X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 04 January 2010 - 12:05 PM

QUOTE(waal @ Jan 3 2010, 08:27 PM) View Post

Something must be broken in the beta because I can't swap disk anymore for any game I try.
For example Lionheart, Lost Vikings, Passengers on the wind. Try this last one and see how the two disks are inserted in the config and the workbench should load and then display the two disks icons on the desktop but now the system always asks for the first disk. If I press cancel, I've got a recoverable alert which probably means hardware failure for an Amiga. This bug happen whatever the system file is, DOS or custom. I suppose it's related to the previous df0:???? bug.

The reason it is happening is because the files within the zip are greater than 42 characters and the first 42 characters of each filename is exactly the same. X-port's code got around this by adding a random directory name for every file it unzipped. I originally removed this because of it's potential to "fill up" the utility drive (drive Z:), thus increasing the chances of the emu locking up if the utility drive got full while using the emulator.

With console based emu's this was not really an issue but when I started converting computer based emu's then it becomes a problem for the above mentioned reason. So once again ( laugh.gif ) I just redid the unzip code to revert it back to the old style. So now it works properly. Maybe in the future I'll put in some #define for computer based emu's to activate this feature, thus eliminating the possibility of console based emu's filling up the Z: drive.

Usually this is no big deal, but when you get into the console based systems with larger ROMS ( Genesis, SNES, GBA ) then it can be easy to see how the utility drive can be filled up pretty quickly.

I'll send it to you when I get a chance. Unfortunately I had already added in the auto config and preset controller and have not tested it. So I cannot send it just yet...

#1862 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,214 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 04 January 2010 - 05:12 PM

Man..... MG and other sites have a lot of nerve putting watermarks all over pictures. And they're usually right over a tough spot to fix..... grr.gif

Game Gear has been a nightmare with those and the beat up boxes. Fortunately for this system and all the others I've done I've managed to get rid of about 98% of all stickers, watermarks and crummy boxes. Thankfully, nobody is going to have stupid watermarks on their boxes when this is finally done anymore.

I'm about halfway through with Game Gear. It looks like we're in the same boat with that system as we were in with Game Boy and Genesis, in that about half the images are not anywhere near the quality of the standard on newer/more popular systems.

After I get through with that, I'm going to consider moving on with NES even though dnyce hasn't gotten his upgrade pack to me yet. Maybe I'll find something else to take up the time before then, but the NES boxart is pretty important and it's being treated just about last as far as the artwork goes now.

Later,
~Rx

#1863 bigby

bigby

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 291 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 05 January 2010 - 03:19 AM

QUOTE(waal @ Jan 3 2010, 12:21 AM) View Post

Excellent news ! I see we're making progress. cool.gif

I tested the whdload feature and it works perfect now. First I thought the whd were zipped files but I remembered that this feature was available much later in Winuae (edit. Just read again the amiga setup thread and I forgot about the WHZ extension. Will try this.). So I copied my _whdload.hdf and some hdf games renamed to whd et voilą ! Drives were mounted automatically. Right now I'm testing these games with the same system config. I have many versions to choose from. Particularly, I have to see if the CD32 versions are worth keeping. For the moment the results are very good, games load fast and run smooth (I'll have to confirm that). It looks like a console, it's amazing.

I'll send you samples very soon with mappings, too.

Great to see all this progress with the Amiga!

waal, what exactly is the _whdload.hdf? (I know what WHDLoad is)

Edited by bigby, 05 January 2010 - 03:22 AM.

#1864 madmab

madmab

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 05:40 AM

QUOTE(bigby @ Jan 4 2010, 09:19 PM) View Post

Great to see all this progress with the Amiga!

waal, what exactly is the _whdload.hdf? (I know what WHDLoad is)
That is just the name you have to give your whdload file if you use the "auto whdload" feature I'm adding into the emulator. Basically if you have a zipped ".whd" file from Killer Gorilla's site and rename the extension to ".whz" that tells the emulator to mount the ".whz" file as DH1:Games, and the "_whdload.hdf" as DH0: to boot off of.

Pretty much just simplifies the process for the end user so they can concentrate on playing the games and not worry about mounting stuff.

#1865 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:32 AM

One more emu completely knocked down. cool.gif

I believe I have the best possible artwork now for the Sega Master System, Game Gear and Sega SG-1000. I've also done over 100 hours work touching up the best boxes i could find. There are still a few watermarks here and there where I thought it was too dangerous for me to mess around with trying to remove them, but it's really only the very obscure games that this happened on. Most of the stickers and tears, rips and bends are removed from all the images too.

