X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 30 August 2008 - 10:02 PM

Ok,

I built my own computer a few years ago and I found out today that the motherboard fried on it. I need a new motherboard but im stuck on how i should go about that. I had a old socket 939 board and im finding that its hard to find one of those nowadays. My question is, should I continue with another socket 939 motherboard? and if so, if i could get recommendations on brand, etc. The board did what I wanted it to with relative ease but is it outdated? I was also thinking of buying a completely new mobo and cpu and id like thoughts on that option as well. And as far as purchasing a new motherboard, $200 is the max I can spend on it.

Questions are welcome because im sure i rambled a bit. And any help is greatly appreciated

Edited by thegame_evolution, 30 August 2008 - 10:21 PM.

#2 sicknasty413

sicknasty413

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts
  • Interests:Modding... video games... eating... sleeping... computers... and those things we call women.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 30 August 2008 - 11:18 PM

I'd recommend new mobo + cpu.. but $200 is pushing it.

You in the U.S.? If so, have you checked out newegg??

#3 thegame_evolution

thegame_evolution

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 11:52 PM

my problem is i dont know quality brands/specs.....i do live in the US and i have looked at newegg and ive seen a bunch of mobo/cpu combos for under $200 but again i dont know brand quality on them so.....

#4 ILLusions0fGrander

ILLusions0fGrander

third echelon agent

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,500 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 31 August 2008 - 02:49 AM

asus is a good mobo brand you can usually get for cheap.

you look into getting a mobo with your old CPU's socket to save money?

http://www.geeks.com..._sc.asp?cat=473

~$25 to 60 bucks, should be an easy swap!

#5 sicknasty413

sicknasty413

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts
  • Interests:Modding... video games... eating... sleeping... computers... and those things we call women.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 31 August 2008 - 05:44 AM

I love Asus motherboards. They're amazing. Their other products are good as well!

I'd recommend going Intel Core 2 Duo with appropriate Asus motherboard.. but that'd probably put you over your $200. Definitely look into it though. C2Ds are hot!

#6 yayupp

yayupp

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:Computers
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 31 August 2008 - 09:49 PM

I've used Abit for, for ever. They are good board as well. Just throwing another quality product out there.

#7 throwingks

throwingks

X-S Freak

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 06 September 2008 - 03:51 PM

I have always used Abit as well.

#8 yaazz

yaazz

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 07 September 2008 - 07:59 PM

Hey so I just purchased my friends old PC, and halfway through a bios update, something crashed and left the motherboard in an unbootable state.
After purchasing the computer, I noticed that the motherboard, a DFI Blood Iron, was a few revisions back from the latest BIOS. The computer does not have a floppy drive, so as per instructions on the DFI website, I attempted to update using a program called WinFlash. Everything seemed to be going great, the bios successfully erased, and WinFlash appeared to be writing the new revision successfully. Suddenly, something crashed in WinFlash, and BAM the computer died. Upon reboot, the computer wont even reach the POST screen.
As far as I can tell, there is no jumpers to revert to the factory BIOS, nor is there a socketable bios chip to easily repair this board. DFI doesn't want to help me with this problem, so now it looks like im just going to have to purchase a new board.

Anyone have any suggestions? My only preference is that it is CHEAP, but SLI would be a nice bonus....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users