• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dabagboy

Dabagboy

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 05:54 PM

Please forgive me as I posted in multimedia, and receiving no responses am cross-posting.

I finally bought an XBOX 360, and am using a LACIE 500Gb USB Drive to host my media files. It all works very well for the most part.

However to load any new files on the USB drive requires me to pull out my TV, reach back and unplug the USB drive from the wall and the XBOX, take them upstairs and plug it all in near my PC, copy my files, and reverse the process to get it plugged into the XBOX again.

I"d like to do less plug and playing...

A) Can I add my XBOX to my home network and copy them to the attached USB drive?

cool.gif Can I somehow get the USB drive an IP address and add that to the network?

I know about SAN devices but they cost a bit more than I'd like to spend and do they have USB? (and I'd like to keep the drive I have).....maybe I should just get a SAN box/enclosure for the drive? would I still be able to use the USB to the Xbox?

ps: Yes I know I could leave the HD attached to my PC and use windows media player to 'Share' it to the XBOX 360 but I think that "transcodes" on the fly as it serves it to the xbox? and will cost my pc some overhead/CPU (when someone else is on it)?

#2 Millerboy3

Millerboy3

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 18 December 2008 - 05:28 AM

i think you mean NAS devices.... and also its not possible the way you are describing sorry. :\

#3 Takashi

Takashi

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 11 February 2009 - 06:43 PM

Keep it connected to the pc, and run Tversity to share the drive over the network.
Easy Peasy.

As long as it's XviD or standard wmv, no transcoding is necessary.

Edited by Takashi, 11 February 2009 - 06:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users