• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  • Interests:Nothing legal probably !
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 21 October 2009 - 01:38 AM

Its not a Genesis, mines a MegaDrive in the emulator. tongue.gif

Im actually starting again, reducing bitrates thus lowering file size. Not by much. Try to get HQ for under 8mb. Also dealing with the end credits better.
I did initially try @ 320 x 240 but found only a 5 - 10% reduction in file size. All depends on the birates of course. You could bash a 320x240 quite small. It does go to show that the first batch were very blurred though. Not knocking anyone. I suppose the collection had to be started but then the Genesis seems to have been overlooked for a bit. Checked the NES emulator again tonight. The videos and artwork are much better.
Im putting out my last draft of the skin for NES and then im finished with it as i dont even play those games. Im concentrating solely on Genesis/Megadrive.

PS. Much better video's than the standard Frank. Well done.

#1412 FrankMorris

FrankMorris

X-S Senior Member

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 21 October 2009 - 03:42 PM

I want redone all of these 320x240 vids (list below) at 320x224 without borders.
XMV filesizes will be max 10 MB. Average XMV will be about 8 MB.

There's lot of well-made stuff in the current vids too, which I don't want to meddle. Only these 320x240 is under my radar. smile.gif

Addams Family Values.wmv 256x224.
Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle.wmv 256x224.
Alien Storm.wmv 256x224 title screen.
Art Alive!.wmv DONE.
Atomic Runner.wmv DONE.
Bible Adventures.wmv 256x224.
Bill Walsh College Football.wmv DONE.
Brett Hull Hockey '95.wmv DONE.
Budokan - The Martial Spirit.wmv DONE.
Bulls vs Blazers and the NBA Playoffs.wmv DONE.
Caliber 50.wmv DONE.
Captain America & the Avengers.wmv 256x224.
College Football's National Champ II.wmv DONE.
CrossFire.wmv 256x224.
Deadly Moves.wmv 256x224.
Double Dragon II - The Revenge.wmv 256x224.
Fastest 1.wmv 256x224.
Fire Mustang.wmv 256x224.
Golden Axe III.wmv DONE.
HardBall!.wmv DONE.
Heavy Unit - Mega Drive Special.wmv 256x224.
Kick Off III - European Challenge.wmv 256x224. 8 px black borders left and right.
King of Fighters '98.wmv 256x224.
Mega Man - The Wily Wars.wmv 256x224.
Mega Swiv.wmv 256x224.
Misadventures of Flink.wmv DONE.
Monster World IV.wmv 256x224. 320x224 title screen.
Mortal Kombat V.wmv 256x224.
Mr Nutz.wmv 256x224.
New Zealand Story.wmv 256x224.
NFL '95.wmv DONE.
Olympic Summer Games - Atlanta '96.wmv DONE.
Ooze.wmv DONE.
Pac-Attack.wmv 256x224.
Pete Sampras Tennis '96.wmv
Smurfs I.wmv DONE. 256x224.
Smurfs II.wmv DONE. 256x224.
Snake Rattle 'n Roll.wmv 256x224.
Sonic Jam VI.wmv 256x224. 320x224 title screen.
Soul Blade.wmv 256x224.
Spiritual Warfare.wmv 256x224.
Spirou.wmv DONE. 256x224.
Splatterhouse II.wmv DONE.
Stormlord.wmv DONE.
Super Mario World.wmv 256x224.
Time Killers.wmv
Tintin in Tibet.wmv 256x224.
Top Fighter 2000 MK VIII.wmv 256x224.
Two Crude Dudes.wmv 256x224 title screen.
Wani Wani World.wmv 256x224.
Warrior of Rome II.wmv
Verytex.wmv DONE. 256x224.
World Cup USA '94.wmv
XDR - X-Dazedly-Ray.wmv 256x224.
Yogi Bear's Cartoon Capers.wmv 256x224.

256x224 screens (usually pirates/unlicensed/port) are centered to 320x224 letterbox to save original aspect ratio.
Otherwise circles won't be circles and so on..

Edited by FrankMorris, 24 October 2009 - 03:42 PM.

#1413 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,214 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 21 October 2009 - 03:54 PM

QUOTE(cbagy @ Oct 20 2009, 07:38 PM) View Post

I suppose the collection had to be started but then the Genesis seems to have been overlooked for a bit. Checked the NES emulator again tonight. The videos and artwork are much better.

Likely any videos that are sub-par are the ones that were collected from emu movies. I'm assuming you guys are looking at the more popular US/EU roms. The videos that were made by xbscene members (the oddballs or the better known games that were overlooked), are much better quality across the board. By the time we were working on completing the Genesis set, there was a pretty good standard we were following.

Anyways... thanks for cleaning this stuff up guys. This is why I wanted to hold off on a release on the big 3 (now 4) until after the new year. Give everyone some time to improve vids, get the HD artwork in all of them, add any games still missing and (hopefully) eliminate the need for any future updates.

