X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,214 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 13 September 2008 - 06:54 PM

QUOTE(micster @ Sep 13 2008, 02:43 PM) View Post

This is so wonderful, thanks ressurectionx!

I just got everything downloaded and tested and it is working great. You saved me untold hours.

I ran into a snag though.... my xbox is out of hard drive space so I decided to only use the English games to save space. Now I'm trying to figure out a way to slim down the artwork and video previews to only include the matching English box art and game previews. Any suggestions on how to do this?

I used your English datafile and that worked for the ROMs, leaving me with just the 700 odd titles. I've been thinking maybe I should try and write a script that will search through the artwork folders and compare what it finds there to the English ROMs that are left and move any that match. I'm not very good at writing scripts though.

Perhaps someone has a better suggestion? If not I guess I might just separate them manually. I mean you've already compiled everything into one nice and neat pile, how long could it possibly take to sort 700 titles?

Wish me luck.

No problem. That's what I'm sharing all this for.... cool.gif

Whenever I want to take things out of a set or a particular folder, I use my FTP program to make it easy. Now that you only have the English roms, go to your XBox folder for your SNES roms in one window and your videos in the second window. Just filter out all the matching names and then you can delete the rest of the videos easy.

Probably should put this tip in the main thread since I included the separate datfiles. Thanks for bringing it up.

Later,
~Rx

Hey madmab,

I figured out Boulder Dash, but I forgot to tell you. I've also got a ton of games to work right without a problem after giving them a chance and taking your suggestions. I'm about 2/3 through the compatibility list and I've got suggestions for controller fixes and I point out games where I don't have controller fixes in mind but there definately needs to be a fix (I'll leave some of them up to you). Also, when I decide that the AdamX sound engine works better I make note of it. There's also a few games that don't work for me at all and maybe you could try them and verify.

I'll probably finish it sometime tonight.

Here it is:
IPB Image

Let me know your thoughts and fixes and I'll update the list.

~Rx

Retroplay,

Thanks for the tip. Any idea on the easiest way I can do this so I can reupload a datfile that works for everyone?

~Rx

#47 Retroplay

Retroplay

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 13 September 2008 - 07:59 PM

QUOTE(ressurectionx @ Sep 13 2008, 08:30 PM) View Post

~Rx
Retroplay,

Thanks for the tip. Any idea on the easiest way I can do this so I can reupload a datfile that works for everyone?

~Rx

Fire up NSRT and point it to your roms folder.
IPB Image
Press CTRL + A to select all your roms and right click mouse and select remove headers from selected as shown in the picture.
Also make sure you deinterleave the roms (forgot to mention that).
Interleaved and headered roms is only useful if you wan't to run them on a SNES with backup unit.

#48 madmab

madmab

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 14 September 2008 - 07:47 AM

Wow. Looks like you've been a bit busy lately. laugh.gif

I'm guessing the Adamx I sent to you just had the mess and AdamX sound drivers right? Well at least the list gives me an idea of problematic games for the mess driver. I suspect it's volume levels are the issue but I'm still tinkering with that.

As far as controls go I never really could think up a decent way to create auto configs that would be feasible size wise, etc. It is something that could be handy, as you have found, in some emulators. Especially the Intellivision which is a mapping nightmare!!

Off the top of my head.

Joust was a prototype so it never had sound.
Mousetrap. I usually map the ABXY buttons to match the colors of the walls.
Poky's. I never figured that game out either.

Super Action Baseball. Should be complete. I know this uses the spinner so you have to select Speed Roller in the game options menu. I do remember the controls being rather awkward, though.

Turbo - Select driving module in game options. Should be playable then.
Tutankham - That's how the game is meant to play (It's an arcade translation).
Victory - Select driving module in game options.

I've been kinda spacy lately, for whatever reasons, so my apologies if I seem a bit unfocused. laugh.gif

#49 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 08:53 AM

Thanks retroplay. I'll try to get around to providing a fixed datfile soon.

madmab,

Yep. Been pretty busy here now that I'm back. Colecovision initial testing is complete. I will look into what you stated and update it accordingly.

