#1 kadheerjahn

kadheerjahn

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 02:21 PM

Hi everyone,

I wonder is there a way to make my 720*408 resolutioned x264 mkv formatted movies compatible to play flawlessly on my Xbox?

I think maybe there is a way to reduce the resolution or etc. and make these movies playable on xbmc without any lags.

I want to make higher quality videos than divx/avi, and a bit lower resolutioned videos than HD so that my xbox can handle.

I hope you understand what i mean smile.gif

I'll appreciate any help from you guys.

#2 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,568 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 31 August 2008 - 03:35 PM

Understand that MKV/AVI is not a video format. It's a container format into which video and audio streams can be placed.

For example, you can have an AVI and an MKV file, each using the exact same DivX video stream. The X-Box will find one as easy to play as the other.

So why are MKV files typically jerky? Because MKV supports more sophisticated video codecs, such as x264, while AVI does not. x264 is not what you call X-Box friendly.

Lesson number two: 720x408 is not HD. You know how the higher display modes are referred to as 720p and 1080i? Well, the numbers refer to the amount of ROWS in the video image (as opposed to the number of columns). Your video has 408 rows; it's tiny (standard NTSC low-def is 480 rows, PAL is 576). 720p is usually 1280x720.

You might be able to get satisfactory results by trying a different video player. XBMC has two built in. If you select your video and hit the white button, you can use the "Play Using" option to choose between them.

MPlayer is the default for most videos, as it supports more codecs and provides better picture quality, subtitle and streaming support.

DVDPlayer, on the other hand, seems to provide better frame rates then MPlayer is capable of.

Worth taking a read through this thread too.

#3 kadheerjahn

kadheerjahn

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 06:44 PM

Thank you very much for your answer Bomb Bloke. I'm such a noob biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users