Photo

500 Gb Hdd Max Capacity Questions, Partitions, Enable Drive G?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Cyborg17

Cyborg17

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 10:11 PM

Hello everyone and thanks for reading. Finding this place was the best thing that happened to my gaming set up. Unfortunately although I've made great progress using the info on this site, I still consider myself a newb. So here are my questions:

I have a 500 GB HDD. It currently has one large partition of 465GB and several smaller partitions. In one folder alone I have 120GB of Xbox 1 games. What is the max capacity that I can fill my HDD before running into trouble? And are there any dangers to my set up? My Cousin recently overfilled his 300GB HDD (with 295GB of data) and he wound up corrupting the entire drive. (I plan on leaving at least 50GB free)

Second Question. I am using the UnleashX dashboard. While searching through my storage system options I found something that says "Enable Drive G." What is this option? And is this something I should consider doing?

Final Questions: While checking my system info I came across these 3 items:

-Spin Up Time (What is this and why is it important?)
-Seek Error Rate: Current: 45, Max:35
-Raw Read Error: Current: 119, Max: 100

What are these settings? How do they effect my machine? And should I be concerned that Seek Error Rate and Raw Read Error are higher than the listed max?

If you've read this far I thank you. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Edited by Cyborg17, 31 August 2008 - 10:14 PM.

#2 MiamiBiker305

MiamiBiker305

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 31 August 2008 - 10:28 PM

I Have a 300Gb And it's been Filled up to the Max with Xbox Games, I only Have less then 8GBs Left.
And I Haven't had a problem ever. It's Been Filled to the max like that for months, no problems at all.
And I Have a 500Gb Thats Not even Close to Being filled up But I Have Like 480GB For the F/Drive.
If you want to use the G Drive For anything then yeah Just Click Enable Drive G.

oh and leaving at least 50GB free, I Think is way to Much Room Left Untouched!
I Would say if you want to be safe Leave 10GB's Free. Not really necessary If you
ask me though since i once filled a 320GB and left only 5 gigs on it.
Lets see what others have to say. biggrin.gif

Edited by MiamiBiker305, 31 August 2008 - 10:36 PM.

#3 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,568 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 01 September 2008 - 01:46 AM

QUOTE(Cyborg17 @ Sep 1 2008, 05:47 AM) View Post
I have a 500 GB HDD. It currently has one large partition of 465GB and several smaller partitions. In one folder alone I have 120GB of Xbox 1 games. What is the max capacity that I can fill my HDD before running into trouble? And are there any dangers to my set up? My Cousin recently overfilled his 300GB HDD (with 295GB of data) and he wound up corrupting the entire drive. (I plan on leaving at least 50GB free)

This depends on how you formatted your F partition (the large one). Either you did it with 32kb clusters using XBPartitioner, or it'll all go kablewy when you get past the ~250gb mark.

Can't remember? Then you probably didn't do it that way. Copy all relevant data to another drive, then reformat just that partition using the latest version of XBPartitioner. After that, you can put as much data on it as you like with no issue.

E is the only partition which requires a certain level of free space. I recommend 100mb myself, but practically speaking you can probably go down to about 10mb or perhaps even less. Take it too low and your game discs won't load any more.

Second Question. I am using the UnleashX dashboard. While searching through my storage system options I found something that says "Enable Drive G." What is this option? And is this something I should consider doing?

Some people split their space between the F and the G partitions. This is just asking whether UnleashX should add G to the file manager display. No point in enabling this, as you don't have one.

On the other hand, using XBP you could split the space between these two partitions if you wanted to. If you kept the size of each below 256gb, then it'd use the default 16kb cluster size (as opposed to the larger, less efficient 32kb clusters required for having one big partition). Up to you.

-Spin Up Time (What is this and why is it important?)

The amount of time it takes for your HDD to spin up to a speed practical for reading/writing. The lower this figure is, the better.

-Seek Error Rate: Current: 45, Max:35
-Raw Read Error: Current: 119, Max: 100

The reliability of finding a certain area of the drive then of reading it. No idea if these stats are "bad". Do they reset on reboot? If so, you'd need to provide some indication of how long the system had been running for them to mean anything.

#4 Cyborg17

Cyborg17

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 02:15 AM

Holy cow MiamiBiker305 you must have one hell of a Xbox game collection. I'm glad to hear about your findings. Hopefully I will be able to follow in your footsteps. biggrin.gif I'd actually love to see an Xbox that is completely full of xb1 games.

QUOTE(Bomb Bloke @ Sep 1 2008, 02:22 AM) View Post

This depends on how you formatted your F partition (the large one). Either you did it with 32kb clusters using XBPartitioner, or it'll all go kablewy when you get past the ~250gb mark.

