X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,214 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:38 AM

Haha....

I barely listen to the radio anymore with all this tech I got.... just happened to hear it. How long has it been out lol?

It was about 2 months into it when I first heard we'd ripped a hole in the planet. How's that cleanup going now anyways? It's still plugged, right?

Anyways.... I'm officially giving up the Doom WAD project for DOSXBox. No point....

Check this awesome project out: Odamex

Really bad-ass project and I hope it gets completed someday and that interested people see if there is anything else they can do to help out.

Two thumbs up Hyper Eye cool.gif

#3062 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 03:33 PM

6835 unique Xtras downloads on 47 t0rrents so far.

Thanks for seeding.

Spread the word smile.gif

#3063 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 04:30 PM

I could use help getting media for DOS games from abandonia. Manuals, walkthroughs, faqs, etc....

Anyone want to help? smile.gif

#3064 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 08:52 AM

Over 200 DOS synopsis entries made today on some of the most awesome DOS games. Hopefully most of them work when they're tested. smile.gif

Tons of manuals and boxarts and walkthroughs and other things collected so far too today. If some people would like to look on sites other than Abandonia for me for media that's still missing for these games, I would be very appreciative. There is one or two sites we could use somebody ripping the vids from too, if somebody has some video ripping software installed.

We're all about eliminating double-work through teamwork.... cool.gif

BTW.... in 15 days there were 942 unique downloads of Rx T0rrents. biggrin.gif

~Rx

#3065 Darknior

Darknior

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 05 September 2010 - 08:07 PM

Woaw ... fantastic work ... i really stand bye to see a final DOSBox pack lol
Thanks a lot

#3066 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 07:44 AM

Hehe....

Actually getting these games to play is the real bitch though.

With the help of Madmab, BombBloke and Guybird I finally got The 7th Guest working on the XBox about 20 minutes ago. Seems to work perfectly. Something I thought I'd never see.

Just gotta get that "crazy mouse syndrome" under control or it won't be as enjoyable as it would be if you have a USB keyboard.

#3067 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 10:07 AM

Well... it will take a bit of work but it looks like there is a good workaround for about 80% of the crashes I was having with DOS games. Seems madmab had to alter some things around so that DOS4GW.EXE was really misbehaving and refusing to load a game after 1 or 2 games were loaded before it.

Seems there's a fix though....

DOS32A.EXE, and all of it's extra files that make it work if DOS4GW.EXE has a deathgrip on the game....

Here's a little info I found out about this just now....

DOS/32A is a free, open-source DOS Extender which can be used as a drop-in replacement for the popular DOS/4GW DOS Extender and compatibles. Being fast, small and flexible DOS/32A can be used in many environments, from embedded systems to DOS emulators, by both developers and end users alike.

Since May 2002 DOS/32A and its source code have been opened to the public. Nowadays the project is being maintained by its original author and, although no active development is currently planned, patches and bug-reports are accepted and reviewed during my spare time.

http://dos32a.narech...t/index_en.html

Well folks.... this is the stuff that needs to be done to make things plug'n'play for ya'all.....

I won't pretend to know the details of how it all works, but obviously the memory allocation stuff works a lot better for a lot of games with the new configurations that madmab has.... Looks like making fixes to make this run instead of DOS4GW.EXE is the price you pay for great compatibility with a system as limited as the XBox is.

Hopefully in the end everything works perfect and this post doesn't even matter to ya.

When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

~Rx

#3068 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:43 AM

Yep... that fix above works miracles. I barely get any freezups at all anymore after replacing that file. Some games are more tricky than others though and I'll need Madmab and Guybird's help with them.

I just wanted to let Gilles know here that Incredible Machine 1 & 2 work fine in Dosbox. smile.gif

#3069 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:48 AM

146 DOS games configured and confirmed working on my rig now. 116 to go (from the first, and hopefully largest, collection of adds).

I'm thinking I will also see if I can get all of the Scummvmx games working as well.

There's currently drawbacks to both systems. Scumm doesn't allow you to adjust the screen like the Madmab/XPORT emus, and Dosbox currently has some pretty spotty mouse controls. If they are configured to work 100% on DOSbox though, and you have a USB keyboard, you will be able to see the full screen... making it the best DOS experience currently on the XBox for compatible games.

If I do try to add those scumm games, there would be about 35 more games that weren't accounted for on the list so far.

I may also try to add all the games that there were ports made for. I would never have considered that before, but DOSbox just works so much better than I expected it to that they may end up playing just as well as the ports.

Later,
~Rx

EDIT:

Thanks again to Madmab and Guybird for all their pre-configuring which saved probably hundreds of hours of hair pulling, and to Madmab for adding a few awesome new tweaks that make configuring games so much easier than it used to be.

