• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 kissmyshu

kissmyshu

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 03:44 AM

I'm going to pull my hair out. This xbox is driving me crazy.

First, I got a red light in the bottom right quadrant. Screen showed an E74 code. Okay, onto google to research what the hell that means. After extensive research, I decided to take apart my xbox and check the ana chip, GPU, and CPU for unsoldering. I did nothing more then take the heat sinks off and clean out the fins, and clean some of the extra compound off the GPU. When I put the heat sinks back on and put the x clamps back on, I proceeded to try powering the xbox again. When I hooked the power cable up to the motherboard and pressed the power button, I got three red lights (the notorious rrod). I noticed that when I turned the xbox "on" nothing actually came on. The only thing that actually came on was the RROD.

I did notice, as well, that when I pressed the power button the LED on the power brick flashed from orange to red for 1/2 a second then back to orange.

I tested for error codes and got the dreaded 0001. I know this is supposed to mean a short on the board...but I didn't even do anything that would cause a short on the board, did I?

I'm so sick of this thing, and I'm ready to throw it out of the nearest 3rd story window. But...being the ever cheap bastard I am...I'm not going to drop another dollar on a new 360. Hopefully you guys can help me out.

Thanks in advance!
Danny

#2 Wilhelm_I

Wilhelm_I

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • Interests:Fixing n modding 360s<br />Playing online with my clan<br />Having fun with my mates<br />Coding stuff...
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 12 August 2008 - 07:54 AM

It must not always be a short it can also be a broken mosfet or so, trying to find and fix these is a pain in the ass though
However there is a chance that you GPU heatsink is shorting something out as you have done the X-Clamp replacement just before...
How many washers have you been using on the top side and how thick were they?

Edited by Wilhelm_I, 12 August 2008 - 07:55 AM.

#3 jimwross

jimwross

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 07:56 AM

Did you use Nylon washers touching the board?

#4 kissmyshu

kissmyshu

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 12:23 PM

I didn't replace the x-clamps. I simply took them off, cleaned off the GPU with nail polish remover and some Qtips (which didn't work...the chip was still hardcore dirty), and decided to just put it back together and leave it alone until I bought some Arctic Silver. After I put the x-clamps back on to hold the heatsinks, I plugged it back in for shits and giggles. When I pressed the power button, the power brick flashed red for half a second and the ROL gave me the RROD. 3 lights, the normal RROD, and when I accessed the error code, it flashed error 0001.

I tried a friends power supply just to make sure it wasn't mine and his did the same exact thing.

Thanks for the quick replies, you guys are awesome.

#5 M2X

M2X

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 08:15 PM

QUOTE(kissmyshu @ Aug 12 2008, 06:50 AM) View Post

I'm going to pull my hair out. This xbox is driving me crazy.

First, I got a red light in the bottom right quadrant. Screen showed an E74 code. Okay, onto google to research what the hell that means. After extensive research, I decided to take apart my xbox and check the ana chip, GPU, and CPU for unsoldering. I did nothing more then take the heat sinks off and clean out the fins, and clean some of the extra compound off the GPU. When I put the heat sinks back on and put the x clamps back on, I proceeded to try powering the xbox again. When I hooked the power cable up to the motherboard and pressed the power button, I got three red lights (the notorious rrod). I noticed that when I turned the xbox "on" nothing actually came on. The only thing that actually came on was the RROD.

I did notice, as well, that when I pressed the power button the LED on the power brick flashed from orange to red for 1/2 a second then back to orange.

I tested for error codes and got the dreaded 0001. I know this is supposed to mean a short on the board...but I didn't even do anything that would cause a short on the board, did I?
I'm so sick of this thing, and I'm ready to throw it out of the nearest 3rd story window. But...being the ever cheap bastard I am...I'm not going to drop another dollar on a new 360. Hopefully you guys can help me out.
Thanks in advance!
Danny

OMG!
exact (repeat after me : EXACT) same problem here!!! sad.gif
E74 and then crappy 0001!
PSU light goes to red and then orange again.
The only difference is that I saw sparks near the two yellow cap above the GPU. Did you too?
Man this box is like killing me!
Hope at least it could return to its E74 state.
This kinda' sucks!

