• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 10 August 2008 - 04:09 AM

Video: New Xbox Experience Game Installation Process
Posted by XanTium | August 9 23:09 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From xbox360fanboy.com:

Looky here kids, it's the Fall dashboard update in the hands of some uber l33t dude who "magically" has the new dashboard installed on his Xbox 360. Even better, he (or she) demos the new hard drive game installation process using GTAIV.

Full Story: xbox360fanboy.com

#2 munkey_boy

munkey_boy

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 05:02 AM

Looks real nice. Improved load times ftw. biggrin.gif

#3 Fyb3roptik

Fyb3roptik

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 10 August 2008 - 05:26 AM

Thanks MS for this awesome software and only giving us 20gb to work with........

#4 Heet

Heet

X-S Knowledgebase

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,965 posts
  • Interests:Pina coladas and getting caught in the rain. Disk space.
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 10 August 2008 - 05:27 AM

Totally unimpressed and underwhelmed. So you take up 10GB to have a small increase in load times?

Whoopdy f*cking do.

Please enlighten me if there is any other big benefit to this because I dont see it and haven't been following anything 360 for about the past 4-5 months.

My 360 literally hasn't been turned on for that long. sad.gif

#5 mafiafan123

mafiafan123

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 10 August 2008 - 05:31 AM

I wonder if thats on a XDK or A mobo with an infectus chip? The ? remains. And i think its ok i honestly am not impressed either whats next ps3 and wii get a makeover? lol

#6 Kazaki

Kazaki

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 05:47 AM

They should be able to pull a serial or something from the disc, DRM the copy on the Hard-Drive, and let you play it without the disc.

The serial on that disc will be registered with your Gamertag, so that installed copy can only be played by that Gamertag and will no longer install on any other 360.

Simply disallow no-disc playing for 360's not connected online to register the disc.

#7 AmyGrrl

AmyGrrl

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 10 August 2008 - 05:58 AM

I would have liked to have seen a video of a Game that has lots of load times.... then replay the game after with it installed to the Hard Drive... then we could see how much it would improve load times ...

#8 Digital_sin

Digital_sin

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 06:05 AM

Really dissapointed too, So instead of pulling off the essential data that will make the game load faster, it basicly copies the WHOLE DISK to the hard drive? that's the most ghetto solution to a problem there is. Also, 120GB? We're gonna need a bigger boat!

#9 0794

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  • Interests:medicine, engineering, Jeeps, technology, automobiles, and just about everything...
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 10 August 2008 - 06:24 AM

it really will be hard to truly understand the utility of the "game installation" feature until we have the update in our hands to play with because i have the same questions as everyone above...

#10 Heet

Heet

X-S Knowledgebase

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,965 posts
  • Interests:Pina coladas and getting caught in the rain. Disk space.

Posted 10 August 2008 - 06:29 AM

Exactly what ive been thinking the whole time kazaki! And it takes forum members to come up with obviously better ideas than this huge company?

Oh wait these are the brains that killed the xbox name and gave us the grand 90 day warrenty...

and LOL Digital_sin! I just watched jaws the other night biggrin.gif

Morons. You make it so hard to like your damn console its pathetic. I should underline YOUR console.

#11 wilson2010

wilson2010

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 06:56 AM

and the bitching begins...

i used to copy a lot of my games to my drive on the old xbox so i dont understand what the fucking problem is. it works, what more do you want.

there must be some way to drm the discs else anybody could just waddle into blockbuster and rent a game and play it forever...

noone forces you people to use that feature. its nice to have but if you dont like it dont use it. it wont cost you a nickel. rolleyes.gif

#12 m82a1

m82a1

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 06:56 AM

what a nice way to increase hard drive sales, installable games,
one - that should have been done since day one, didnt they (MS) learn ANYTHING why people changed xbox 1 hdd's? to install games. (and mass media)

two - install the game AND have the disc in the drive? ok i understand, it's to protect themselves against piracy, but the point is so the game would be safe on the hdd, and u could put away ur discs from being damaged

three - is it me but the new GUI looks a bit..iffy? IMO the current dashboard looks better then the new one, from what i've seen anyway

#13 Dark Seraph

Dark Seraph

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 10 August 2008 - 07:37 AM

im liking the look of the dashboard but that feature really doesnt need to create a Full image of the disk, cant it just copy the files over into a package instead of making a complete image of the disk?

Seems a bit more logical to me.

#14 _GhOsT_

_GhOsT_

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 10 August 2008 - 07:40 AM

QUOTE(Kazaki @ Aug 9 2008, 11:23 PM) View Post

They should be able to pull a serial or something from the disc, DRM the copy on the Hard-Drive, and let you play it without the disc.

The serial on that disc will be registered with your Gamertag, so that installed copy can only be played by that Gamertag and will no longer install on any other 360.

Simply disallow no-disc playing for 360's not connected online to register the disc.

one flaw with this idea

some of us like to sell our games when we get bored with them

#15 82_Z28

82_Z28

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts
  • Interests:messing with xboxes and cars
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 10 August 2008 - 07:41 AM

my too biggest dislikes with the 360 are the cooling issues and the surprisingly short lifespan of the dvd drive...

I was kinda hoping I could copy my two most used games to the hard drive and throw the discs on the shelf but I guess they wouldn't make as much money if my parts lasted longer.... mad.gif

I'm waiting till my warranty is truly gone before I water cool it to help the cooling issues and hopefully by then the modding scene will have something juicy like unsigned code by then...

heres hoping beerchug.gif

EDIT:
as for the serial idea, if they wanted to they could just secure it so only one serial could exist in their system at one time (similar to their hard drive security keys)

Edited by 82_Z28, 10 August 2008 - 07:46 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users