• PipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:03 PM

How Could I Check to see If One of the Modded Xboxs I HAve bought
Has it's Ram Upgraded?

And does someone Happen to Know
How I Could Split A Cold CATHODE Light Set that came with two 12" Light Tubes attached to each other
I Only Want to use one of them, And they are attached to each other by wire.
Could i Simply Cut one of them off, or would that Make the Other one not work?
It's for my xbox.

IPB Image

I Had thought they would have come each one by itself with the plug in. Turns out they are connected to each other and only one plug in.
So The Question is How Could I Remove one of them. ?

Edited by MiamiBiker305, 17 August 2008 - 07:16 PM.

#2 SpamBot

SpamBot

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Modding Everything
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 18 August 2008 - 12:53 AM

Sorry I don't know the answer to the first question but neon lights...

The little black box converts the DC voltage into AC and jumps it up quite a bit so don't get fried doing this. biggrin.gif

If you unplug or cut one light the other shuts down? Which says they are rigged in a series circuit and not parallel like house lights. So if you cut a line and reconnect the dead ends together the other light will come back on. However the amperage to the single light will double. Without the twin there to suck off some amps the light will take on that extra making burn hotter. That means a shorter life. But since you have two bulbs you have the replacement option. IF you have the information INPUT/OUTPUT volts and mAmps you could buy a fuse and place that inline to cut the amps down and save the bulb life. For example if the bulb is rated 250 mA you could use a 0.25 AMP fuse. To cut the extra current to that bulb. But without it the bulb might be getting 0.5 Amps and while it might look real cool the bulb will get warmer and shorten the life rating. Blubs like this normally last 20 to 40 thousand hours.

I hope this helps.

#3 MiamiBiker305

MiamiBiker305

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 02:30 AM

Thanks For that man that really helped.
I think I'll Go Ahead And Do That with the lights.
Even Though Today I Got another idea after i had posted this up, and that is that I Can
Still Use both of them One in the Front Like I had Planned And One In The Back To Lighten things up even more.
I'll Think about it.
happy.gif

#4 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,568 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 18 August 2008 - 05:16 AM

XBMC's system page will tell you how much RAM the system has.

If you want physical proof, here's a picture of an old motherboard. See how there are two rectangular spots on the motherboard where it looks like chips should be? Well, if yours are uncovered like this picture, then you don't have the upgrade. There are also two similar spots underneath (all four must be filled).

1.6 consoles cannot be upgraded. You require a flashed TSOP or a modchip to take advantage of a RAM upgrade.

Edited by Bomb Bloke, 18 August 2008 - 05:20 AM.

#5 MiamiBiker305

MiamiBiker305

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 01:39 AM

You require a flashed TSOP or a modchip to take advantage of a RAM upgrade.

Thanks For the Info.
But What You Said Above is that 100% True?
What If The Xbox Is Softmodded.

#6 steveo1978

steveo1978

Local Retard

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 19 August 2008 - 03:41 AM

the think spambot said about the fuse is incorrect u would need a resistor a fuse is meant to protect from over voltage not to step it down the way he said if u put a .25 amp fuse into a .5 amp circuit the fuse would blow

#7 VerbalVenom

VerbalVenom

X-S Expert

• PipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 07:12 AM

If you take apart your xbox and look on the motherboard, you'll see the ram chips attached to the board. Now if you have spots that are reserved for more chips and aren't filled in, you have a factory 64mb board. If those spots are all filled in you have a 128mb board.

IPB Image

If you look at the board, the black chips are your ram. Now to the right of the chip on the right there is an empty spot. That's for additional RAM. there's also empty spots on the underside of the board. If you have chips in those reserved spots, then you have upgraded ram. If not then you don't

#8 MiamiBiker305

MiamiBiker305

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 08:28 PM

Steveo
Doesn't really matter anymore I Put Both The Tube lights on the Xbox.
One in th bottom Front And One in the back After I Cut The Case for it to fit.
Looks Great. I'll Put a Video Of It On Youtube once it's all painted.
Thanks for the info though

And
If you take apart your xbox and look on the motherboard, you'll see the ram chips attached to the board. Now if you have spots that are reserved for more chips and aren't filled in, you have a factory 64mb board. If those spots are all filled in you have a 128mb board.

Awesome Thanks, Now I'll know what to look for. smile.gif

#9 SpamBot

SpamBot

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Modding Everything
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 20 August 2008 - 03:19 AM

QUOTE(steveo1978 @ Aug 18 2008, 11:17 PM) View Post

the think spambot said about the fuse is incorrect u would need a resistor a fuse is meant to protect from over voltage not to step it down the way he said if u put a .25 amp fuse into a .5 amp circuit the fuse would blow

I would be the first to admit I am 16 and have only taken 6 months of high school electronics but here is what the book says:

You can only reduce amperage in a circuit by reducing the number or size of devices plugged in to it. To make it easy, imagine you have a 120 watt light bulb. Given your household voltage is normally 120v this would draw 1 amp, (volts X watts = amps). fifteen of these bulbs would draw 15 amps, the size of a commonly used circuit breaker. The sixteenth light bulb added to the circuit should trip the circuit breaker or fuse to protect the wiring from overheating. If you chose to use 60 watt bulbs instead you should be able to burn 30 of them before th breaker trips. Likewise if you needed 240 watt bulbs, that same circuit could only carry 7 of them.