When deciding the configurations, it may be easier for some of the games if you used the overlays as a guide. Are you planning on using overlays for this system as well for the games that have them?

Here's an overlay pack just in case:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OMS9293E

I think the saves are just fine for the config for games. Just include the saves with the pack on XBins and I'm sure people will figure it out.

~Rx

Oh... and yeah. There's just the two sound engines here. I know you mentioned 3 before, but I only had the choice of two.

Edited by ressurectionx, 14 September 2008 - 08:55 AM.

#50 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 10:26 AM

This might be too complicated a fix man, but I had an idea I thought I'd run by you. I'm trying to get the emulator to let me set up Aquattack so you can fire in every direction using one joystick and move back and forth with the other joystick.

This is the strange thing though. I can only get the directions UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT and UP-LEFT to work. The emu will not respond to UP-RIGHT, DOWN-LEFT or DOWN-RIGHT. (This is the same whether on the D-Pad or the Left stick). I also tried to put half the gun directions on one stick and half of them on the other. I could then get it to fire UP-RIGHT as well, but still can't get the ship to fire DOWN-LEFT or DOWN-Right

Basically, it would look like this on the control pad (Bolded numbers are the directions that work).

On the left analog stick:

On the right analog stick:

On the split stick setup these would work:

Any clues how to fix that so we can get good settings on a few of these games that would benefit from this?

~Rx

Edited by ressurectionx, 14 September 2008 - 10:28 AM.

#51 madmab

madmab

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 01:41 PM

biggrin.gif

Trying to think of an adequate way to explain this. It has to do with the odd way the emu handles multiple button/stick mappings and the emulated machine interprets it.

Basically trying to map diagonals on the analog stick does not work very well unless you happen to be mapping those values to emulated stick inputs. I've always found that I have to limit the analog to the four cardinal directions.

#52 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 01:51 PM

I figured that much. No way of fixing it, huh?

Got about 100 of the games fixed as far as controls go. Feel free to look at the list for the fixes. I'll upload the saves to megaupload when they're done though, so don't bother programming them yourself.

Later,
~Rx

Edited by ressurectionx, 14 September 2008 - 02:57 PM.

#53 madmab

madmab

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 04:12 PM

QUOTE(ressurectionx @ Sep 14 2008, 09:27 AM) View Post

I figured that much. No way of fixing it, huh?

Believe me I wish I could fix the issue but it ultimately is determined by how the original hardware functions.

#54 wrestlefever

wrestlefever

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 04:48 PM

First of all, thanks to everyone who worked on the ZsnexBox 3.5 Project. I successfully used FTP to transfer the items on my XBOX.

I have one question though, which is probably very simple. I know that I need to zip the .SMC files before they run correctly in the ROMCENTER Program. If I have a bunch of single files I need to zip, can I use WINZIP 12 and zip them as a group or do I need to zip them individually?

In addition to this, I found that the Marvel Game shows the previews without even running it though RomCenter (which is good as I believe the Cyclic Redundunary Check may be the same as the in the dat file which is provided on the 1st page of this post). However, I dont think any other previews will show until I run the zip files and match the names in the RomCenter Program.

#55 Retroplay

Retroplay

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 14 September 2008 - 05:05 PM

QUOTE(ressurectionx @ Sep 14 2008, 10:29 AM) View Post

Thanks retroplay. I'll try to get around to providing a fixed datfile soon.

No problen, people using your dat files of course needs to check their romset with NSRT too before rebuilding with your dat.

#56 wrestlefever

wrestlefever

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 06:59 PM

QUOTE(wrestlefever @ Sep 14 2008, 05:24 PM) View Post

First of all, thanks to everyone who worked on the ZsnexBox 3.5 Project. I successfully used FTP to transfer the items on my XBOX.

Please delete my previous posts.

I dont mean to spam. It looks lik I everything under control. The tutorial is great

Thanks and let me know if I can help with some previews in the future

#57 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 09:26 PM

I didn't think you were spamming wrestlefever. I use winrar to make the zips, actually. And I just use regular compression since any tighter compression a lot of times makes the rom not work for me. There's an option within winrar that allows you to zip up all of your roms individually. I believe it's on the 3rd tab in the options.