This system has been done for quite a while as far as videos and synopsis is concerned, so barring any new developments at the romhacking site I do believe we can put another nail in this coffin.

Got about 5 emulators left that need some serious work still, and they're all much smaller than the Gameboy library. After that it's on to Arcade vids and various other Xtras where usable.

Later,
~Rx

#1866 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 12:33 PM

I want to generate some interest in here.

I also want to show anybody who thinks I've been bullshitting about what's been done that it has been.

I will release 2 packs for any system that the majority wants.

Today is Janurary 5th.

By Friday, the 8th, I will consider any suggestion that anyone has made in this thread as a vote on the ballot.

On Friday, the ballot will be put out, and anyone who participates in a 24 hour period will have two votes for what they want.

Hopefully we don't get responses from the Usual Suspects and we can get some new blood in here.

Happy voting,
~Rx

Disclaimers: Sets that are not close to complete will be commented on as to why they're not on the ballot. There is tons of stuff ready or damn near close to ready right now, so it shouldn't come up too often. Just don't ask for PSX, N64, Intellivision and any of the computer based emulators, as well as NES artwork since it's behind schedule now. Anything else is pretty much fair game as far as XPORT emus are concerned.

#1867 bigby

bigby

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 291 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 05 January 2010 - 03:15 PM

madmab, what exactly is the contents of the _whdload.hdf. Is it like:

C folder - WHDLoad, setpatch, execute, assign .etc

Devs folder - kickstarts folder - kick roms

S folder - startup-sequence, whdload.key, whdload.prefs

Is it possible you could send me the hdf? (without the kickstarts and whdload.key, of course)

#1868 pkbunghole

pkbunghole

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 05:38 PM

I'd love to have a go with the genesis pack.. biggrin.gif

Or snes.

Someone really needs to add commandline launching of snes9xbox into znexbox (so that all of the snes and its extras can be in one place - the few roms needing snes9xbox could then be launched from zsnexbox)

#1869 ttdttd

ttdttd

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 06:23 PM

Long time lurker here, just registered today to say THANK YOU for all the time, effort and energy the team has put into this project.

The thought of having such a polished and organized system for enjoying these classic games is very exciting. It's great that the detailed work of many volunteers will be able to be shared with and enjoyed by all.

Thanks again and congrats on approaching the finish line!

ps. Regarding the vote, SNES and Sega Genesis.

#1870 madmab

madmab

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:39 AM

QUOTE(pkbunghole @ Jan 5 2010, 11:38 AM) View Post

I'd love to have a go with the genesis pack.. biggrin.gif

Or snes.

Someone really needs to add commandline launching of snes9xbox into znexbox (so that all of the snes and its extras can be in one place - the few roms needing snes9xbox could then be launched from zsnexbox)
That's an interesting idea. Problem is zsnesxbox will exit back to the dash and not snes9xbox.

#1871 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 08:14 AM

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to clear up some possible confusion because I don't believe I was clear about what I meant by two packs. An artwork pack is one pack. A video pack is another pack. A FAQ or Manual pack would be others. I didn't mean that I'd put two whole systems together early. laugh.gif

I'm working hard to make that start happening on March 15, and I'm not looking to create myself an insane amount of double work here this close to the finish line. cool.gif

I shouldn't have made it so confusing, so let's make it simple now. I'll put out one artwork and video pack for the system of the communities choice.

The only caveat is that I likely will not be keeping track of what is new from this upload to the officially planned March release, so, decide on your own if you want to download and try them out now, wait until the official release since there will likely be a few more games included, or just do them both. You probably wouldn't be missing much at all at this point if you just downloaded the one I put up after we decide.

Genesis and SNES were the two I figure will get the most votes, but I thought that PCE might make it too depending on the crowd. Realize that I will not be releasing an alternate ZSNESXBox artwork pack at this point in time if we go with SNES. This is just a teaser to keep interest up and we'll just stay with the XPORT emus for now.

So... anyone who's voted so far, I thank you. To anyone who has voted in a PM I ask that you put your vote out here to be counted. I hope to hear from more of you about this. I'm really excited that it's this close to launch time.

