X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,214 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 13 December 2009 - 05:11 AM

QUOTE(iancer @ Nov 16 2009, 10:11 AM) View Post

its seems to me that Super Robot Wars OG 1 & 2 are missing from the GBA dats/artwork...
as well as boktai 2,
could anyone explain why?

They're both added now. I think you'd be REALLY hard pressed to find anything missing now. cool.gif

I do believe I am done adding new games to the 3 systems.

Looks like all Gameboy videos are now done.
With just a few entries left that MM? is doing, we're nearly complete with Gameboy Color videos.

And.... we have 181 more Gameboy Advance videos to do.

Almost there!!!!!!!

#1757 Mega Man (?)

Mega Man (?)

X-S Genius

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 13 December 2009 - 05:42 AM

Got it Rx, wink.gif
I'll be finishing the GBC videos, within the next few days...
stupot1 finished the GB one...? Nice...!

Who ever is doing GBA videos, please come forward smile.gif we don't want people doubling work.
Blitz, people.... Blitz... biggrin.gif

Edited by Mega Man (?), 13 December 2009 - 05:42 AM.

#1758 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 09:11 AM

It is my pleasure to introduce you all to the XBoyAdvance Synopsis.... cool.gif

[HOT POTATO = Ressurectionx]

EDIT: Does anybody know where to find an HQ Game Boy pack? The GBC and GBA images are all top notch, but we could use an upgrade on the regular GB.

Thanks,
~Rx

Edited by ressurectionx, 13 December 2009 - 09:15 AM.

#1759 madmab

madmab

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 13 December 2009 - 03:37 PM

QUOTE(ressurectionx @ Dec 12 2009, 08:39 PM) View Post

Come to think of it.... regarding the time it takes to load the synopsis....

I think it's when the roms are 32MB. Maybe the emu has to unzip the rom before pulling up the synopsis info. I just think that's funny if it's true though because it won't pull up the synopsis at all if the roms are unzipped.
EDIT:

Yep...

The only slowdown on the synopsis is the 32MB videos. It seems the larger the game is, the longer it takes to show the synopsis. Mystery solved...

At least Madmab fixed the emu so it will read zipfiles of this size now. Before, you had to have all of the 32MB games unzipped to play, but they play perfectly zipped now. (You also couldn't look at the game's synopsis when it was unzipped).
I'd have to double check but chances are the reason it's not pulling up the synopsis on large unzipped ROM's is because there is not enough free memory to read the ROM in to calculate the CRC32. The reason ZIP files work is because all it is really doing is pulling the CRC32 from the zip file since it is stored in there already.

I'm really not sure if there is any way to calculate the CRC while reading the file in pieces.

#1760 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 06:22 PM

No biggie. Were talking about 15 games out of about 2,375 if you don't include the Video roms.

#1761 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 11:59 AM

Didn't do too much today with the Xtras, but I did add the TCP HD Genesis artwork.

Looks great man MM?. cool.gif

Thanks for all your work putting that together. There were a few that I didn't add because they were the megadrive version when we have a US version already, but I could put them as alternative boxes.

Later,
~Rx

#1762 madmab

madmab

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 12:33 AM

Well I got the startup movie feature enabled today and finally got all the features I wanted in the MediaBrowser working... Here is a summary of the controls..

CODE
Controls for text browser

A -> Start Search
B -> Exit
X -> Continue Last Search
Y -> Simulate width font

White -> Previous file
Black -> Next file

Start -> Help screen

Dpad -> Up/down, Left-> Up Page, Right-> Down Page
Left Analog button -> Set font size
Left Analog Up -> Top of file
Left Analog Down -> End of file
Right Analog button -> Set text screen size
Right Analog left/right -> decrease/increase fixed-width font size

Left/Right triggers - Move up/down text file.

Controls for screenshot browser

B -> Exit
Y -> Delete file (Utilities-> browse screenshots only)

White -> Previous file
Black -> Next file

Left Analog button -> Music Control Menu
Left Analog up/down -> Move screen up/down.
Right Analog left/right -> decrease/increase screen size.

Anywho.. The way I have it set now. If you are viewing a scan of a manual (not a text file) if the size of the image is larger than your text file screensize settings it will just expand out the image to full size (within your text file window).

If the image is smaller than your text file screensize settings it will work as follows.

If the image is taller than it is wide it will continue expanding the image ( based on aspect ratio) until the width fits within the width of your text file screensize width. (Most normal manuals)

If the image is wider than it is tall it will continue expanding the image ( based on aspect ratio) until the height fits within the height of your text file screensize height. (For example NES manuals).

