5 replies to this topic

#1 scrubca

scrubca

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 11:58 PM

Hello all,

Sorry I'm new to the Xbox-scene, and a total newbie at this.

I bought a modded Xbox off of Craigslist, and when you turn on the Xbox, it immediately says that it is updating on Xbox live.

Then the Xbox times out and has an error message:

"Xbox Live is not responding. Please Try again later."

The seller did warn me of this (but I figured since I wanted it for XBMC, I wasn't that worried about xbox live - thought the machine was just banned from xbox live), of course I thought that this was a result of playing a game or something. Didn't know that it was on loggin and I wouldn't be able to do anything about it. (I feel like a knoob, not one of my better moments). But he did say it was repaireble.

I've looked all over your site for the answer and I didn't find much. Does anyone have any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?

I believe its a softmod, because the case was never cracked. Even if I need to get rid of the softmod, I don't mind that. I'll resoft mod it, or get a mod chip installed,

Any ideas??? (once I get that entry screen, I can't do anything... ) .

#2 Sychophantom

Sychophantom

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 05 September 2008 - 06:09 AM

My guess, and I'm still new myself for the most part, is that it was softmodded and then someone tried to update the dashboard through a game like Halo, and it wiped part of the softmod out.

Best bet is probably to drop a game in and see what happens. If the game works, you can likely remove the bad softmod and install a new one.

#3 scrubca

scrubca

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 12:32 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, I tried in a few original games, and the same error message showed up.

Any other ideas?

#4 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,568 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 05 September 2008 - 01:32 PM

That's odd, I'd expect game discs to boot. But if that's not working then you're down to three options.

1) Hotswapping. The X-Box hard drive has a special lock on it that stops a PC from accessing it. By powering up the drive while it's attached to the console, then re-attaching it to a PC without powering it down, this can be circumvented. Slightly risky but it'll let you fix the dashboard (X-Box speak for "operating system"). The XBoxHDM link in my sig has some details on this.

2) Building an EEPROM reader (again, as per my sig). This would allow you to unlock the drive using just a PC, skipping most of the risks attached with hotswapping.

3) Installing a modchip. Mind you, if the reason the console isn't booting game discs is because the DVD drive is stuffed, things'll still be a little tricky with one of these things.

You'll likely need to obtain a copy of either Slayers, AID (Auto Installer Deluxe), or CASH 1.1 from the interwebz. These come with a bunch of handy-dandy files (such as a functional copy of the original Microsoft dashboard).

#5 scrubca

scrubca

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 03:31 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I'll take a look at the hotswaping option.

A couple of questions,

I don't need anything in that original hard drive, and I was thinking of swapping it out anyways (and since it sounds like the soft mod is pooched, I'd have to remod it anways). If I use XboxHDM to install the dashboard on a new hard drive, and just replace it, would that work? (does that take the risk of the hotswapping out?)
(sorry if its a dumb question, cause this may be what you were suggesting:)

Is there a limit to the size or type hard drive I can reinstall?

Thanks you guys are REALLY HELPFUL!! (i'll try it later on this week when I get a chance)

#6 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,568 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 07 September 2008 - 06:35 AM

The main problem you have is that drive lock I mentioned. See, without a modchip (or a TSOP flash, which is something that can be done once the system is softmodded), the box won't boot without a correctly locked drive.

Now, you can lock new drives to work with the system, but to do that you need the console's EEPROM data. You can either get that by repairing the current HDD and softmodding it correctly, or by building that EEPROM reader.

So you'll still need to go through one process or the other.

Note that not all drives are lockable. 99% of them are, mind you, so don't worry too much about that. There's another link in my thread on the subject. SATA has been known to work (badly) for just a lucky few, so IDE is recommended.

You'll want a 10gb+ drive (no real limit on the size, though there are special steps that need to be taken at certain threshold points). Really the bigger the better; But keep in mind XBMC lets you stream videos/music over your network (so you could store all your media on your PC if you like). On average, X-Box games are about 4gb each, add 8gb to that, and you'll have some idea as to the size you "need" to go for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users