Photo

For Those Of You Who Get Rrod - Error 0031.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Vendeta

Vendeta

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 30 August 2008 - 07:52 PM

Howzit all,

I found a post from another forum of why you might be getting RROD with secondary 0031 code.

http://360mods.net/F...pic/t=9509.html

Wilhelm_I: Might want to add this to your website?

Well, my xbox 360 today experienced 0031 error code when I use X-clamp fix on my xbox. What I did was take 4 metal washers out (I thought it would help the heat sink has more contact with the GPU chip) then I tightened the bolts. Then I turned on the Xbox 360 and it got 0031 error. I took a very carefully look and I figured out that the heat sink touched very small resistors near by the GPU on the motherboard. Then I did loose the bolts on the GPU heat sink a little bit to make sure the heat sink doesn't make contact with the resistors , then the Xbox ran just perfectly. Then I tried to tighten the bolts again to make the contact with resistors, the 0031 came up again.

So I'm 99% sure that the 0031 comes when the heat sink make contact with resistors on the motherboard (or maybe the bolts are overtightened). Sorry, but i don't have any picture for you guys.

My console is Xbox Elite.

If anyone has the same problem, try to solve the problem like I did.

#2 Wilhelm_I

Wilhelm_I

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • Interests:Fixing n modding 360s<br />Playing online with my clan<br />Having fun with my mates<br />Coding stuff...
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 31 August 2008 - 01:32 AM

QUOTE(Vendeta @ Aug 30 2008, 09:28 PM) View Post

Howzit all,

I found a post from another forum of why you might be getting RROD with secondary 0031 code.

http://360mods.net/F...pic/t=9509.html

Wilhelm_I: Might want to add this to your website?

Ah ye thanks mate just edited it but 0031 can also be caused by a cracked RAM brick...
So it may be rather a RAM power problem or so..
Added you as a reference

#3 Vendeta

Vendeta

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 31 August 2008 - 09:19 AM

smile.gif

No problem.

Just for reference, if it was the ram brick that was faulty, where would one get it replaced?

#4 Wilhelm_I

Wilhelm_I

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • Interests:Fixing n modding 360s<br />Playing online with my clan<br />Having fun with my mates<br />Coding stuff...
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 31 August 2008 - 09:24 AM

QUOTE(Vendeta @ Aug 31 2008, 10:55 AM) View Post

smile.gif

No problem.

Just for reference, if it was the ram brick that was faulty, where would one get it replaced?

Reballing will be necessary to do it properly.
Some guy called ultraraison swapped his damaged one with another from a spare mainboard.
He only used a heatgun and a screwdriver, worked at first but then he got 0110...

#5 FalconX07

FalconX07

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 23 March 2009 - 12:57 AM

So what I do is put nylon washers on the heatsink as well?

#6 R0st3r

R0st3r

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 117 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:19 AM

I got error 0031 on my HDMI elite after performing the xclamp. I loosened the bolts on the CPU heatsink because the forums here said it was an "unknown" problem and could be related to the CPU having a bad connection with the capasatators. So after that didn't work I did a google search and found this post... I then loosened the GPU heatsink as well and POOF! 1 completely working console. Thanks!!!!

#7 Habiday

Habiday

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 06:26 PM

Confirmed for me
Error 0031 = xclamp fix screws were too tight.
After loosening them BAM it worked straight away. LOOL i spent 5 hours reading forums and stuff....
Thank you guys.
Now its 3:20 am its bedtime before my gf gets up for work and sees her hair dryer and alu foil everywhere .... lol omg

#8 noxorrep

noxorrep

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 07:47 PM

wow as luck would have it I think mine was also the heatsink contacting the mobo. awesome thanks for the posts!

#9 b0dyr0ck2006

b0dyr0ck2006

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 04:01 PM

I get a 0031 even without any heatsinks on...... help.......!!!

#10 melled

melled

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 03 February 2010 - 01:10 PM

Got this error also while trying to jtag my jasper box. Tried all the different solutions, still no success.
Any other ideas out there that might help us with this error? unsure.gif

#11 honda4eternity

honda4eternity

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:07 AM

I had the same problem on a xenon. I reflashed the factory nand.bin file and got it back to factory and working. Now to figure out why xell.bin caused this problem? I have successfully flashed xell and xbr to a falcon but this xenon is giving me problems. I did have a bad block @ 0xDA. Am I supposed to do anything to fix this before flashing? Any sugestions?

I figured out my problem. I used the falcon xell file on the xenon board.

Edited by honda4eternity, 04 February 2010 - 09:29 AM.

#12 The 360 Modder

The 360 Modder

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 11:37 PM

I have the Same Problem, I will Get On it right Now and check to see if Either or is the Problem. Ill Post Pics If I can Find the Resistors your talking about.

#13 koLorkRown

koLorkRown

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 05:21 AM

i suppose this is why 90% of the tuts inform that their MUST be a steel washer AND nylon washer on the top of the mobo between the chips and heat syncs.. rolleyes.gif

#14 hardrock351w

hardrock351w

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:09 PM

I hate to bump a really old thread but,....

I thought I should share my findings on error 0031,.....for me it was a bad nand flash that gave me this error.
I was returning one of my jtag's to stock, and I flashed what I thought was a backup of the original nand.(I had a few backups of it)
After pulling my hair out I decided to compare the backup I used with some of the other backups and realized I had a couple of them that must have been from another jtag,....and with my luck thats the bin I used.
So I simply soldered my LPT cable back on, and flashed the original bin to it.(Man I need a usb spi flasher!)
No more 0031 and all is normal now.

I hope this helps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users