~Rx

#1414 cbagy

cbagy

X-S Genius

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:35 PM

My current 640x480 vids are coming in at under 8mb, 7.5 - 8 average. Allowing an extra second or two for flashy titles brings them in @ 8.5 - 9 mb.

#1415 Likklebaer

Likklebaer

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,689 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 22 October 2009 - 12:26 AM

Ok so I finally got around to figuring out what this Xtra's project is all about. Kudos for all the work everyone involved has done, it's great to see so much enthusiasm for keeping the scene alive.

But there's one simple criticism I have that was enough to make me not touch any of this. The naming convention used for many games is horrible ('Super Mario Bros I'??). Wouldn't it have been better to have just used the existing No-Intro or Goodset names, even if you insisted on taking the info in ()'s off the end? I'm sure most users aren't serious enough about their ROM collections to care about such details. But for me it was a dealbreaker. At some point in the future I may try to use a program like FatMatch to do some serious renaming of all this. But until then I shall just wish you all luck with the project.

#1416 cbagy

cbagy

X-S Genius

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 01:21 AM

This is an issue i raised. I have all my roms, HQ video's and HQ Box Art named correctly. When i hand it over to the team i hope there will be a re-think.

#1417 cbagy

cbagy

X-S Genius

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 02:57 AM

neogenesis in HD mode 1280x720 (stretched 640x480 really)
with HQ artwork and 640x480 video previews. Videos 8.5 mb 30 seconds.
Excuse the piss poor camera work.

IPB Image

#1418 neil222

neil222

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 03:06 AM

Nice work cbagy! biggrin.gif

#1419 madmab

madmab

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 22 October 2009 - 06:45 AM

QUOTE(Likklebaer @ Oct 21 2009, 07:26 PM) View Post

Ok so I finally got around to figuring out what this Xtra's project is all about. Kudos for all the work everyone involved has done, it's great to see so much enthusiasm for keeping the scene alive.

But there's one simple criticism I have that was enough to make me not touch any of this. The naming convention used for many games is horrible ('Super Mario Bros I'??). Wouldn't it have been better to have just used the existing No-Intro or Goodset names, even if you insisted on taking the info in ()'s off the end? I'm sure most users aren't serious enough about their ROM collections to care about such details. But for me it was a dealbreaker. At some point in the future I may try to use a program like FatMatch to do some serious renaming of all this. But until then I shall just wish you all luck with the project.
It is unlikely that anyone would ever come to an agreement on how filenames are named. But I can tell you this much...

1) The alternate Goodset names for the Xbox suck.
2) There are no alternate 42 character names for no-intro..

#1420 Mega Man (?)

Mega Man (?)

X-S Genius

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 22 October 2009 - 07:10 AM

THANK, YOU... madmab...
Likklebaer:
Sure there are a couple of (I's) in there, but the names are the best they can be...
mabmab is right,
there is no 42 character names for no intro. And "no intro" roms still have all the crap at the ends
anyways...(U's and shit right?)

For this reason, These and especially "Goodset" names would be impossible. (don't even get me started on "Goodset" names... rolleyes.gif )

Are you familiar or aware of using dats in "roms center" This will set you up fine, and it is not too hard. (Follow the directions on the front page of this thread)

Frank
:
sorry man,
looks like some of those vids on the list were mine... sleep.gif
I wasn't aware of the proper sizes for these specific games...
If you re-do them, I am sure they will be great...

my only flaw in making the videos was
sometimes not getting proper resolutions from my programs and then having to crop them.

Cbagy: That skin is getting better and better all the time. smile.gif

Everyone:

and yes my friends... "Mega Drive" tongue.gif
Well, sorry little doggies... out west we call thems the "Genesis" Yeeeeee Haaaaaa... jester.gif

Edited by Mega Man (?), 22 October 2009 - 07:20 AM.

#1421 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 07:29 AM

I will not be renaming anything when this is done.. You will all be more than welcome to rename them yourselves. I've spent 4 years renaming stuff to fit the 42 character limit.

(EDIT: Every time you decide to change a rom name, you must make sure that you change the video and the screenshots on your Box and on your backup PC if you use one like I do. In my case, I also have to rename the WMV file as well since I'm keeping a perfect duplicate copy of all videos in WMV hoping that the madmab edition emus can be ported elsewhere like they've done with XBMC someday).

The "Super Mario Bros I" was used because if I didn't use that, the romlist would have shown the games as follows:

Super Mario Bros II
Super Mario Bros III
Super Mario Bros

-OR-

Super Mario Bros 2
Super Mario Bros 3
Super Mario Bros

Go ahead and try that out yourself.

Any videos/artwork that come my way will be renamed to what we have in the set already.

I've already pointed out that eventually the idea is to have the romlist display the full name used in the synopsis. This would allow for more than 42 characters and should render the romname obsolete anyhow.

EDIT: Madmab... you saved my life here cool.gif

If you guys didn't like those names, you would have liked the Gameboy and some others even worse.