Hey madmab,

MAME has a very similar problem in some games that I've told it to do this through the source (Inferno comes to mind). What a bitch man. Seems like such a simple problem. At least not too many games are affected by it... just the one I mentioned in the previous post. I don't think there is a way to play that game good then unfortunately. Too many directions to shoot and no real good way to do it otherwise.

~Rx

#58 run088

run088

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts
  • Interests:rebuilding broken xboxes

Posted 17 September 2008 - 08:38 PM

I am very dissappointed in you after I been reading around the sites threads in the last couple months.This site is about sharing not extorting.I am equally dissappointed in the mods as well that allowed this to be pinned with such demands.

And if you ever wanted those features that your extorting for you are going the wrong way.In my mind anyone is a bitch that does it for you.And I lose respect for them as a person if they do.

I like the concept of having a sole set of datas that would work for everyone but the video extortion is uncalled for.Did the pioneers of the screenshots extort the scene to release them?Did xport extort the scene to release his emulators?I can go on for days.

With that being said I have backups of most of the repositorys stuff and I dont care to make it availible to everyone if someone tells me how to and the original authors of the work dont care.

I still love you but I got to say something if no one else does.I dont think it does the scene's image any justice and if this is acceptible behavior I dont know that I want to continue being a member.If you want to share then share if you want to extort do it on another web site.I believe if the mods ran a poll on what I just said then everyone would agree but your minions doing your bidding for you under force.To make matters worse your asking for something that may or maynot be able to be done.If you knew for a fact it could be done then why isn't it?If you say znes I will say apples and oranges.

#59 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 01:52 AM

Go ahead and leave then. I'm just doing what it takes to get things done, and it's working. It's not extortion.

If I hadn't renamed and tested about 10,000 roms for 12 different systems, you might have a point.

If I hadn't made boxart/cart/screenshots previews for a majority of those said 10,000 roms that work perfect for the emus by just plugging them right in, you might have a point.

If I hadn't labored at the compatibility lists, the testing of all the games or any notes of my fixes, you might have a point.

If I hadn't taken the 4 or so hours it took to just put this thread together, you might have a point.

I've put in over 2,000 hours of my life into my XBox, and you're damn right I'm going to get something in return for my time. And this will be the only time I justify what I'm doing.

Anybody who has actually helped me (meaning pretty much everyone but you so far) hasn't raised a single complaint about this and has done some excellent work. Where's your input?

The way I see it, you're acting like a little baby who isn't getting his way. Either show some initiative on your part, or shut your mouth and show some patience and respect. I certainly didn't put all this together to be spoken to by an ungreatful man-child.

Regards everyone. Sorry this had to come down, but it was bound to happen sooner or later.

~Rx

EDITED TO ADD: I don't like being like that man. You just got under my skin with that post is all. I'm willing to concede to you that I'm using what I have as leverage. The way I look at it though, this wouldn't be available to anyone if I didn't step up and do it.

Don't you think that sometimes I have reservations about sharing my entire work of the last 2 1/2 years with others who will have done nothing to get it? I've finally decided to let all of my work be released to everyone because there are far better things in life to enjoy than holing yourself up for hours a day and work on this. Hopefully, some other people won't have to put themselves through it when I release it.

So what? I don't want to make videos myself. It's not as if I'm not devoting as much time to this per week as I do my Paying job.

The way I see it, with how the scene could look a year from now, I think the videos are a small price to ask. And if I gave you all the videos that I've worked on now without getting the complete set first, I don't believe that you would stick around to see it out. Not knocking you at all, because I know me and that's what I would do if I wasn't so vested in the project like I am now. (Look around you, you're in good company. How many full sets of anything do you see?)

Hope you don't go, and I hope you keep contributing. I will put your contribution up in the next few days. Thanks for the work prepping the XPORT snes emu for when the update is made for it. It's nice that people won't have to do the artwork from scratch, or convert the ZSnesxbox artwork like you already did for everyone.

No hard feelings. I got them out of my system now.

Later,
~Rx

Edited by ressurectionx, 18 September 2008 - 03:07 AM.

#60 madmab

madmab

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 03:00 AM

blink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users