So I was both correct and incorrect, he should place a fuse or breaker inline to protect from surges. But according to the above it isn't needed. This is what my book "Modern Electronics for Beginners" defines a resistor:

A resistor is a device that resists, or limits, the flow of electric current through itself. The more resistance a thing has, the more it limits current (at the same voltage). In a circuit, resistance and current are inversely proportional. The more the resistance, the more current will be limited and the less current will actually flow. Resistors pay a price for limiting current - they create heat.

A resistor conducts current flow, but it heats up as a consequence to having current "forced" through it by some applied voltage. If the resistor is an appliance, it is probably being used specifically to generate the heat, because the heat is what is desired. When we need to dry our hair or clothes or we want to make toast or coffee. Incandescent lights could be seen as resistors, but we don't normally use them to generate heat. Heating elements, or thermal elements, are heaters - resistive heaters.

In electronics equipments, resistors are included in circuit designs to "develop" voltage and to limit current. Glass fuses are resistors that house the resistor inside an air space to keep trap the heat they produce. They are an integral part of the electronics world, and anyone entering into electronics will be seeing them and solving a number of problems with resistance.

Hope this clears up any confusion for future information.

I bet it looks a lot better with both neon lights anyways!

Edited by SpamBot, 20 August 2008 - 03:26 AM.

#10 jakejm79

jakejm79

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 06:03 AM

A fuse will stop all flow if the current exceeds a certain amount (the rating of the fuse), it will then have to be replaced. A resistor will limit the flow but always allow a specified amount thru no matter how much current is applied (unless you exceed the ratings of the requirement and damage it). You could in theory use a fuse like a resistor but the practical usage is about nil, since you aren't protecting from over amperage but trying to reduce the amount available to the bulb.

#11 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,568 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 07:23 AM

QUOTE(MiamiBiker305 @ Aug 19 2008, 09:15 AM) View Post
Thanks For the Info.
But What You Said Above is that 100% True?
What If The Xbox Is Softmodded.

To my understanding, yes, it is true. I have not heard of anyone managing to use extra RAM with a softmod.

But considering that the difficulty involved in installing more RAM chips is WAY above the level of flashing the TSOP, I don't see this to be much of a problem.

#12 steveo1978

steveo1978

Local Retard

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 20 August 2008 - 08:56 AM

first off Spambot if your book says volts X watts = amps its wrong its watts/volts = amps read this http://www.the12volt...ohm/ohmslaw.asp and plus simple math will tell you 120X120 does not = 1 and a fuse can never be used in the place of a resistor and to test that take out an multimeter and test the resistance or different fuses

oh miami you should try to see if you could hook the up to the Ring of lights like say to the error red one then set the led to flash that would be kinda different

Edited by steveo1978, 20 August 2008 - 09:03 AM.

#13 MiamiBiker305

MiamiBiker305

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 09:27 PM

I bet it looks a lot better with both neon lights anyways!

YEah Thats What I Will Do Man. I'll Share a Video with you guys Of The Xbox Once I'm Done with it.
It Will be Finished By This Friday. Thanks for all the help people but LOL I'm not good with all that stuff so i just decided to use both of them smile.gif I now know not to buy sets of two unless they say they come separate.
I Also Just Bought two 4inch Cold lights For my 500GB Xbox. =D
There will Be a Video Of That Pretty Soon also. Not Giving Details Of The Look Yet, But It's Got a paint job And nice Lights. biggrin.gif

To my understanding, yes, it is true. I have not heard of anyone managing to use extra RAM with a softmod.

Ok Thanks Now i know for sure Softmodded Xboxs can;'t have Bigger Ram.

oh miami you should try to see if you could hook the up to the Ring of lights like say to the error red one then set the led to flash that would be kinda different

My Reply is .....?..... I'm Good for now man wink.gif

One New Question I'm Adding.
And Someone Might have told me this before already but i never got to doing it and it went out my other ear. huh.gif

So

HOW Can I Connect 2 Xbox's To Each Other To Copy Games From One To The Other??
Is That Possible? I'm Pretty sure it is.
Just Tell me What App My Xbox (Or Both xbox's) Need to have to be able to do that?

And Also
What Type of cable do i need to get to make it possible? a normal CAT 5 or what ?

#14 obcd

obcd

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 10:59 PM

The Unleashx dashboard has an ftp client buildin. You can do it with unleashx on both xboxes.

You will need a crossover network cable or a switch and 2 straight network cables.

regards.

#15 MiamiBiker305

MiamiBiker305

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 04:38 AM

ALRIGHT AWESOME THANKS.
cool.gif