red_ring_of_box

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 12 August 2008 - 03:04 AM

First off I will give the minimum requirements of AVP2 before saying anything else and post a link to a pic of the actual case of the game to prove it.

SPECS:

------------------------------------------------------------

Compatibly: Windows 95 to XP, sadly no vista.

Processing Power Needed: 300 MHz

Min RAM: 64 mb

Disc Space: 500 mb

Min Graphics: SVGA Video

------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.madgamers...ENVSPRED2-b.jpg

back(use zoom tool to see specs better)

I will now go to the source code part. Though the source code was revoked a few managed to get it. Though even really talking about it is kinda as jumpy as saying where you can the XDK so I will not put it up, but I will say this google can be your best friend. Though i do not know how once source code is released to people then have it revoked but I have seen people who have got the source code making huge modifications to AVP2 and have it hosted on public servers so I guess the source code is not to be given out but the builds are okay?

An example: http://aliensvspreda...plication;87594 (hes even said he has the source code)

Again google is your best chance to find the avp2 source code I wont say what to type into google (unless the mods say its okay) but its on the first page and is very easy to spot.

No onto what I have seen from analyzing the source code myself if that for certain games using the lithtech engine( the engine avp2 runs on) is that the engine is composed of a bunch of C++ header files and source files that are needed are just added into the said game project. So my question would be for this port to be successful would I need to edit these files for the XDK to compile them correctly and get a semi-decent build. Another thing is that the Lithtech engine also uses .REZ files which would contain the DLLs needed to run the game as well as the resources needed to play the game(models, textures) E.G. so idk if the xbox could go into these files and access them correctly to render the game.

I've been noticing that the Header files and Source files actually use stdafx.h and .cpp as the xdk does when you make a project that is not checked of as empty, so Im a bit skeptical if I should make an empty project and then add the said game project in and edit the included lithech files so they are compatible and build well with the xdk.(I really hope you know what the "said game project" is by now)

One last thing about the avp2 game itself is that the model files are in a rare format called .ABC though milkshape does a good a job at converting them if needed.

If a moderator finds this a post not going in a good direction or finds it unruly in anyway then please feel free to let me know I see that the original AVP game is being ported so Id like to try and port the second one is all. Hope this info helps with the fact that I'm serious about this port and that any help would be appreciated or if someone else would like to try and take it up that would be fine, I just thought I'd take a crack at it. Sorry for the post length as well just thought you'd like my analysis of the game as well.

#2 BonusJz

BonusJz

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 12 August 2008 - 04:31 AM

Two AvP ports is always better then one - inform us if you make some progress biggrin.gif

#3 red_ring_of_box

red_ring_of_box

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 04:54 AM

alright Im gonna try and see what else I can learn about this engine Im gonna have to go through pretty much the whole thing and see how it works comp.gif well Im gonna get started... I still can't compile the code as it is so I think I may need to be able to accomplish that first then work on the xbox part as well.

#4 Clockface

Clockface

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 12:52 PM

The problem is, you need a minimum of 64MB of RAM, which the XBox can't provide. Yes, the XBox does have 64MB of RAM, but this is shared with the graphics card, whereas on the PC the system and graphical RAM are two seperate pieces of hardware, so the XBox has (64MB - the current graphics usage) of memory, so unless you can trim the memory requirements in the source code then you won't get it to work on the XBox.

Instead, why not port Aleph One to the XBox, which will allow all three Marathon games to be played on the XBox? For the source code and data files, go to:

http://trilogyrelease.bungie.org/

The Marathon games are supposed to be very good (some people say that they're better than the Halo games, made by the same company, Bungie), and the required specs. won't be a problem at all for the XBox.

#5 red_ring_of_box

red_ring_of_box

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 05:06 PM

hmm well good point, bt I seen people online who have lower than minimum standards for ram for avp2 playing the game at a decent speed, as for trimming it Im sure wouldn't b that hard, or maybe Im getting ahead of myself... Regardless though this does help with the making of it now that I know RAM will be tight, but Iv seen the graphics on Doom 3 for the original xbox so there must be someway to get it to run at a decent speed, also if you know it could you tell around how much RAM the other process make up or would this be a question best searched for?

Also that game you posted looks very interesting I haven't looked up the specs for it, but it could be a promising port for someone with a little more time on their hands than I do right now with this port, thanks though.

Edited by red_ring_of_box, 12 August 2008 - 05:08 PM.