This seems to effectively stretch the image in the best manner possible for scanned manual reading.

A couple of features I was thinking of adding..

A reset button (per say) that will reset your screen as if you loaded the image for the first time (bookmark settings will be reset).

A "middway" button. This button will locate your screen "window" so that it lies halfway on either the X axis ( width>height aka NES manuals) or halfway on the Y axis ( height>width most normal manuals). I figured this would make navigating scanned manuals a little easier....

Any comments?

Edited by madmab, 15 December 2009 - 12:37 AM.

#1763 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 02:48 AM

I can't think of anything now madmab, except that we've been waiting for this for a long time and I'm glad to see that it should be in there soon. It's kinda hard for me to wrap my mind around things unless I have them operating in front of me.

Hey MM? Thanks again for those Genesis boxarts. cool.gif

Here's my answer to your comments about those in question and some other things....

1) Ballz 3D is indeed only named "Ballz" in my set. Don't know how that happened. It's good in the synopsis though. I'm sure there are other small things like that here and there. Keeping my fingers crossed for a way to display the synopsis name in the emulator. It's a lot easier changing that then the rom, artwork, movie and saves.

2) That was the right boxart for Landstalker: The Treasures of King No. It doesn't happen too often, but sometimes the title of the game while playing is slightly different than the boxart. This may be what happened here.

3) If that Pele isn't the true boxart, than I didn't have the real one before because I had a lower quality version of the one you provided.

4) TMNT Tournament Fighters (EU) boxart is named "0005". I also did this to about 6 other boxarts that you provided that were the european version. (That really is a great looking box. You were right about that).

5) 6 Pak is not included in the Xtras. I made a decision long ago not to include multi-carts if they're just the same games already in the sets. That means that "Triple score 3in1" is not in the Xtras either. I also did the same for Nintendo, as you can see. I have all of the separate versions of "Super Mario Bros.", "Duck Hunt" and "World Class Track Meet" and I do not include any of the multi-carts that had those games.

Well... I think that's about it. We're all done with the Genesis artwork now. I'll also get those NES and SNES images integrated into their sets as well.

Now... who'd like to help with collecting the 125 or so Gameboy covers from thecoverproject? cool.gif

http://www.thecoverp...w.php?cat_id=12

That is really the only major system I can't find good boxart for. Almost all games are accounted for, but some of those boxarts are around 30k PNG files. Gameboy boxart, overall, doesn't look bad in the emulator, but you can still tell a difference between that set and the usual standard even if you know nothing of ratios and sizes.

#1764 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 03:29 AM

Wow... I forgot how much work I put into these Sega CD and 32x Boxarts among the others I've worked on...

I barely even remember doing this boxart for the TimeCop prototype on the SEGA CD.

IPB Image

#1765 Mega Man (?)

Mega Man (?)

X-S Genius

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 04:14 AM

Excellent work guys...

madmab,
I am really glad to see that. cool.gif
I will be great to see this in action...cause I know there will be many things it will be useful for.

Rx,
It all looks good,
Thanks for addressing these things so meticulously.
Wow, is that a custom boxart?... nice.

Expect those last 55 (or so) GBC videos within the next few days.
45 of them are made... I just have to finish those last ones, and find the time to sit down and do them. (the week is looking pretty busy.)

GBA videos anyone....

Anyone...?
ph34r.gif

#1766 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 04:30 AM

Haha, yep... Custom Boxart. cool.gif

Genesis makes it easy. I just took another SEGA CD game, and pasted over the game with the DVD cover for TimeCop and there ya go. Dirty little Paint job, but I thought it really rounded out the set well. It was the only game that didn't have boxart before and I was using the image of the game magazine cover that the prototype was included in. I didn't care for the image much, otherwise I would have used the magazine cover for the custom boxart.

LOL... I thought I was done with Genesis. I forgot where I was, is all. I was done with 32x and SEGA CD, but you told me to hold off on editing Genesis boxart until you got the HD stuff to me. Now I get to go through all the images and do some replacing, cropping and other editing. cool.gif

It's totally worth the extra effort though. The NES, SNES and most of the Atari's already got this final Rx touch-up and they look awesome in the emulator.

Still waiting on somebody to do GBA videos, somebody to find or collect high quality Gameboy (regular) boxart, and waiting on Gilles' generics for a few systems.

EDIT: Oh yeah... and I'm still waiting on dnyce to get his upgrades to the NES boxart to me as well. I was getting updates and he sounded really excited, and now it's been like 10 days since I last heard from him. Hope everything is alright with him and he gets that work to me soon.

