Photo

Why Does Xbmc Scrape Actors By First Name?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 daMouse

daMouse

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 139 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 06:27 PM

When scrapping from IMDB, it gets the actors name by first and last together. Thus when you use the library mode and want all Bruce Willis movies, you have to look in the B's not the W's. Just seems backwards. Also, how can you limit the number of actors to just a very few per movie to keep the actor list down to a manageable amount. I DO NOT have it set to get Full Cast Credits.

#2 Stefan Leroux

Stefan Leroux

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 01 August 2008 - 02:27 AM

How many actors do you ever look for, that you dont know the first name of? theres nothing backward about using the names forward... its the exact opposite. To organise the actors by surname first would be quite literally backward.

I think the reason for it is because of the way the info is scraped. Its gonna takes a lot more effort to organise by surname, since it would then either display all actors in surname first order rather than telling you the actors name in a film when you look at the info. It is only 1 tag rather than 2, so the order must go 1 way, and forwards was chosen.

As for the full cast credits, I assume that it pulls the actors from the IMDb page info, and if using full cast credits will also scrape the "more" section. I think to get any less you'll need to edit the scraper yourself.

#3 Stefan Leroux

Stefan Leroux

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 01 August 2008 - 03:27 AM

Sorry, too long to edit, but also the First Last method will be to make all scrapers work together. TheTVDB for instance, only gives a few actors in First Last format. Anything else would require XBMC to split things themselves, but then how do you get it to split properly? Might work ok for 2 names, but then what happens in the circumstances of "Courtney Cox Arquette" (guess who watched the scream films recently) or "Melissa Joan Hart" (couldn't think of another Double-barrelled first name). One would screw things up. The First Last seems to work... at least until you get to China

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users