Here's to 2010.... The year of the ressurection.
~Rx

QUOTE(pkbunghole @ Jan 5 2010, 10:38 AM) View Post

Yes. I agree 100%. That would be very cool. Make it work kind of like the PSX emulator where it will load one or the other core. I'm sure it's much harder than the PSX setup since they're totally different emus..... but maybe not????

The problem is, it would require someone with knowledge of NES's emulator to make it happen. I got pretty good at surfing MAME code a few years back once, but I just couldn't wrap my head around XPORT's code (I really didn't try much because I was so wrapped up in arcades at the time). All I'm trying to say is that it wouldn't be something that madmab could do easily or quickly, or would even be remotely interested in learning. He'd basically have to relearn how somebody else coded another emulator differently from scratch.

I've been asking NES for about half a year to provide the ability to choose the media directories, but I know he's really busy with FBL and probably a lot more real life stuff than I've got going on right now so it hasn't happened yet. My hand's are tied... Nobody else I can ask to do it, and I'm way to busy with my project to learn how to do it in my spare time (what spare time? laugh.gif ). I've just become spoiled because Madmab has made 98% of the things I've asked for come true with the XPORT setup.

Any coders out there interested??? Anybody???? Anyone????

Long time lurker here, just registered today to say THANK YOU for all the time, effort and energy the team has put into this project.

The thought of having such a polished and organized system for enjoying these classic games is very exciting. It's great that the detailed work of many volunteers will be able to be shared with and enjoyed by all.

Thanks again and congrats on approaching the finish line!

ps. Regarding the vote, SNES and Sega Genesis.

Long time reader, first time poster. That's I'm trying to make happen here. cool.gif

Lots to be excited about now. Good things coming soon.

Let's breathe some life into the scene again. It's been too quiet around here for too long guys.

So.... who's got good video recording equipment so they can make a video of their own setup with this stuff in action for everyone else to witness?

#1872 cbagy

cbagy

X-S Genius

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  • Interests:Nothing legal probably !
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:24 AM

I have a chance today to get a NeoGenesis video with extras ! No promises but im 99% sure i can get a 5 mins vid made and uploaded. Someone else can put it on youtube os some shit like that if you want.

#1873 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:27 AM

Oh cool. Sounds good man.

BTW... to everyone.... cbagy's videos haven't made it into the Xtras set yet, so if you all choose Genesis, it will be much lower quality than the final release on a lot of videos.

#1874 pkbunghole

pkbunghole

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 12:57 PM

QUOTE(madmab @ Jan 6 2010, 06:39 AM) View Post

That's an interesting idea. Problem is zsnesxbox will exit back to the dash and not snes9xbox.

Well im not a programmer, but I would have thought as long as you have the source to both emus (and i believe they are both available?) it could be done relatively easily? instead of having the alternate core just 'end' when you quit, have it load 'default.xbe'

I realise people were upset at him for doing so, but Britneys Pairs recently added launching for games using Nes's Final Burn 1.1 core into CoinOPS and it worked really nicely (same UI mappings as CoinOPS, auto selected SD/HD depending on users CoinOPS settings etc) so it is definately a do-able thing smile.gif

Edited by pkbunghole, 06 January 2010 - 01:13 PM.

#1875 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 06:35 PM

I'm not upset at BP for doing that since I hear that NES was done working on it. (I could be mistaken about that, but that's what I thought I read). BP's a guy like me who adds something good to his project when he sees it. If money was involved, it'd be a different story, but then again I'm sure the data would be protected if it were. In the end it's better for the entire community to bring everything together. I'm cool with the WHY, it's just that I'm sure the HOW was an ugly thing. Too bad there's so much drama surrounding such a great project, but that's the way it is.

I bet I get a bit of drama from HS or TCP or mobygame$ somebody else someday about the use of their boxart and stripping out all their watermarks, but since I've put in easily 500 hours or more touching up other boxes that were never touched up, I'm not going to let it get to me. I may get some crap from emum0vies too about the videos, but I'm prepared to offer them my work when I'm done since we will have pretty much filled in ALL of their gaps over the last year. It's not as if I'll have a choice in the matter. Once the videos are out there, you can't very well put the shit back in the horse, can ya?

Anyways... Like I said above about SNES, I believe it could be done, but merging the two systems together would probably be quite a bit harder than doing it the way that the PSX loads different core since they're two entirely different emulators. It would probably require some collaboration between two people who know enough about how each emulator works since there is nobody around that seems to know how both operate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users