#6 red_ring_of_box

red_ring_of_box

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 06:56 PM

alright I've learned abit that the source code for the game can only be used in Visual C++ 6.0(which I have) I don't know if maybe I could convert the project to VS C++ 7.1 somehow seeing as Im view the source code right now in VS 7.1 and all Im getting for errors is that the compiler couldn't find certain header files and Environment Variables.

#7 red_ring_of_box

red_ring_of_box

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 01:34 AM

well I found the problem with the environment variables. Turns out I had to manually input to directory of the files needed for the compiler to compile the source code... that said it now looks as if I've partly figured out that problem and have only now been dealing with code related errors not resources, though I've gotten plenty of warnings. And only to environment variable errors left so I'm assuming that I didnt add a specified source into the project.

And to anyone who thinks Im just adding these posts in hear to bump it im not, its just for reference for any1 else who wants to try and port this game. wink.gif

#8 GTTeancum

GTTeancum

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 05:21 AM

Tron 2.0 Killer App uses Lithtech Jupiter, which is is sortof a "stepchild" to Lithtech Talon, which AvP2 uses. My first thought is to play with AvP 2 files in the Tron 2.0 KA game. The file formats are basically the same, just newer builds.

The memory isn't an issue. Tron 2.0 requires 256mb on the PC, but the port to Xbox was successful. Heck, we even have DooM 3 on the Xbox. It'll just require some optimizing.

The issue isn't really if it can be ported. So long as it's a DirectX, C++ game it can (typically) be ported. The issue is who's gonna do it.

#9 red_ring_of_box

red_ring_of_box

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 05:56 AM

true I wonder why teh game wasnt ported by the actual developers in the first place and thanks man for that heads up on the tron thing I'll look inot that tom Im too tired right now to check up on it, my parameters right now are to at least get VS 2003 to compile the game dlls succesfully, if not I'll need an XDK compatable with Visual C++ 6.0 which will be very hard to find, but maybe I can use the Tron 2.0 thing instead. biggrin.gif Thanks again, ad if anyone else wants to try and port this besides me go ahead I may still continue to try and port it anyways seeing as thats been my dream for awhile now.

#10 GTTeancum

GTTeancum

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 08:04 PM

You should also take a look at Dragon Unpacker, which supports .rez extraction/insertion AFAIK.

#11 red_ring_of_box

red_ring_of_box

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 07:03 AM

ah i've heard of this but for opening up the rez files for avp2 all I need is WinRez, or did you mean for ingame to actually grap the reasources form the files... well I managed to get a few dll files today laugh.gif which means something may ahve worked I have no idea if weather or not these dll files will even function wit the PC side of the game so Im going to test those tom, and sorry for the late response

#12 red_ring_of_box

red_ring_of_box

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 12:41 AM

I'm real close to a full build here's something to cheer over my latest build:

---------------------- Done ----------------------

Build: 2 succeeded, 3 failed, 0 skipped

laugh.gif

#13 red_ring_of_box

red_ring_of_box

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 01:07 AM

QUOTE(red_ring_of_box @ Aug 15 2008, 08:17 PM) View Post

I'm real close to a full build here's something to cheer over my latest build:

---------------------- Done ----------------------

Build: 2 succeeded, 3 failed, 0 skipped

laugh.gif

LOL nvm I fixed the compile errors by just linking them straight to SDK and other needed files and VS 2003 greeted my accomplishments by giving me 268 errors that I know have to sort through love.gif uhh.gif unsure.gif grr.gif

#14 xboxdemonseed

xboxdemonseed

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 03:49 PM

QUOTE(Clockface @ Aug 12 2008, 01:28 PM) View Post

The problem is, you need a minimum of 64MB of RAM, which the XBox can't provide. Yes, the XBox does have 64MB of RAM, but this is shared with the graphics card, whereas on the PC the system and graphical RAM are two seperate pieces of hardware, so the XBox has (64MB - the current graphics usage) of memory, so unless you can trim the memory requirements in the source code then you won't get it to work on the XBox.

Instead, why not port Aleph One to the XBox, which will allow all three Marathon games to be played on the XBox? For the source code and data files, go to:

http://trilogyrelease.bungie.org/

The Marathon games are supposed to be very good (some people say that they're better than the Halo games, made by the same company, Bungie), and the required specs. won't be a problem at all for the XBox.

true about the 64mb of ram BUT what about the 128mb xboxes :-D it would run then currect?

#15 sirlemonhead

sirlemonhead

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 23 August 2008 - 09:37 PM

He only has the game source code, not the engine source, so he won't be able to port this unfortunately sad.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users