#1951 Carnage by Bob

Carnage by Bob

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 08:27 AM

QUOTE(Pulsemasta @ Jan 14 2010, 08:44 PM) View Post

Not to turn this into an Amiga thread, but what games would you recommend for Amiga?

P.S.

SIM City SNES

Civilization SNES

Are the amiga versions better?

The SNES Civilization port was done by Koei, not Microprose. Normally, I'd be all over anything old school that they published. Unfortunately, the end result is a game that looks kinda like Civilization and plays kinda like Civilization, but is no where near as good as the real deal on an Amiga or PC. It's like me giving you a non alcoholic beer after you've had the real thing wink.gif

Sim City is the same way. It was ported all over the place but your Amiga or PC versions are still your best bet. And this assumption usually holds true for many old school games. Anything that was originally on a computer and ported to a console was inferior in many ways. It is a recent phenomenon that consoles receive primary development focus, and then a PC port follows....often with varying results. Strange what time does to things biggrin.gif

As always there are some exceptions. Populous was ported to the Genesis, SNES, and PCE and plays well on all of them. Another off the top of my head was Starflight. An old school PC classic that was ported to the Genesis and given a graphical and sound overhaul. The end result is a title that looks, sounds, and plays better than on the computer.

That said, I am really looking forward to seeing the work that has been done with the Amiga emulator. I still have my Amiga in the closet next to my old 486. I can't let them go, yet it's a PITA to set them up to play anything. From what I have read here, it looks like the work that has been done is going to make for one easy Amiga emulation experience!

#1952 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,214 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 15 January 2010 - 08:38 AM

X-COM was ported from the PC to the PSX. It's one of the exceptions to the rule, mainly because the controller was mapped perfectly to the control pad. Its only downside was that you didn't want to save in battle because it ate up a complete memory card when you did and it would take about 7 or 8 minutes to load a new game if you restarted mid-battle.

I'm glad Sotu got the PSX version working after years of thinking it didn't work. I got the PC version working, but it's impossible to map to the controller like the PSX game since a majority of the functions were controlled by the mouse.

#1953 Mega Man (?)

Mega Man (?)

X-S Genius

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 15 January 2010 - 11:56 PM

Ahhh... all this game talk...!
Make another thread...
no ... just kidding... but, I am lost now... tongue.gif

Rx, I'll get you the converter soon.

Edited by Mega Man (?), 15 January 2010 - 11:56 PM.

#1954 Carnage by Bob

Carnage by Bob

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 10:23 AM

I saw that help was needed in completing the extra pack for the Intellivision. After seeing the work that was done on AtariXLBox , I could not stand by and let the best old school system be ignored. The Intellivision deserves to have proper treatment in the upcoming extras.

In addition to all of the pack updates, a working spreadsheet of games that are playable on BlissX will be made available on the first page of the EXTRAS thread. Unfortunately, the version of Bliss that Xport used to code the emulator was an early build and DOES NOT support any of the newer games (except 4-Tris) or Intellivoice games. Three of my favorite games were axed right there. Some kind soul out there MIGHT be updating the emulator, but until there is more confirmation on this, we all have to make do with what we have.

Included in this pack is the most awesome Intellivision Cover Scans ever assembled! I used the coverproject.net scans when possible, but the majority came from intvfunhouse.com. All scans were tweaked in Photoshop to remove glaring blemishes, light/dark issues, tears, crushed boxes, and general wear for packaging that is now around 30 years old. In all, it was a nasty, brutal pixel by pixel job for about 70% of the collection. All images are cropped to a width of 425 pixels. There is NOT ONE SINGLE WATERMARK on any of these images and it is my expressed desire that they remain watermark free for all eternity. If you are affiliated with Mobygames you may NOT mark these images, in fact you are not even allowed to look at them! I made custom boxes for unreleased games, the system files that must be in the rom directory, the demo cart, test cart, and song player carts. As I find more "unreleased games" I will add to the art pack. As it stands, it is 141 files of box shot goodness that at this point is 99% complete. As I work with the pack, I notice small errors and correct them as I go. So, there will be more updates to the pack.

Examples of cover restoration include the following:

IPB Image IPB Image

IPB Image IPB Image

IPB Image IPB Image

But wait there is more!