Edited by ressurectionx, 10 September 2010 - 08:57 AM.

#3070 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 11:36 PM

https://spreadsheets...CMLJjfsH#gid=10

Here's the current list of games I've verified as working 100% in DOSXBox. Any help collecting the missing media would be greatly appreciated (Don't bother with abandonia, as I've already got whatever I could for all games included from that site).

Games that I'm having problems getting running are towards the bottom of the list. Problems are detailed in the notes section for each game. Some of these games are ones that Madmab and Guybird already got working, but I just couldn't figure out.

You should all be thrilled to know that Number Munchers does indeed work without any problems smile.gif

~Rx

#3071 Xmodder deluX

Xmodder deluX

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 11 September 2010 - 11:53 PM

QUOTE(ressurectionx @ Sep 11 2010, 05:36 PM) View Post
You should all be thrilled to know that Number Munchers does indeed work without any problems smile.gif

I could have told you that. biggrin.gif
He's the best character to use in super mario wars too.

#3072 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 02:37 PM

Hehe... I didn't even know you could play in in SMW. I've got an old version. Time for an update smile.gif

I just finished playing Dark Sun: Shattered Lands for DOS on my rig. It plays as perfect as I remembered it playing. The original's got a few bugs, but a very loyal online fanbase could fill you in on every single one of them.... (Does the Sword Blank actually do anything, or is it a red herring placed in the game to drive you insane?)

Don't let the bugs fool you though.

THIS IS AN AWESOME GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!

I haven't played it for about 12 years until now. Probably never would have played it again if it wasn't on my XBox and big screen TV now. (I hate playing PC games on that tiny screen and uncomfortable chair).

I recommend this game to anybody who's a fan of RPG games in general. If you were a fan of the old SSI games like Pools of Radiance and Gateway to the Savage Frontier, this is so much more advanced and easier to play with just a USB mouse and no keyboard required. Hopefully madmab will get the "crazy mouse syndrome" on lockdown and this and other great point and click DOS games like Monkey Island and X-Com will be accessible to everyone.

All files necessary to play this will be available *somewhere* soon. I had to take a few days off to enjoy this classic treasure. cool.gif

Later,
~Rx

#3073 losgar

losgar

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 07:58 PM

Dark Sun: Shattered Lands WAS an awesome game. I have fond memories. I look forward to loadin' it up when the new DOSXbox is out!

QUOTE(ressurectionx @ Sep 17 2010, 06:37 AM) View Post

Hehe... I didn't even know you could play in in SMW. I've got an old version. Time for an update smile.gif
I just finished playing Dark Sun: Shattered Lands for DOS on my rig. It plays as perfect as I remembered it playing. The original's got a few bugs, but a very loyal online fanbase could fill you in on every single one of them.... (Does the Sword Blank actually do anything, or is it a red herring placed in the game to drive you insane?)

Don't let the bugs fool you though.

THIS IS AN AWESOME GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!

I haven't played it for about 12 years until now. Probably never would have played it again if it wasn't on my XBox and big screen TV now. (I hate playing PC games on that tiny screen and uncomfortable chair).

I recommend this game to anybody who's a fan of RPG games in general. If you were a fan of the old SSI games like Pools of Radiance and Gateway to the Savage Frontier, this is so much more advanced and easier to play with just a USB mouse and no keyboard required. Hopefully madmab will get the "crazy mouse syndrome" on lockdown and this and other great point and click DOS games like Monkey Island and X-Com will be accessible to everyone.

All files necessary to play this will be available *somewhere* soon. I had to take a few days off to enjoy this classic treasure. cool.gif

Later,
~Rx

#3074 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 02:25 AM

Yeah... too bad the second one is so full of bugs it's not playable. I don't think it's the emus fault either. I don't ever remember playing much of it back in the day and I think I remember why now. Bummer.... Maybe there's a working patch for it that I don't know about?

Anyways.... Got all of the working games, game saves, launcher files, controller configs, boxart/cartarts, screenshots, manuals and walkthroughs upped for the games I have working in my spreadsheet. If anyone who's interested in DOS would like to give them a try to let me know if they work right away for you, please let me know.

Later,
~Rx

DOS Compatibility List: https://spreadsheets...CMLJjfsH#gid=10

Edited by ressurectionx, 19 September 2010 - 03:50 AM.

#3075 losgar

losgar

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 12:44 AM

Hey Rx,

Sure, I'd be interested in testing it! -- that spreadsheet is KILLER. I played many many of those back in the day. Where's Might and Magic 1&2 though!? biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users