linearxtc

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:12 PM

While I have modded many many original xbox's, this was my first time even handling a 360 and I would say it did not go well. After messing around with a new lite-on drive for hours (my friend 100% said it was a Benq), I finally figured out that was a waste of time and proceeded to go to work on a Hitachi GDR-3120L 0x79FL drive.

Hours later my best guess is that the drive is fried from plugging in the power cable upside down (Triple DOH!!!). It does not appear to power on (EJECT IS USELESS), although it shows up in a PC's bios screen and the Panasonic IC is warm to the touch. (Motors and Laser do nothing)

Since I never made a backup I assume that the only way to replace it is to somehow extract the key (from the Hitachi SST chip) and apply this to a new drive.

My questions are
1) Is this the best and only way to rescue this xbox360?
2) What drive can I replace it with? (79FL is not my idea of a good time)
3) Are the steps, Remove SST, put in programmer, extract bin, extract key, get new drive, backup, replace with new bios and old key, put in xbox correctly, say prayer? (And then play!)

Thanks for the help

#2 Ranger72

Ranger72

MOD GOD

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,810 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:37 PM

1. This is the only way to rescue your 360.
2. You can replace it with any drive as long as it is not the new LiteOn.
3. Correct.

Why did you waste time on the LiteOn? You should have looked at the top of the drive and known it was a LiteOn and could not be modded.

I answered your email.

#3 linearxtc

linearxtc

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 17 August 2008 - 08:18 PM

QUOTE(Ranger72 @ Aug 17 2008, 12:13 PM) View Post
Why did you waste time on the LiteOn? You should have looked at the top of the drive and known it was a LiteOn and could not be modded.

For two reasons.
1) Too much trust that my friend who I was helping had done his research. (100% sure BenQ, uh huh)
2) I hadn't done my research, I didn't even realize there was drives that couldn't be modded

Oh how I long for the days of the TSOP flash.

Edited by linearxtc, 17 August 2008 - 08:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users