Can't remember? Then you probably didn't do it that way. Copy all relevant data to another drive, then reformat just that partition using the latest version of XBPartitioner. After that, you can put as much data on it as you like with no issue.

Bomb Bloke, thank you for writting such a helpful and informative post. I probably should have mentioned in my first post that I had a professional install and format my HDD. (He also did the TSOP flash). I just called him and he said that he is "99% certain" that he used 32kb clusters, as he had problems in the past with 16kb clusters and large HDDs.

Is there anyway I can confirm this information for myself? Possibly by checking something in my xbox or by using a FTP program?

QUOTE(Bomb Bloke @ Sep 1 2008, 02:22 AM) View Post

The reliability of finding a certain area of the drive then of reading it. No idea if these stats are "bad". Do they reset on reboot? If so, you'd need to provide some indication of how long the system had been running for them to mean anything.

Since last night the "Seek Error Rate" has increased to 46. Meanwhile the "Raw Read Error" has gone down to 112. At the time of my first post the Xbox had been on for several hours. As of writing this new post the Xbox has been powered on for at least 2 hours.

Edited by Cyborg17, 01 September 2008 - 02:31 AM.

#5 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • 6,568 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:51 AM

QUOTE(Cyborg17 @ Sep 1 2008, 09:51 AM) View Post
Is there anyway I can confirm this information for myself? Possibly by checking something in my xbox or by using a FTP program?

Some dashboards (EvoX I think?) can report how much free space you have down to the byte. Add a tiny file to your drive (say less then a kilobyte) and see how much free space you lose. That amount directly relates to the cluster size.

Assuming the dashboard figures are trustworthy. Past tests would indicate this isn't always the case.

If at all in doubt, backup what's on the partition now, then just randomly copy stuff onto the drive until you get up to about 280gb total. If the drive goes corrupt, reformat that partition and restore the backup; if it's still working fine, then you don't have a thing to worry about.

QUOTE(Cyborg17 @ Sep 1 2008, 09:51 AM) View Post
Since last night the "Seek Error Rate" has increased to 46. Meanwhile the "Raw Read Error" has gone down to 112. At the time of my first post the Xbox had been on for several hours. As of writing this new post the Xbox has been powered on for at least 2 hours.

A quick google would suggest this is within acceptable ranges, though I'm afraid I'm no expert.

#6 Cyborg17

Cyborg17

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 12:35 AM

QUOTE(Bomb Bloke @ Sep 1 2008, 09:27 AM) View Post

Some dashboards (EvoX I think?) can report how much free space you have down to the byte. Add a tiny file to your drive (say less then a kilobyte) and see how much free space you lose. That amount directly relates to the cluster size.

Assuming the dashboard figures are trustworthy. Past tests would indicate this isn't always the case.

I've conducted this test and here are my results. Maybe you can help me with the math?

Evox says the free space on my F Drive Partition is: 284.413.362.176

Then I add a 10 byte .txt file

Evox now says the free space on my F Drive Partition is: 284.413.329.408

That's a drop of 32.768.

Would this indicate a 32kb cluster size? The math seems close.

#7 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • 6,568 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 09:58 AM

Yes, that adds up (keeping in mind that 1kb = 1024b).

#8 saltine356

saltine356

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 08:29 AM

I'm not sure if this is related or not, but I have a 500GB HDD in my box. I used a Slayer's disc (don't remember what version but could find out) to partition and the F is probably 480GB. I have filled the F partition to almost exactly 300GB, but now I am having problems transferring files. When I try to ftp to my box the log indicates that they were transferred but when I go back to find them, there is nothing but an empty directory. Also, when I try to use dvd2xbox it appears to transfer files, but the overall progress bar never changes and the file size remaining does not change.
My question is, does this have something to do with the way my drive is partitioned? I don't seem to have that dreaded 250GB problem, but it seems almost like there is a something restricting anything that would push it over 300GB.
I've searched and searched and this is the closest topic I have found. Any suggestions you can give would be greatly appreciated along with your patience as I am kind of a newb.

#9 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • 6,568 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 12:18 PM

QUOTE(saltine356 @ Dec 2 2008, 04:05 PM) View Post
My question is, does this have something to do with the way my drive is partitioned? I don't seem to have that dreaded 250GB problem, but it seems almost like there is a something restricting anything that would push it over 300GB.

If you did not use XBP, then you have the cluster corruption issue. This is not a "happens sometimes" thing, you either use XBP on partitions that large or they stuff up. Period.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users