For Gameboy Advance, I started the names "GBA - " and for Gameboy Color I used "GBC - ". The same for Game Gear "GG - ", SG-1000 "SG - " for Sega CD & TGCD "CD - " and 32x "32x - ".

I did this because oftentimes in the same emu there would be games with identical names for two different systems. Also, it keeps the screenshots and videos sorted by console within their folders.

The only problem with this was that I lost the ability to jump from one letter of the alphabet to the next (or previous) like you normally can because every game started with "GBA - ". Madmab just updated the emus so that it ignores these prefixes when viewing the romlist so the alphabetical still works.

Again, I hope to make the filename obsolete. MAME doesn't use them at all and still displays the full romname in other ways. My filenames are much better than MAME's since they're pretty usable on their own, so they'll still be nice to keep that way once this all progresses more.

Thanks again Madmab. Great fix!

Edited by ressurectionx, 22 October 2009 - 08:14 AM.

#1422 cbagy

cbagy

X-S Genius

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:58 AM

Agree with you there Rx, we can all call them what we like.
Mine ( roms , vids and artwork ) follow -

segagame.png
segagame.xmv
segagame.bin
segagame - 32x.bin
segagame - CD.iso (segagame - CD 02.mp3 etc)

segagame - CD.iso then makes it irrespective if it's SegaCD or MegaCD.
One label one description.

and i can live with -

Golden Axe II.bin
Golden Axe III.bin
Golden Axe.bin

If its neat, accurate and read-able, like a collection should be.
There may have to be 2 sets of dats, video's and artwork.
Now this is by no means a threat or me moaning.
It's just the way i see it panning out as more users
get switched on to the ResXtras.
Be prepared to explain this one a few more times yet.

@MM The skin is now more accurate as the video preview and artwork
preview dialogues have been rebuilt to a pixel perfect aspect ratio
based on my own findings. The black border problem with HQ video's
has been avoided / enhanced by the introduction of a different preview window.
That said the preview window still shows old style video's in perfect aspect, just bloated to fit.

#1423 madmab

madmab

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 22 October 2009 - 11:03 AM

Really if one wanted to, there are some tools over at no-intro that you can use too....

Gather the CRC's of all of your screenshot, box/cart-art, movie files and rename them to a CRC.
Rename your ROM files.
Create a .dat file of your ROM's with the CRC's in there.
Use that .dat file to rename the screenshot, box/cart-art, movie files back to the new name.

A little work but worth it for those who are fickle about ROM naming and don't mind "Super Mario Bros" being the last in the list, even though it was the first game made.

#1424 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 11:07 AM

I won't be explaining it to anyone much more. It will be in the instructions. From now until then, I will simply tell them "No, they will not be changed"

If you wanted to make separate datfiles, be my guest, but you're also going to have to rename every file for every game you rename and then upload and/or host them separately. Otherwise, you'd be giving people datfiles that will not match up with my naming conventions and you'd be expecting that they'd take the time to rename all of those by hand on their own like you did.

My way is better than your way. Some people may disagree, but I for one know that Super Mario Bros comes before Super Mario Bros 2, and that's how the games should be displayed. Aesthetically, it may not be as pleasing with the "I" there, but that is what the synopsis entries are for and emulators should all one day behave like MAME does now and display the full game name instead of what the file names are.

I don't know how many times I have to say this....

THE ROM NAME IS A PLACE HOLDER TO GET EVERYTHING TO MATCH UP.

In the end the idea is that you won't see the romname within the GUI.

Sorry for getting pissy, but your posts about this do come off threatening now and they're bullshit. I have much more important things to worry about and to work on still on this project other than petty whining about a file name.

#1425 Likklebaer

Likklebaer

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,689 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 22 October 2009 - 12:16 PM

QUOTE(madmab @ Oct 22 2009, 11:03 AM) View Post

A little work but worth it for those who are fickle about ROM naming and don't mind "Super Mario Bros" being the last in the list, even though it was the first game made.

You are right "Super Mario Bros." should come before "Super Mario Bros. 2", but alphabetically (nothing to do with when it was made). I don't know why the emulator lists it last, perhaps this is something that could be fixed in the list sorting rather than compensated for by the naming convention. Just a thought.

QUOTE(ressurectionx @ Oct 22 2009, 11:07 AM) View Post

Sorry for getting pissy, but your posts about this do come off threatening now and they're bullshit. I have much more important things to worry about and to work on still on this project other than petty whining about a file name.

Threatening? WTF is threatening? I just said I don't like your naming convention. If you read my whole post you'll find I was complimentary about the project as a whole. If you only wanted positive feedback perhaps you should have said so in the initial post.

I'm not saying I'm going to take the trouble to rename everything you've done to a different convention. But I will say that it wouldn't be as much of a problem as you're making it out to be. There are programs such as the one I mentioned in my last post specifically designed to rename artwork to match ROMs which I'm sure would cut down the time and work drastically. And there would be no re-uploading involved since one could simply build DATs that would rename the existing sets.

Edited by Likklebaer, 22 October 2009 - 12:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users