July 2008 - 05:28 PM

Sounds like you a bad rf board (Ring Of Lights) Search on Ebay for a rf board and check the costs and then search around here a tutorial of how to take apart your console so u can fix your rf board yourself. If you need me to find a tutorial of how to disassemble you 360 i will and i will also find a pic or tut of what the RF board looks like if u need

Edited by Gothguy, 18 July 2008 - 05:28 PM.

#3 DJEuthyphro

DJEuthyphro

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 10:24 PM

QUOTE(Gothguy @ Jul 18 2008, 10:04 AM) View Post

Sounds like you a bad rf board (Ring Of Lights) Search on Ebay for a rf board and check the costs and then search around here a tutorial of how to take apart your console so u can fix your rf board yourself. If you need me to find a tutorial of how to disassemble you 360 i will and i will also find a pic or tut of what the RF board looks like if u need

I concur. Replacing the rf board is very simple and there is very little risk of damaging your console further. Once your xbox 360 is opened, just unplug the supposedly broken one and plug in the new one. I've seen rf boards on ebay for as little as ten dollars.

#4 asddsaasdds

asddsaasdds

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 05:12 PM

What happened? Did you fix the console? Because I have the same problem, I wanna know if you've overcomed this problem uhh.gif

#5 manpee

manpee

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 73 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 22 March 2010 - 11:14 PM

sorry for bringing up an old post

but i just recently received an xbox with the same problem.

i have tried 4 different rf boards and it still doesn't work..

i think something is wrong with the mobo.

where on the mobo should i look for damage that would do this.

what readings should i get if i hook up a multimeter to the pins on the rfjack

#6 wilgo45

wilgo45

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 05:04 AM

No power to system is not always a bad RF board.

I'd put money on that it is something else.

I've seen quite a few systems. Have yet to see one that has a crapped RF module. They're fairly sturdy and protected. They do quite well.

A power surge could ruin one. Or a good full system drop down the stairs.

#7 pr gamer

pr gamer

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:12 PM

QUOTE(wilgo45 @ Mar 23 2010, 12:04 AM) View Post

No power to system is not always a bad RF board.

I'd put money on that it is something else.

I've seen quite a few systems. Have yet to see one that has a crapped RF module. They're fairly sturdy and protected. They do quite well.

A power surge could ruin one. Or a good full system drop down the stairs.

Old thread, but bought an XBox 360 4GB w/ Kinect Bundle three (3) weeks ago, as a Christmas gift for my son. Dad bought Halo Reach and Forza Motorsports for himself. Unit was setup and everything worked fine, after two uses the X-light on the controller started to blink, tried to synchronize again, and it wouldn't sync. Thought the unit powered up, the screens came up normally, and Kinect games worked, there were no lights on the console power button, therefore no way to sync controllers. Called MS XBox support, and they are baffled, and say it is the first time they hear about this problem. Since it hasn't been 30 days, upon MS advise, I will take the unit to the store (Gamestop), and have it exchanged for a new one. I have heard of red lights, green lights, etc. But, apparently no-lights problem is very rare.

* Unit is connected to a UPS battery, and has not been dropped or moved since setup.

Edited by pr gamer, 06 January 2011 - 07:13 PM.

#8 Weirdjerz3y

Weirdjerz3y

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:24 PM

If your Xbox360 S is connected to a battery, what happens when you connect it to a outlet? Could be a power issue? Try an outlet, if not just exchange the xbox.

#9 burnt01

burnt01

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:37 AM

This is really to answer the original problem/help people with this problem in the future.

I've got this problem/still have it. but ive worked out the cause.

Now i've found that using a wired controller works!, also if i connect a wireless controller with a plug and charge kit it also works, even when you unplug it! (although wont resync after u turn the console off)

So i've left it as that and my kids are happy, but im not.... i've been trying to find the cause since!

Here it is, some how a trace between the rf socket and the southbridge have been cut or bridged!

after looking into how the the rf board works, I find its basically 3 parts. a bluetooth usb device, a basic command device, and a power switch. So i can turn it on and the bluetooth works (because i can unplug the wireless and it still work) but the command side (the southbridge tells it to spin the lights, show power, sync, also tells it what bluetooth device to watch out for) doesn't work

The southbridge works because the console can use usb hdd lan etc so its the connection between

This is were the first time i couldnt figure it out, I couldnt find a brake in the trace (they are very small) or were the trace ends.

using the pinouts found here:

http://dwl.xbox-scen...-HandC-V1_4.pdf

pins 6 and 7 are what were looking at

i now found it out using a multi meter on and old board (not the same but im hoping it will translate) where they the terminate (see picture)

IPB Image

The alt is the closest easy solder location, but watch out, this could be where your issue is (if your like me and installed the jtag diodes that made the problem, its very close to here)

so just jump from the connector pin to the end of the trace, but remember if theres a bridge in the trace you may need to cut the trace inside both ends of the jump wire!

HOPE THIS HELPS

Edited by burnt01, 07 June 2012 - 04:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users