EDIT2: Hey MM? What do you think about separate boxart packs that are as low quality as we can get without looking bad. Excalibur and I were talking about it before and he seems to think he knows a few ways of shaving the size of the artwork sets quite a bit. This would not only save hard drive space, but it should increase performance as well.

I will not in any way replace the HD sets we've got now, but I think we'd benefit from doing some conversions en masse when we're all ready to get the Xtras out there.

As an example, I was replacing "Brutal: Paws of Fury" in my set. The original image was something like 350px wide x ??? px tall. It was pretty grainy though for being so large. I found a much better looking image for it online, but it's only 150x210. Once it's up on my TV though, it looks great, even though the image on the TV is probably 8 times larger than what my computer screen shows this one as.

Here's the image...
IPB Image

Like I said... it's small, but looks pretty damn good on my box. Much better than the artwork twice the size that I was replacing.

Edited by ressurectionx, 15 December 2009 - 04:44 AM.

#1767 Mega Man (?)

Mega Man (?)

X-S Genius

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 05:31 AM

EDIT2: Hey MM? What do you think about separate boxart packs that are as low quality as we can get without looking bad.

I think it's a great Idea. smile.gif
especially if there is a way to take the sets we have now and just, convert them.

Remember:
The current sets are not only the highest quality... but, we have weeded out bad images and such,
like ones that were just crappy or had marks, corner dents, bad scans, etc...

I would hate to see effort put into re-finding boxarts individually, just to get good images, that are lower sizes.

Converting what is in the sets now, has got to be the best way.

#1768 cbagy

cbagy

X-S Genius

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  • Interests:Nothing legal probably !
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 15 December 2009 - 08:45 AM

Try reducing them to 256 colours rather than 16 million.
This will reduce file size without having to resize them.
You could resize them smaller and reduce to 256 colours.
This produces nice files that dont affect performance and look good.
So ive heard anyway !

#1769 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 09:45 AM

I just can't believe how amazing this all looks man.

Bring a bib when you finally download these new packs when they're completed. cool.gif

I'm really going through the images for each system one by one now. I'm trying my best to find the top shelf images out there and then touching them up if they still need it.

For most systems, it goes great.... Others... not so much.

Gameboy and Genesis come to mind....

Dirty, dirty

There really are no good Genesis images out there besides the HD ones at TCP.com, are there? The boxart sets I found were of the lowest quality of any popular system besides (possibly) the black and white Game Boy. Finding better images one by one online is really hit-or-miss too....

I have a lot of images that max out in the mid to high 300's in pixels, but when you really look at them in their natural size it looks like crappy blow-up jobs of images half their size done in M$Paint. It's too bad those images I'm finding online that max in the lower to mid 200's weren't about twice as big. There are a lot of images that I have with much higher resolution that I'm dumping for smaller pics because the colors aren't so washed out. I hate trading out an image for one half its resolution, but honestly, the XBox displays small images great without the need for insane sizes like we're using, so we can afford it until somebody takes better pictures someday and shares them. Those small images with a much better overall "tint" to them are making the cut, while larger washed out colors are being dumped.

In the end, I know I will be very pleased with how the boxart for Genesis and Gameboy look, but I know that when stuff keeps getting higer resolution and technology grows, these are the two systems that are going to need upgrades on the artwork first.

All that being said... yeah, we need to have the images reduced in an alternate set that is exclusively for use with the XBox. It will simply be mass conversions of our official packs that are optomized for use with the XBox. I've heard people mention the highest ratio that we can benefit from, but I forget that now. Once we have the full artwork packs ready, we'll have a meeting of the minds here and figure out the best way to do this. Ex tells me that in Photoshop you can have a whole bunch of stuff done to a large batch of images on the fly if you know how to set it up.

Basically, we're going to make XBox compliant thumbnails of our ultra-high quality stuff. Whatever the Box can handle, that's what we'll make them.

Now you guys figure whatever that is out amongst each other, and when you come to a conclusion make sure you remember what it was. If it's different for each system, because of the shape of the box, make note of that too.

When the time has come that we're ready, having that information handy would be of great benefit to the project.

#1770 madmab

madmab

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 10:35 AM

Ok. Looks like I'm gonna go with

Back -> Reset image to default settings/view.

Dpad -> Up/Down/Left/Right -> Move image 1/4th the total size of the image.

For the screenshot viewer. The text file viewer pretty much doesn't need anything like that.

I should be able to test that fairly quickly.

That only leaves the seperate Bcart display time Auto Configuration and one other thing which I'd rather not say in case it doesn't work. But after those two I'd feel pretty comfortable with some type of release for now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users