• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 exoscoriae

exoscoriae

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 04:38 AM

Hello all. I've been through the site for the past few weeks as I went through the process of softmodding my xbox. I used the splinter cell exploit (the one heavily linked to all over the net) and then managed to get UnleashX running. From that point I got a new skin, installed emulators, got roms running, and even some video previews. At that point I went and got a 750gb drive and used this tutorial to install it using XBOXHDM.

I was concerned however that this tutorial did not mention anything about drive size limitations, and throughout the forums I had read dire tales of the Xbox not supporting large drives, and something about needing to format it at 32kb cluster to have stability and such.

The problem is, every one of those guides assumes your starting from scratch. I haven't seen a method for properly formatting the drive that explains how to do it with a drive that is already got the C/D/E drives all set up and running.

Anyways - the drive worked fine for the most part. I found an option in UnleashX to format the F and G drives. The F drive showed up at 137gb and the G: was just shy of 600gb. Throwing caution to the wind I start ripping all my xbox games to the HD, uploading preview videos, and generally going to town adding stuff.

It wasn't until today that i tried to load Conkers Bad Fur Day: Live and Reloaded (I specify this so that no one thinks I'm talking about the N64 rom). Once it loaded the title screen flashed for a moment, and then the video dropped out. After a minute or so it flashed back to the title, and then the video went out again.

My first fear was that my drive was unstable or something due to my earlier actions. I went and tried 2 other games, but they loaded up fine. So i deleted conker from the drive (I'm using dvd2xbox for all this), and then re-ripped it - but this time to the G drive instead of the F drive. But I got the exact same problem when it loaded. This makes me think the drive is ok, and that there is another problem.

I searched the forums and didn't come up with any threads about conker being a problem game, so instead I come to the newb forum and share my story to see what advice you guys might have.

Thanks for reading my novel.

#2 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,752 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 14 August 2008 - 05:49 AM

not sure whats wrong with conker, but youre probably going to run into problems with your G drive when you hit 256gb, you need to format with xbpartitioner 1.1, its on xbins

just run the xbe format your G drive (if you want you might be able to combine both G and F into 1 large F)

#3 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,568 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 14 August 2008 - 07:39 AM

I'd recommend cranking F up to just under 256gb (16kb clusters), then you'll have G at ~500gb (32kb clusters). Then you can stick your games on F for the best drive efficiency. smile.gif

Technically you can safely leave your F as it is, but then G will be formatted with 64kb clusters and you'll waste far more storage then you need to. Either merge the two partitions or increase the size of F slightly.

Most of those tutorials don't mention cluster issues as they simply were not known at the time. HDD size has skyrocketed over the last few years.

Not sure what's wrong with your Conker game. I played through it from my HDD without issue. Was rather disappointed to find that it wasn't so much a sequel as a remake. I ripped my PAL disc using UnleashX.

#4 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,752 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 14 August 2008 - 09:01 AM

QUOTE(Bomb Bloke @ Aug 13 2008, 11:15 PM) View Post

I'd recommend cranking F up to just under 256gb (16kb clusters), then you'll have G at ~500gb (32kb clusters). Then you can stick your games on F for the best drive efficiency. smile.gif

Technically you can safely leave your F as it is, but then G will be formatted with 64kb clusters and you'll waste far more storage then you need to. Either merge the two partitions or increase the size of F slightly.

this from the guy who made xbpartitioner 1.1, so listen to him

#5 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 14 August 2008 - 02:39 PM

QUOTE(lordvader129 @ Aug 14 2008, 04:37 PM) View Post

this from the guy who made xbpartitioner 1.1, so listen to him

As I recalled, lordvader also contributed by compiling the xbpartitioner 1.1 code initially and the subsequent testing as well so you should listen to him too biggrin.gif

#6 exoscoriae

exoscoriae

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 03:36 PM

lol - well, I plan on listening to all of you.

Initially I had to get all my software from torrent sites and such because xbins has been down (a quick check still tells me it is down). I followed all the xbins rules and never found a bot to PM for instructions to the ftp site. So I suppose right now the main thing I need to do is find a copy of xbpartitioner. If xbins is down would someone mind PMing me an option in locating xbpartitioner?

Please bare with me as I walk through this mentally.

So I'll install xbpartitioner as an app under unleashx, and run it. From there I can choose to only format my G drive - although it is recommended that I go ahead and reformat by F drive as well so as to not waste space on my G: dealing with 64k clusters.

Is xbpartitioner fairly straightforward or will i need to go look up a tutorial to navigate it properly?

And in regards to conker - it apparently is just my copy being a little bitch, and not a known issue.

#7 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 04:07 PM

1. xbox-scene is not xbins.
2. Rules are rules.
3. Mental steps are correct.
4. F and G are not thus named in the tool, it's called partition 6 and 7 in the extended partitions.
5. Back button will bring up Info screen.

#8 exoscoriae

exoscoriae

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 04:27 PM

Yes sir, I am quite aware that this site and that site are not the same. But people here are quite familiar with that site, so it makes sense to ask a question about it. Although if we all want to feint naivety, then thats fine too.

If xbins is down however, and chatting is locked in the channel, then there is nowhere for me to go to ask what to do. I hope you see the problem that lies in giving me all these helpful tips, but then having everyone here act like they have no idea what that mythical xbins is nor do they have any clue what to do if it is down.

#9 exoscoriae

exoscoriae

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 04:37 PM

Looking into xbpartitioner again I now remember reading about it possibly needing a specific bios (runs under any bios but only supports LB48A?). Is this still the case, or is that outdated information?

I'd rather not get into flashing bios's and all that voodoo unless absolutely necessary.

#10 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 03:26 PM

xbpartitioner will tell you if your bios has LBA48 support. Softmods like Krayzie's Ndure, Kingroach's Ndure will have it as they use nkpatcher kernel patcher.

#11 exoscoriae

exoscoriae

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 05:07 PM

I ran xbpartitioner using the default options - now its been several weeks of ripping games to the drive and hardly any of the games will run. Most get to the main menu and then lock-up.

It seems they all started freezing after I had filled up a good amount of space.

That said, is there a clear cut guide to using xboxpartitioner? I assume I did it wrong, and it is getting really frustrating spending so much time ripping games to the drive just to find out weeks later they are all dead.

I'd like to note that I followed the above advice and set my F drive to just under 256 gigs. Even the games on that drive aren't running.

sooooo frustrating.

Edited by exoscoriae, 12 September 2008 - 05:08 PM.

#12 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 03:05 AM

Eliminate other possibilities first: Clear E:\cache and format X,Y,Z first.

Next if that doesn't work, backup E:\TDATA and E:\UDATA to PC first then clear the 2 folders.

Edited by ldotsfan, 13 September 2008 - 03:07 AM.

#13 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,568 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 13 September 2008 - 11:20 AM

Strange these two points haven't been mentioned yet, but some games require a "reasonable" time to be set on the console's clock, and some games require a certain amount of free space on the E partition to function (I shoot to have 100mb clear).

#14 exoscoriae

exoscoriae

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 05:06 AM

My E drive has plenty of space -so that isn't a worry.

As far as a reasonable time being set - would this cause a game to lock-up at a menu, but load fine up until that point? I'll check the clock next time I power it up. I doubt it is in the year 4000 or anything.

I'll try the cache thing as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users