#1 sbpaabck

sbpaabck

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 01:57 PM

Hey all,

Please reply with settings for Surreal64xxx b5 to enable this great game to play!

#2 Clockface

Clockface

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 01:49 PM

QUOTE(sbpaabck @ Aug 15 2008, 02:33 PM) View Post

Hey all,

Please reply with settings for Surreal64xxx b5 to enable this great game to play!

Sorry, I can't help, but I'm posting to say that I never got Perfect Dark or Goldeneye to play properly on the XBox. Perfect Dark used to have some graphical glitches and would momentarily freeze when I fired a weapon, and Goldeneye was uncontrollable. I tried several versions of Surreal, with no success, but I don't know if I used xxx B5. It didn't bother me too much as I still have my N64 connected up (can't be without Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, Conker's Bad Fur Day (the XBox version is terrible by comparison), Body Harvest, Rocket: Robot on Wheels, etc), and I'd say forgot about Surreal and get hold of a real N64 instead.

I know that that's no help, but the truth is that the XBox isn't powerful enough to fully emulate the N64, and anyway the source code that Surreal is compiled from doesn't emulate all of the N64's features and functions, so even if the XBox was fast enough then the emulation is incomplete. The latest version of Project 64 (1.7) would add much better compatibility, but (a) the source is not available, and (cool.gif the code would need real optimisation to get it to run on an Xbox. And even allowing for (a) and (cool.gif, there's still ©, which is the XBox homebrew scene is almost dead, and optimising N64 emulation code would take real expertise and time.

The upshot of all this is that it's extremely unlikley that the XBox will ever have good N64 for emulation for any game that pushes the N64 hardware, like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark did. If the 360 ever becomes capable of running homebrew stuff then I'd imagine that it could run a more or less perfect N64 emulator, the same with the PS3 (but not the Wii), but not the original XBox, unfortunately.

#3 thenewtucker

thenewtucker

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:09 PM

Thanks for the reply, i guess what you are saying is right.

Its a shame because I traded my n64 in for my xbox (perfect dark, goldeneye, duke nukem 65, lylat wars etc..) not realising a few years later i'd be using xbmc and old emulators trying to get back the games I used to have lol!!

Aw well no complaints really mario kart works and thats all that matters wink.gif

#4 xyteam

xyteam

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 10:52 AM

lylat wars works just fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users