Also included is a set of overlays for the Intellivision. This set includes all of the original system overlays and all of the “Orphan Overlays” created by Psycho Stormtrooper. Only system files, demos, and unreleased games do not have an overlay. The overlay set is also at 99% completion and will receive minor updates as I notice outstanding issues. As with the art pack, this too will see an update.

Wait! Act now and I’ll throw in a set of Title and Action screens for FREE!

That’s right! Included is a modified and edited set of Title and Action screens. I am happy to report that all Title and Actions screens are 100% complete! Only the addition of new games would require any more work at this point. Both screens spliced into one PNG to keep the preview windows ratio intact to properly display the cover, overlays, and title & action.

Still not convinced?!

Also in progress is the Intellivision Manual Pack. Currently, a complete set of manuals is avaiable in txt files. The plan is to inject these into a synopsis file. Also, this set has 60 manuals in PDF. The goal is to obtain a complete set of manuals in PDF and to break down any PDF’s into PNG’s so that they can be viewed from the emulator like the NES manual packs. If you have Intellivision manual scans or know where to obtain them please let me know! I still need about 70 of them!

That’s Great! But I'm scared that this system does not have Mario and/or has too many buttons for my tiny brain to handle even though my Xbox controller has more buttons and stuff?" huh.gif

There is a game with Mario in it.... so CHILL

And...

First, many games only made use of the pad and one or two fire buttons.

Second, upcoming updates will include a controller configuration with VISUAL AID!!!!!. I have created a setup that works well for almost every game. Please be patient as the final product for special configurations should include a pic of special button mappings.

Overall Status of Project

1. Controller configurations are 90% complete. Visual aid created to help mentally impaired players.

2. Cover pack is 99% complete

3. Overlay pack is 99% complete

4. Title & Action Pack is 100% complete barring new game entries.

5. Text manuals need to be formatted for synopsis. (Need help with this!)

6. Need PDF manuals broken down into PNG's for viewing inside emulator. (Need help with this!)

7. Still need about 70 PDF Manuals for a complete set (Need help with this!)

8. Need videos made for 125 games (Currently in progress!) (Beta pack for A-E completed)

9. Need Blissx updated with newer Bliss code, save state functionality, and Intellivoice support. (Definitely Need a lot more help with this as I have no idea about coding!)

10. Spreadsheet updated to version 4

#1955 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 10:42 AM

Awesome man. Glad to hear that you're already so far along on this.

Those boxarts are great too. That's the kind of thing I've tried my best to do for all the console emulators. I must have touched up at least 2,000 pics myself. Unfortunately, a lot of the images aren't as large as those so you can only do so much sometime.

It's always nice to have an unexpected add to the Xtras. First waal comes back after I hadn't heard much from him in months with tons of work done on the Amiga, and you come outta nowhere with this.

Great to have ya on board man. Hopefully all this work encourages others to take on their favorite systems as well some day.

Thanks for all the hard work,
~Rx

Oh... and an important P.S.

If those txt files are really large, you may want to hold off on putting them in an Rx style synopsis until you've got a beta to work with. I do know that there is a limit for how long a synopsis can be, although I couldn't tell you what it is. It can be pretty long per game before breaking, but you'll know it's bad when it freezes your XBox.

Also, the most recent beta for the NES has a new fixed-width font feature that displays instruction manuals and Faqs much nicer than the synopsis would. The synopsis doesn't really call for having any tables or ASCII art like some instructions and faqs do, so it doesn't need to be fixed width.

Madmab and I are trying to brainstorm and iron out a killer "Media Browser" function that would be ideal for displaying those instruction manuals.

Edited by ressurectionx, 16 January 2010 - 10:46 AM.

#1956 madmab

madmab

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 16 January 2010 - 11:16 AM

I was actually gonna finish updating BlissX to a "Madmab Edition" yesterday but ended up wasting all my time screwing with a dang virus! Boy those things are annoying. grr.gif Anyways I'm gonna switch that machine to the same set-up as my other machine which so far, cross fingers, has had no issues.

In regards to the media browser... yeah I'm gonna add in those extra directories eventually. A bit tied up on Winuaex ATM.

As far as Blissx goes. I'm currently updating it to a "Madmab Edition". I also plan on eventually...

1) Trying to get the intellivoice going.

2) Possibly update it to the latest core (if there is one)

3) Add overlay support (It'd be nice if you could send me those overlays so I can take a look at them and get them prepped). It really helps if they are uniform in size. Overlays can be a bit iffy, though. For example on the 5200 I really had to clean them up quite a bit. On AdamX (colecovision) I didn't have to mess around with them too much.

