• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 19 August 2008 - 07:26 PM

Xbox 360 Blu-ray Support Edges Closer?
Posted by XanTium | August 19 14:26 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From spong.com:

Microsoft is set to enable Windows users to burn Blu-ray discs directly from their desktop, potentially signalling a shift in attitude towards the format.

The feature will be part of the Windows Feature Pack for Storage, which is currently in beta testing. An update on Microsoft's Connect website for developers tells us, "This feature enables the Windows platform to do master style optical burning on Blu-Ray media."

The move could signal a more general shift in attitude towards Blu-ray on Microsoft's part. Indeed, it could be the first step towards the oft-rumoured addition of Blu-ray support for the Xbox 360.

Full Story: spong.com

#2 ssj4android

ssj4android

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 19 August 2008 - 08:22 PM

I think the first comment on the article summarized echoes my response quite nicely. In case it gets deleted or something,
Spong, how the hell does Blu-ray burning have anything to do with Microsoft considering blu-ray support for the Xbox 360????

Spong please do a bit more research as this article is 100% lame, Microsoft added HD-DVD and Blu-ray driver support to Vista operating system a very long time around 2yrs ago, meaning that without this article one could assume at any given time Microsoft could decide to release a blu-ray drive which I may add they have constantly shot down but who knows.

Therefore this article which allows blu-ray burning is null and void for the conclusion that it *could* allow for a blu-ray add-on for the 360.

#3 tomgreen99200

tomgreen99200

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 19 August 2008 - 10:07 PM

yep. this article is stupid. i have to agree

Edited by tomgreen99200, 19 August 2008 - 10:08 PM.

#4 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,997 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 19 August 2008 - 10:17 PM

Buy a PS3 or a Cheap Blu-Ray player, instead you will be waiting years for Blu-Ray on the 360. If the DVD player can't be good can you really see Blu-Ray being good? HD-DVD was only good because MS fully supported the VC-1 codec, I think that is in Blu-Ray now but imho Sony has most input so I think it be a crappy player anyway. I think MS is doing the right thing and purely focusing on games. They have netflix anyway and Video Market Place.

And I'm still waiting for TV shows in the UK! I want all of Family Guy HD on my 360 HDD 120GB!

#5 xboxmodder32

xboxmodder32

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 10:28 PM

I don't understand how many times Microsoft has to say "We aren't making a 360 blu ray player" before people realize it.

#6 Devedander

Devedander

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 11:13 PM

QUOTE(xboxmodder32 @ Aug 19 2008, 03:04 PM) View Post

I don't understand how many times Microsoft has to say "We aren't making a 360 blu ray player" before people realize it.

The answer always is and will probably always be "one more"

#7 0794

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  • Interests:medicine, engineering, Jeeps, technology, automobiles, and just about everything...
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 19 August 2008 - 11:23 PM

more pure crap from spong as usual.

enabling burning blu-ray on the windows OS has no relation to the 360 getting a blu-ray drive...period.

they will always do anything for news...

#8 Base8

Base8

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 11:46 PM

Who are these assholes that still think MS is going to release a bluray add on, if anyone sees one smack them for me.

#9 utopaline

utopaline

X-S Young Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 11:56 PM

hhhhmmm, in that case it should already be out... I can burn BLU-Ray discs now, it's called a Blu-Ray burner, that guy is dumb as shit, WOW. Windows also supports Pc gaming, so is the 360 going to allow us to play PC games on it too. Sheesh what a tool.

Useless that guy is....useless

Uto

#10 HotKnife420

HotKnife420

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 03:35 AM

QUOTE(bucko @ Aug 19 2008, 10:53 PM) View Post

Buy a PS3 or a Cheap Blu-Ray player, instead you will be waiting years for Blu-Ray on the 360. If the DVD player can't be good can you really see Blu-Ray being good? HD-DVD was only good because MS fully supported the VC-1 codec, I think that is in Blu-Ray now but imho Sony has most input so I think it be a crappy player anyway. I think MS is doing the right thing and purely focusing on games. They have netflix anyway and Video Market Place.

And I'm still waiting for TV shows in the UK! I want all of Family Guy HD on my 360 HDD 120GB!

Even still, the HD-DVD add-on is not nearly as capable as a standalone player. There's an archived news article here on xs about a site that did multiple tests, and the add-on just paled in comparison.

I doubt Sony has a tremendous amount of hold over the decision, and even if they did, why wouldn't they license it (more money for them)?

Ultimately, if you want Blu-ray, go get Blu-ray. No point in waiting for a sub-par player, other than small budget. If the latter is the case, I'm sure before we see a Blu-ray add-on, we'll see at least a sub $200 standalone.

#11 FierceGaming

FierceGaming

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Interests:webdesign--
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 20 August 2008 - 10:11 AM

haha...uhh never, end of discussion

#12 tutu

tutu

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 01:36 PM

*yawn*

#13 Zod5000

Zod5000

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 05:25 PM

It makes sense that they'd add bd-r support to windows. Its an optical media with quite a bit more storage space than a dvd. People are going to to want to use it for storage/backup applications, and as the price comes down, more and more people will want to do that.

I don't think that means they'll put bluray support in the 360 though. Although I do find it a shame that the xbox live movie licenses only last for 2 days I think it is. MS doesn't really give an option for someone that wants to keep rights to a movie in HD (at least not on xbox live Canada).

#14 djtonic

djtonic

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 07:17 PM

QUOTE(utopaline @ Aug 20 2008, 12:32 AM) View Post

hhhhmmm, in that case it should already be out... I can burn BLU-Ray discs now, it's called a Blu-Ray burner, that guy is dumb as shit, WOW. Windows also supports Pc gaming, so is the 360 going to allow us to play PC games on it too. Sheesh what a tool.
Useless that guy is....useless

Uto

Yes this article is dumb as shit, but honestly so is your reply.

READ: "burn blu-ray discs directly through windows" Which Vista currently does not offer. You have to install a 3rd party software to write BD discs, dumb ass!

SO...The dumb part of this news is (besides you not reading and understanding it) that they assume Microsoft has an "attitude" about Bluray which has hindered them from offering support for the format. MS' stance has always been they will support whichever format wins. Besides, they have to pay royalties to provide this as a windows feature...I assume.
MS still is saying they arent producing 360 BD Drives and I believe them and over time have come to hope it stays that way.

~Dj~

#15 Mr_Milenko

Mr_Milenko

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 131 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 23 August 2008 - 04:05 PM

QUOTE(djtonic @ Aug 20 2008, 02:53 PM) View Post

Yes this article is dumb as shit, but honestly so is your reply.

READ: "burn blu-ray discs directly through windows" Which Vista currently does not offer. You have to install a 3rd party software to write BD discs, dumb ass!

SO...The dumb part of this news is (besides you not reading and understanding it) that they assume Microsoft has an "attitude" about Bluray which has hindered them from offering support for the format. MS' stance has always been they will support whichever format wins. Besides, they have to pay royalties to provide this as a windows feature...I assume.
MS still is saying they arent producing 360 BD Drives and I believe them and over time have come to hope it stays that way.

~Dj~

Right.. and you are also a fool for pointing out the other dudes "stupidity" All he says is he was capable of burning to BD discs, Spong, the idiots they are, are reporting this as news, Xbox 360 news at that. so uh.. before badmouthing someone you too should learn how to read a post, douche.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users