X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,214 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 30 October 2009 - 10:41 AM

675 x 675, preserving aspect ratio.

That means it would keep the ratio of width to height. If it maxes out at 675 for height or width, it compensates and keeps it the same ratio.

I use Digitope image converter.

#1502 cbagy

cbagy

X-S Genius

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  • Interests:Nothing legal probably !
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 30 October 2009 - 10:44 AM

Cut off anything you want MM. In reallity all videos should have ratio's x 32 pixels.
ie 640x480 / 32 = 20x15 (4:3 ratio), (16 is a ratio of 32, it is half, 8 is a quarter and so on). If you cut the borders 16 pixels from the top and 16 from the bottom then your video clip becomes 640x448 (320x224 x 2). Any resizing should always be denominations of for every 4 off width then take 3 off height. Things can and are a little more complex than that but its a basic rule of thunb without getting too deep. If you crop the borders remember to tell the editing prgram not to stretch remaining video to 640x480 but remain at 640x448. As most editing software will require you to re-encode the video to allow a crop this is when you can resize to 320x224. Dont lower the bitrate too much as if you think about it these videos have been through 3 processes already ! Avi capture codec - wmx codec - xmv. There is an outside chance if you keep the bitrate the same they will come out of the process actually larger than the imput file ! Trial and error mate, trial and error.

PS. Some do seem to end differently. They are all a basic minimum though. Some have extended endings. Its a mind trick mate. You were concentrating on the video so much your mind told your eyes to expect more. In reallity none end more abrupt than others at all, optical illusion. Look for one you wouldnt play, the video seems ages and the end just seems to drag on. Honest ! As we all like different games this illusion is different for everbody.

Edited by cbagy, 30 October 2009 - 10:48 AM.

#1503 cbagy

cbagy

X-S Genius

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 10:56 AM

672x672 is a ratio gentleman (640+32)

#1504 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 11:39 AM

There's no pixel ratios on boxart man. cool.gif

Just saying that I've been able to have pics on all the emulators that were maxed at either 675 pixels per height or width. Using the "Preserve Aspect Ratio" in a program, it will make sure that the width matches the height at the same ratio as the original image if it needs to be downsized.

#1505 Mega Man (?)

Mega Man (?)

X-S Genius

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 30 October 2009 - 11:39 AM

672x672 is a ratio gentleman (640+32)

OK that is where you said some boxarts may be off...?
How can I go about doing this... ? If i make the images 672 on one axis... the editing program compensates by giving a relative number on another (ex. 672 x 488)
I don't get it... huh.gif
672 x 672 would give me a square... if I keep proportions... then I would have equal sides...

What are you guys on about...?
Thanks smile.gif

I am making my SNES videos 512 x 448. Any objections...?

#1506 cbagy

cbagy

X-S Genius

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 11:53 AM

Ok ! How can your artwork be universal if HD users will be out of ratio ? to display the art @ 675x675 in HD would require a size of 337.5 x 450. There is no 337.5. It will be rounded to the nearest pixel. You think your program is preserving aspect ratio its not, its rounding up or down to the nearest pixel. All do it that ive used. The emulator then doubles the width and times 1.5 for height. No odd number at all can be used for width and only a few odd numbers can be used for height. Being 1 or 2 pixels out in HD leads to 2 or 3 pixels by the time the emulator corrects its for display. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

@ MM It should compensate and that is correct. You can force an uneven ratio but WTF ! Notice the even numbers it chooses to use ! Say no more. I had to rework all of the original NES BoxFronts and so decided to make my own sega ones. My previous post is a typo it shouldnt have had 672x672 as we all know thats a square lol.

Edited by cbagy, 30 October 2009 - 11:58 AM.

#1507 Mega Man (?)

Mega Man (?)

X-S Genius

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 12:13 PM

So you are saying I am right... smile.gif (something like 672 x 488 ?)

So wait... hold on...
What do we have messed up here... ? If we have something messed up... please help us fix it.
I think Rx has gotten a little confused... None of the box arts i have checked in the set are 675 x 675. huh.gif

Cbagy,
you seem to have more knowledge on the matter than us, and I appreciate that knowledge...

That is why my name is Mega Man (Question) laugh.gif ... cause I am not afraid to ask them...

(4am in California sleeping.gif don't make me read a whole page when I get back... tongue.gif )

Edited by Mega Man (?), 30 October 2009 - 12:18 PM.

#1508 cbagy

cbagy

X-S Genius

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 12:29 PM

hey i have to stay up till those sorts of times to communicate with you guys ie- last night lol. And i have buisness to run (i do give myself lots of time off though, lol). Your sizes seemed reasonable to me. Its a little fiddling with the numbers as lots of cover sites have different scans of custom work, varying in sizes lol. If you can find boxart showing all the cover, with spine then you can give youself a good chance of hitting the numbers. A even numbered width and an even numbered height, then crop preserving aspect based on either height or width, your choice. Then the cropped image ie 672 x 488 is your standard template size for cropping all other artwork and resizing. Sounds so easy doesnt it lol. Wait till you hit those custom artwork where the aspect was slightly off to start, crop those and resize to your standard accepted size ie 672x488. You will notice then that the correction stops all the characters on the artwork looking as fat as they are tall. I must go now as im late. Will catch you chaps later on. Good luck and dont let it stress you.

Edited by cbagy, 30 October 2009 - 12:29 PM.

#1509 madmab

madmab

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 30 October 2009 - 03:56 PM

Hi guys.. I'm still around, just got a bad case of the flu. Whether it is the H1-N1, is beyond me. All I know is I've been sleeping alot and feeling like shite most of the week. laugh.gif

Although the fever seems to have broke so now, I suppose, it's a matter of getting food and liquids back into my system.

