Photo

Short While Checking Continuity...please Help!?!?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kirchner

kirchner

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 09:09 PM

I have the nme v2.0 with the samsung\toshiba drive. i installed the chip, i played orginals but not my backup's. Stupid stupid me wasn't thinking and i hooked my multimeter up to the +5v and ground point on the dvd drive, and it popped, now i'm getting the E65 code with or without the chip hooked up. I hope this 360 isn't bricked now, can someone please give me some suggestions on how to fix this. I can't see anything burnt on the drive. Thanks a bunch.

#2 mafiafan123

mafiafan123

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 19 July 2008 - 10:03 PM

Becareful power up the drive and check voltage around the area that you think something happend it might just be a small thing to replace or if you have a .bin of your firmware you can always spoof. but i dont think your drives bricked it, although it may be fried just check over the spots really good id look with a magnifying glass.

let us know what you find or see.

Btw after install did you even test it to play the orginals im confused. that would be very helpful.

Edited by mafiafan123, 19 July 2008 - 10:04 PM.

#3 letsmod

letsmod

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 21 July 2008 - 10:02 PM

check the zero resitor where power goes on both sides, that is the most likely component to blow.

you may have to run a new power line fromt he mail rail to the 3.3v+ point, I have seen drives where it popped the trace between the top and bottom of the PCB

#4 kirchner

kirchner

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 04:05 AM

yeah i could play originals after the install....i still dont see anything burnt, i'll check for continuity around the points but i dont know where these zero resistors are....or a new power line from the mail rail to the 3.3v+ point...sorry guys total noob i am haha. but if i could run a new pwer line i'd love to try...where do i start?

#5 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,791 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 22 July 2008 - 04:40 AM

Troubleshooting a shot piece or electronic equipment isn't exactly what I'd consider something a 'noob' should get into. Granted everyone has to start somewhere, but seeing as how ya really need the thing powered up to do certain checks, and you've already demonstrated how that can go, ya really shouldn't be messing with it anymore as it has the only key on it to get another drive working if that one can't be repaired.

What should be done with that thing first in your instance is to hand it off to someone that can get the key from the FW chip, then you or anyone can have at it all day until ya get it fixed or determine it's not worth it from either messing it up more or the original SNAFU. wink.gif

#6 kirchner

kirchner

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 12:45 PM

as i sit with this hooped 360 I don't have anyone to hand it off to so its either learn how to do it myself and possibly wreck it even more or just buy another...so either way at this point it's looking like im going to have to buy another, i really dont have much to lose...im in saskatoon saskatchewan canada by the way.

#7 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,791 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 22 July 2008 - 03:59 PM

The problem with poking around in there more is ya run the possibility of wrecking the SST chip and that has the key on it. If ya tank that thing you can get 100 replacement drives, none of them will read any game discs after being installed in the 360 without that key.

If ya mean buy another 360 you're nowhere near that point yet. There are plenty of guys from all over that have the tools to remove the chip and at least dump the FW to get the key, all that's needed for that is the board too, no need to ship the whole drive. Post or check out the Modchip Installers / FW Flashers section of the forums for one closer to ya if ya need.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users