#6 kissmyshu

kissmyshu

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 10:16 PM

I didn't notice any sparks when I plugged it up...thank goodness. I would've FREAKED. haha

Sounds for sure like you've got a short. That spark is a sign that something blew...so you might find yourself replacing some mosfets soon.

I still don't get mine, though. How do I test for shorts?

#7 M2X

M2X

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 07:10 AM

I was thinking about the same thing too!
But I only saw the spark when my heatsink was screwed too tight. When I removed it it booted up to E74 but then after a day when I just wanted to see E74 it 0001ed on me (with the motherboard out of the case and none of the heatsinks attached)
Don't know why!!
Now If I really have to replace a MOSFET I'll give up!
Hard to get my hands one on here...

#8 kissmyshu

kissmyshu

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 07:01 PM

nahhh, you can get a set of sample mosfets from ON semiconductor.

Here's a link I think will help us. I need a multimeter so I can check the voltages...my dad threw ours away because it was broken.

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=533622

obviously those marked mosfets are notorious for blowing in these 0001 cases.

#9 M2X

M2X

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 07:05 AM

Thanks man.
Just some update on my situation.
Last night I was measuring the voltage points from the two regulators beside the Ana chip.
Everything was pretty cool and the voltage readings were correct. I thought lets do it for a second time. And for the second time I noticed that everything's gone pretty dead. Wtf?
I mean no current, etc.

Then I realized that the PSU light is on red!
I disconnected it and now it's like the exact moment I reconnect the psu to the mobo, the psu light goes red...
So there ain't anyway to turn the damn box on.
I think the regulators on this junk are pretty dead.
I think there are some big shorts all around the mobo!!! How can I find the exact location??
Now this box is really driving me nuts...
Any help would be greatly appreciated... unsure.gif

#10 kissmyshu

kissmyshu

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 05:35 PM

I tested the resistance from 12v to ground, 5v to ground, and 12v to 5v.

12v to ground - I got about 14 ohms

5v to ground - it would jump to something ridiculous like 139 ohms then it would just drop back down to 1 and that's all

12v to 5v - once again, it would jump to random numbers but immediately drop back down to 1, where it would stay.

Anyone know if this points to the blown mosfets that g0t m4xx talked about? Do these numbers point to a short on the mobo?

#11 M2X

M2X

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 09:20 AM

QUOTE(kissmyshu @ Aug 14 2008, 08:41 PM) View Post

I tested the resistance from 12v to ground, 5v to ground, and 12v to 5v.

12v to ground - I got about 14 ohms

5v to ground - it would jump to something ridiculous like 139 ohms then it would just drop back down to 1 and that's all

12v to 5v - once again, it would jump to random numbers but immediately drop back down to 1, where it would stay.
Anyone know if this points to the blown mosfets that g0t m4xx talked about? Do these numbers point to a short on the mobo?

for me 12v to ground is shorted. Also 5v to ground is shorted.
Anyway. The readings should change. As the caps are being charged.
I have never tested 5v to 12v and can't say a thing. But looks like (AFAIK) your regulators are a bit fucked up. I think these numbers *might* point to fucked up regulators. How are you voltages btw? Have you measured them?

#12 kissmyshu

kissmyshu

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 12:27 PM

Nope, I didn't. I'm not sure how to.

Care to elaborate? rolleyes.gif

#13 josiah1992

josiah1992

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 15 August 2008 - 01:30 PM

sorry to invade your topic kissmyshu, but could you tell me where i need to put the test wires to measure the ohm of the 12v, 5v and ground lines. thanks in advance.

#14 kissmyshu

kissmyshu

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 02:17 AM

haha, no prob, bro. More you bump up my thread, the more my problem is seen and analyzed. biggrin.gif

Here's a link to different 12v, 5v, and grounds on the mobo.

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=613160

Hope that helps you out. cool.gif

#15 kissmyshu

kissmyshu

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 11:53 PM

anyone?? uhh.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users