#1 spyvie

spyvie

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 11 August 2008 - 04:48 AM

My LN-R329D took a shit on me friday morning. Passed out on the couch watching a movie and woke in the morning with the tv still on, left it on did some things around the house and later noticed that the sound was still going but just a black screen.

Same thing from cable, antenna, and hdmi inputs. No menus, channel/input indication etc. However, when on the antenna I can see that the screen blacks out (as if the backlight turns off) between channels which is how it normally worked but instead of showing the picture I just get the normal tv on black screen. If that makes sense, basically I think the backlight is working since you can see the leakage on a black screen.

From the limited info I have found it seems that backlights and inverters are common failures but given that my backlight never gave any symptoms of fading or flickering and appears to be turning on I'm afraid it may not be that simple.

The samsung shop is 47mi. away and want $100 just to look at it... not gonna happen.
Probably gonna take it to a local shop tomorrow but I would like to find places with info and parts. I've come up with squat so far especially in the parts department. It would be nice if I could find a service manual.

It's my only tv so this kind of sucks. I don't want to pony up the cash for a 52 yet.

#2 XPxAxBxLxOX

XPxAxBxLxOX

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 12 August 2008 - 06:14 AM

I have a copy of that service manual on my desktop right now. I just need to confirm one thing. On the back of the set, the service model number. Is it LN-R329DX/XAA? Just curious. I just have no way of hosting these files. PM me your email address and I'll upload them (18megs)

Edit:

This service manual is from samsungs service portal.

Edited by XPxAxBxLxOX, 12 August 2008 - 06:16 AM.

#3 spyvie

spyvie

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 08:56 PM

pm sent.

Thanks brother.

#4 XPxAxBxLxOX

XPxAxBxLxOX

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 01:07 AM

I just sent it to you from my gmail account. Let me know if you have any problems.

Edit:

Just bounced back at me. giving an file size error. Give me a few. Im going to try something else.

Edited by XPxAxBxLxOX, 15 August 2008 - 01:24 AM.

#5 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 16 August 2008 - 03:12 PM

Reprogram the Eeprom. If you are sure the backlight is working. It is very common.

#6 spyvie

spyvie

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 02:48 PM

The backlight is definitly coming on.

Chancer, could you hook me up with some info/files or where to find them to try reprograming the eeprom before I replace the board?

#7 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 22 August 2008 - 10:58 PM

Sorry been in Birmingham on a training course.#
Switch the set on.
Press INFO, MENU, MUTE then POWER on Remote Control to access service menu. In the right hand column highlight RESET, then press > to select. The Set should go to standby . Switch back on and all should work.
If the fault persists you have a component fault somewhere.

#8 spyvie

spyvie

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 01:16 AM

Thanks for the reply man, but it seems as usual (for me) that it just isn't gonna be that easy this time.

Mine was a little different to access the service menu:
1. Turn the power off and set to stand-by mode
2. Press the remote buttons in this order : POWER OFF, MUTE, 1, 8, 2, POWER ON to turn the set on.
3. The set turns on and enters service mode.

I got into the service menu and managed to do a "blind" reset by pressing down 12 times (luckily the manual showed a picture of the menu screen) and then enter. It then went back into standby and now it does the gay little tone when turned on or off so I'm guessing that it reset but still has no video, menus, etc.

I ordered a new main board yesterday so hopefully I'll have it fixed next week. I'll have 30 days to return it incase I find something that can easily be fixed on the old board when I open it up.

#9 XPxAxBxLxOX

XPxAxBxLxOX

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 08:39 PM

If the backlight is coming on, the main board should fix the set. Theres not much to these sets.

#10 spyvie

spyvie

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 10:51 PM

Well new board = no dice. F...!

Looks like I get to eat about $60 in shipping and restocking fees.

Apparently there's more than a few sammys out there with defective tconn/lcd controller boards (a part which conviently wasn't mentioned in the service manual). All sources say these boards are on a national backorder yet samsung itself is unaware of any obvious and widespread fault.

So i ordered a used controller board pulled from a LN-R328W from ebay. It sports the same part# so hopefully it will work, at least long enough to sell it. If not I may just have to tape my samsung phone(which is also acting like an asshole today) to my tv and unload the shotgun into it.

I was pretty much forced into purchasing what should be unnessary warantys by owning an undeniably defective piece of equipment in the form of the 360, but there are far more tv manufacturers out there to choose from.

Oh well, I'm gonna quit bitching now and turn on the 20 year old 27" wooden console Zenith (that probably cost a third of the price new then as my sammy did 2 1/2 years ago) to watch some mindless bullshit on cable.

#11 XPxAxBxLxOX

XPxAxBxLxOX

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 03:35 AM

Good luck

#12 spyvie

spyvie

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 01:34 PM

Well, that did the trick... for now at least.

#13 melongstrike

melongstrike

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 03 September 2008 - 03:15 PM

Best wishes with that!

i recently purchased a samsung lcd tv and my asshole puckers anytime I hear of some defect.

They sure don't build them like they use to anymore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users