As for strain on NeoGenesis. I'm not really sure what is being referred too.

Yes NeoGenesis is one of the more memory hungry emu's.

The emu only loads and displays images for one game at a time. So the total combined size of all elements for that particular game can lead to issues (for examples some O2 HQ boxart that was floating around). But believe it or not I think that is more a size issue. Seems xbox does not like loading textures larger than a certain size, regardless of memory issues. BUT, memory can still have an impact.

The file list is limited (I believe) to 4096 games. But the memory reserved for that is already taken up on load. So no issue here.

If the user is loading screenshots/box-art AND movies across a network, this can impact performance a little. Since the xbox copies this stuff over the network as it uses it.

I think I covered everything..

#1510 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 04:52 PM

I don't know what you're on about cbagy. I've got probably 6,000 boxarts on my rig and they all look fine to me.

Now methinks you guys are being way too picky.

Anyways. I'm not going to be resizing all of them. That would be a massive amount of work with no pay off in my eyes.

Sorry.

EDIT: Hope you're feeling better madmab. cool.gif

Edited by ressurectionx, 30 October 2009 - 04:54 PM.

#1511 FrankMorris

FrankMorris

X-S Senior Member

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 30 October 2009 - 05:04 PM

Get well soon madmab, you need to add that smart Japan boxart/cartart code. wink.gif

Use Boxart size/location 1 when (width>height, width=height, width<height)
Use Boxart size/location 2 when (width>height, width=height, width<height)
Use Cartart Size/location 1 when (width>height, width=height, width<height)
Use Cartart Size/location 1 when (width>height, width=height, width<height)

[GENESIS VIDEO DISCUSSION]

Genesis video output is 320x224.
Mega Drive video output is 320x240.

But that isn't important, because every game's actual game screen is 320x224 OR 256x224 regardless of region.

Personally I don't see any point to add those 16 or 32 px borders to them (ex. 320x240 or 640x480)
In Mega Drive games, those extra lines were added only to reduce overscan in 50 Hz PAL signal.

Personally again, I think that only exception, when borders are acceptable are those 256x224 games.

Lethal Enforcers II is one of the 256x224 games:
IPB Image

It should look like this:
IPB Image

Not like this: (Circles aren't circles.)
IPB Image

But that's totally how you prefer to see it. Both methods are "right."

#1512 Mega Man (?)

Mega Man (?)

X-S Genius

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 08:15 PM

Get well madmab ohmy.gif

Looks like with the HQ nes boxarts, RX, was sizing them - 460 x 629 - 460 x 631... (check them out, if you will)

Thoughts...? I know I can get them there...
EDIT: Cbagy, what is your "proper" size that you made them...?

Edited by Mega Man (?), 30 October 2009 - 08:17 PM.

#1513 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 08:30 PM

See.... the problem is, we've already resized them now and "broke" the perfect aspect ratio that cbagy is talking about. To make all of the artwork perfect in terms of aspect ratio now would be next to impossible. Sure... if every image we had was HQ we could just downsize it slightly to the exact measurements, but there are a lot of low quality images in the set for things like Japanese games and other harder to find stuff.

I don't know....

Like anything else, I'd probably add the stuff to my set if somebody went to the trouble of doing this, but I really don't see the point. Your eyes must be a hell of a lot better than mine. I know I'm not the most observant or picky when it comes to these things, but I dont' see anything wrong with them as-is.

#1514 cbagy

cbagy

X-S Genius

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 09:00 PM

Good evening gents. Rx your right, trying to correct some of the ones that may have been cropped originally wrong, or cropped correctly but the original image was deformed, is now a waste of time. In reality you need a good clean full pic to start with. Cropping the correct sizes from the start is essential in making sure that all artwork when resized to a standard size will all end up the same and still in the correct ratio to the original. It sounds crazy but once youve done a few its a piece of cake. To also make the whole package smaller and to help the emulator out dont make your final drafts too big. I'll explain. The screen max for a SDTV with overscan and a nice presentation border for the boxart artwork is ? I dunno a 320x480+ at a guess or there abouts, now that image will still look brilliant in HD and SD. Mine for example cut from the original sega boxes which are very large, anything from 700 + pixels high to 2000 pixels high. I cut them and resized them all to a correct aspect of 233 x 320. I always use the height as my yard stick and let the computer resize the width in ratio for me. So if i was to have resized to 640 tall then the width for those sega boxes would have been 466.
I thought that 640x466 tall was too big file size wise so i reduced them to half which in turn saves lots of space and more importantly memory on the xbox. As long as your original crop has even numbers for division and resizing your already half way there. It will come to you MM. Like i said once you experience a few odd sizes and learn to deal with them all with the same formula its straight forward from then on.

#1515 cbagy

cbagy

X-S Genius

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 09:17 PM

Rx's cuts aren't that far out,

460 x 629 if the width is ajusted to 466 then the height is 635. Which from my findings is slightly too short i would be expecting 640. At that ratio the characters would be slightly too fat or not quite tall enough depending on which way you look at it.

460 x 631 Now this one is much closer. 460 + 6 = 466, 631 +6 =637. Only 3 pixels off 640.

Only a fraction but i noticed mate. Then stretch those into HD and the difference can be seen.
Not saying that what i experienced from cutting the artwork is absoloutely correct. But what i will say is that i could consistantly hit the exact pixels for width and height every time. Regardless of the input sizes which vary wildly. As they say "measure twice, cut once." Then everything across the board is standardised period !

Have just thought, dont copy my sizes exactly. Different console manufacturers had different games cases. Therefore different artwork. Dont know the exact size of them all, thats something for you to discover. I have only looked at full size sega stuff.

Edited by cbagy, 30 October 2009 - 09:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users