I'll work out something in regards to the controller setup. Intellivision is a bit unique in that most every game took advantage of the overlay. In some cases very inefficiently, ah but whatever.

#1957 Carnage by Bob

Carnage by Bob

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 11:34 AM

QUOTE(ressurectionx @ Jan 16 2010, 03:42 AM) View Post

Awesome man. Glad to hear that you're already so far along on this.

Those boxarts are great too. That's the kind of thing I've tried my best to do for all the console emulators. I must have touched up at least 2,000 pics myself. Unfortunately, a lot of the images aren't as large as those so you can only do so much sometime.
It's always nice to have an unexpected add to the Xtras. First waal comes back after I hadn't heard much from him in months with tons of work done on the Amiga, and you come outta nowhere with this.
Great to have ya on board man. Hopefully all this work encourages others to take on their favorite systems as well some day.
Thanks for all the hard work,
~Rx
Oh... and an important P.S.

If those txt files are really large, you may want to hold off on putting them in an Rx style synopsis until you've got a beta to work with. I do know that there is a limit for how long a synopsis can be, although I couldn't tell you what it is. It can be pretty long per game before breaking, but you'll know it's bad when it freezes your XBox.

Also, the most recent beta for the NES has a new fixed-width font feature that displays instruction manuals and Faqs much nicer than the synopsis would. The synopsis doesn't really call for having any tables or ASCII art like some instructions and faqs do, so it doesn't need to be fixed width.

Madmab and I are trying to brainstorm and iron out a killer "Media Browser" function that would be ideal for displaying those instruction manuals.

Hopefully all of the recent activity will spur someone else along to finish another system. The work that's being done on the Amiga is awesome, and I don't know how you stay sane after editing 2,000+ photos. If it was not for all of the contributions here, my Xbox would have been gathering dust long ago. So doing a pack is just a way I can contribute and say "Thanks" for all the the other cool stuff I've used on the box over the years.

I've always wanted to see a clean MSX/MSX 2 emulation experience if anyone wants to venture into uncharted waters and make a pack.....biggrin.gif There are additional gems in there besides Metal Gear. The Odyssey would be easy enough for someone to knock out real quick. The Vectrex would be too if we had a better emulator for it.

I don't think anyone has touched any of the Commodore computers aside from the Amiga. There is also the Amstrad CPC or someone could go way out there and do an Apple extra set! Did anyone ever take on the Spectrum?

As mentioned, I am not touching synopsis or fixed width faqs and such until maybe at the very end. I would much rather just be able to look at the REAl scanned manual rather than a text file anyway.

That ultimate "media browser" .... that's called an Xbox PDF viewer. That is the ONE app we really, really need.

#1958 Carnage by Bob

Carnage by Bob

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 11:53 AM

QUOTE(madmab @ Jan 16 2010, 04:16 AM) View Post

I was actually gonna finish updating BlissX to a "Madmab Edition" yesterday but ended up wasting all my time screwing with a dang virus! Boy those things are annoying. grr.gif Anyways I'm gonna switch that machine to the same set-up as my other machine which so far, cross fingers, has had no issues.

In regards to the media browser... yeah I'm gonna add in those extra directories eventually. A bit tied up on Winuaex ATM.

As far as Blissx goes. I'm currently updating it to a "Madmab Edition". I also plan on eventually...

1) Trying to get the intellivoice going.

2) Possibly update it to the latest core (if there is one)

3) Add overlay support (It'd be nice if you could send me those overlays so I can take a look at them and get them prepped). It really helps if they are uniform in size. Overlays can be a bit iffy, though. For example on the 5200 I really had to clean them up quite a bit. On AdamX (colecovision) I didn't have to mess around with them too much.

I'll work out something in regards to the controller setup. Intellivision is a bit unique in that most every game took advantage of the overlay. In some cases very inefficiently, ah but whatever.

Was busy typing and didn't see the update biggrin.gif

I checked the developer's site for Bliss, and it is still available. The programmer just has not made an update in almost 3 years. I tried some games that were not working on the box with the PC version and the newer Intellivision titles do not work on the pc Bliss version as well. However, it would still be really neat to have the Intellivoice games working on the Xbox. Also, Motocross crashes after track selection and Ice Trek has terrible sound. The save states do not work. The weirdest problem is that wireless Logitech controllers do not work with the emulator. I have had to use a wired one for all of my playing testing.

Thank you for updating the emulator. Hopefully when you are finished with the Amiga emulator, you will find some fixes for the rest of the outstanding issues with BlissX. If the work is any thing like AtariXLBox, we are all in for a treat biggrin.gif

The work on that emulator to take it from PITA, to enjoyable emulation experience was a huge contributing factor for getting me to contribute to the project.

The overlay pack is available for download on the first page of this thread under the Intellivision section as well as the following:

HD Intellivison Art Pack Ver 1

ResX updated the front page to reflect current development! All overlays are 425 x 585 pixels. The only issue that may arise is that they did not look all that great being as large as the covers so they are all placed on a white background and are smaller than the actual 425 width. you'll see what i am talking about after you look at the pack. If I need to crop them all down to a certain ratio/size/pixel location let me know. i will get on it after I finish making videos.

When you get BlissX updated to the madmad edition please send me a copy so that I can put my pack in it to make sure it looks good and make any necessary tweaks. As it is I am using a modified skin to "simulate" the eventual ability of having dual previews.

#1959 gilles9999

gilles9999

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 12:28 PM

just a little more contribution here to all those cool guys helping the project:
(requested by my resX)

IPB Image

to have an uniform look in the Xtras main page

Edited by gilles9999, 16 January 2010 - 12:29 PM.

#1960 Pulsemasta

Pulsemasta

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 16 January 2010 - 12:58 PM

Res.
You should really inquire about becoming a Mod here and then you could have a forum dedicated to the Xtra's, a lot like the XPORT forums. This would be way easier than the set up you have now, I think. Then you could edit posts as well as keeping all the links in a sticky that is locked to posts, so it doesn't get too cluttered.

#1961 waal

waal

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 01:01 PM

Thanks Gilles for the new banner. I like it. I always said I was an alien and nobody believed me until then !

Damn, I'm really a clumsy repairer. After my xbox n°1 died, I softmodded my spare xbox. And I cut the wire of the fan while I was changing the HDD. Interesting fact: Now I know that a processor can't live without cooling for more than 15min. laugh.gif
I'm going for xbox n°3 now and I've got to remember where I put those damn weird screwdrivers...

Apart from that, I am very pleased to see the work done by Carnage Bob for BlissX. Not to mention the work done by other members that we meet on this forum of course. I love it. Good luck to all.

#1962 Pulsemasta

Pulsemasta

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 01:28 PM

I could never get BlissX working, I don't know if you need special ROMS or what but I gave up on it a while back. I just want to play B-17 Bomber cause that was the only game I had for it as a kid.... has anyone played that?

"BeeeeeeeeeeeSeventeeeeeeeeenBommmmmmber"

haha

#1963 madmab

madmab

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 16 January 2010 - 03:16 PM

Well for one. BlissX never supported zipped BIOS ROMS. Plus you have to make sure all the BIOS roms are in the proper directory in order for it to work properly.

Edited by madmab, 16 January 2010 - 03:17 PM.

#1964 Pulsemasta

Pulsemasta

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 03:19 PM

QUOTE(madmab @ Jan 16 2010, 03:16 PM) View Post

Well for one. BlissX never supported zipped BIOS ROMS. Plus you have to make sure all the BIOS roms are in the proper directory in order for it to work properly.

I can't recall if I was trying Zipped or Unzipped ROMS

P.S.

Edited by Pulsemasta, 16 January 2010 - 03:20 PM.

#1965 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 07:25 PM

QUOTE(Pulsemasta @ Jan 16 2010, 05:58 AM) View Post

Res.
You should really inquire about becoming a Mod here and then you could have a forum dedicated to the Xtra's, a lot like the XPORT forums. This would be way easier than the set up you have now, I think. Then you could edit posts as well as keeping all the links in a sticky that is locked to posts, so it doesn't get too cluttered.

Too busy to be a mod man. It's really not all that unorganized. At least, I know where everything is. I only lost 1 thread before and that's because it aged off the XPORT forum and I couldn't find the link for it. I've got the ability to edit my posts which is good enough for my work. I think they hand pick mods anyways. At least most sites do that.

Now that everything Xtras-wise is almost done, we can let most of the other threads I've ever been a part of fade away anyhow.

Hey Gilles,

Thanks for the banner man! Didn't know if you would see it with all the posting in here recently. I've put it in the main post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users