17 replies to this topic

#1 qazw99

qazw99

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 12:50 PM

Ok so, here is what ive done:
I grabbed a second hand xbox, ripped out the HDD, hotswapped it and installed NDURE 3.1.
This works fine
I am trying to throw in a 40gig HDD, so i loaded up the ndure disk,chose option 1 ( create new from scratch ), and it partitioned then copied the files over from the ndure disk. I then locked the HDD using hddunlock ( option 4 at the first screen ). i then re-booted, and opened up unlockx to make sure it was locked. i used the key that unleashX provided in the system info screen ( i have triple-checked this ).

With the new HDD in it boots up, shows flubber - no msoft logo, then gives me an error 6 with multiple languages. The old HDD is still working and it boots up fine - so all is not lost ( yet ).

Any ideas as to how i can get this working?
i have a feeling unleashX might not be a reliable source for the key - i hope im wrong.

#2 qazw99

qazw99

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 01:04 PM

I forgot to mention the leds flash green ( half a second maybe ) then red. I also put the HDD back onto cable select.

#3 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 08 September 2008 - 01:59 PM

1. Unlock hdd first using the same password you obtained from unleashX.
2. Obtain eeprom.bin , follow instructions in my sig.
3. Remaster xboxhdm iso with eeprom.bin in the correct folder.
4. Lock with boot option 3 instead.

Ndure 3.1 has virtual eeprom feature which hides your true eeprom contents and unleashX thus reports the wrong password.

#4 qazw99

qazw99

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:24 PM

oh fun, im now having problems unlocking the new hdd ( which i locked with the veeprom pass ) - unlockx says drive wont unlock ( very useful error msg -.- ) , hdunlock seems to work ( unlockx reports it as set, but needs reboot ), but returns to locked once i reboot. atapw says command rejected.

#5 qazw99

qazw99

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:49 PM

evox also reports the same HDD key ( loading eeprom with liveinfo)

#6 steveo1978

steveo1978

Super Moderator

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:09 PM

look on your e: for a ndts folder if you have it use a file explorer to go in it and run the default.xbe it has an option to backup eeprom use that eeprom.bin andalso if you cant get the new hdd to unlock then do a search for "unlocking hdd with master password"

#7 qazw99

qazw99

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:32 PM

QUOTE(steveo1978 @ Sep 8 2008, 07:45 PM) View Post

look on your e: for a ndts folder if you have it use a file explorer to go in it and run the default.xbe it has an option to backup eeprom use that eeprom.bin andalso if you cant get the new hdd to unlock then do a search for "unlocking hdd with master password"

I thought it was impossible with unleashx?
where does the generated backup get saved?

#8 steveo1978

steveo1978

Super Moderator

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 08:01 PM

i think it gets saved in either E:backup or E:nkp11(may not be exactly right)

#9 qazw99

qazw99

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 08:17 PM

It was NKP11.
Ive now tried ConfigMagic, evox and unleashx backup eeproms, and they all report the same key.

It must be because i am running them as apps ( file explorer, opening the .xbe ) , and they are dumping the emulated eeprom.
But how can i run them otherwise? this is a softmod, not chipped.

#10 jakejm79

jakejm79

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 03:34 AM

You can try adding an EEPROM_off.bin file or similar name in the NKP11 folder, these names my not be exact but a quick search or read of the ndure instructions should explain all, this will disable the virtual EEPROM of your softmod.

#11 steveo1978

steveo1978

Super Moderator

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 05:41 AM

it may be just the hdd you are using try this use the stock hdd with the disk that has theeeprom on it and see if you can get it to unlock. I think that when you went into the ndts folder and run the default.xbe in it that should turn off the virtual eeprom if it was on. just make sure you lock it back and also have you looked into doing the tsop flash

#12 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,567 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 09 September 2008 - 07:56 AM

QUOTE("XBoxHDM Documentation")
* hdunlock, Only unlocks a HDD but doesn't disable locking. The drive will relock after reboot if you only run this tool.
* hdddisabl, Disables locking. To be used after hdunlock so that locking stays off after rebooting.

Though I think these particular tools give "positive" sounding results regardless of whether you get the passcode right.

Keep in mind that the "key" is NOT the code used to lock the drive with. The passcode is generated using the key taken from the console's EEPROM, and the serial number of the HDD itself. Hence the code will be different for each and every drive/X-Box combination.

The linux based "lockhd" tool is best for drive locking. Not only does it generate the passcode for you if you provide it with a copy of your EEPROM, but it also sets a "master" code on the drive so you can unlock it even if the EEPROM is somehow permanently lost in future.

#13 qazw99

qazw99

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 11:01 AM

QUOTE(jakejm79 @ Sep 9 2008, 04:10 AM) View Post

You can try adding an EEPROM_off.bin file or similar name in the NKP11 folder, these names my not be exact but a quick search or read of the ndure instructions should explain all, this will disable the virtual EEPROM of your softmod.

Are there any other ways to do this?
Ive tried that file in NKP11, root of E:\, and root of C:\

and all three tools still report the same eeprom & keys.

#14 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 09 September 2008 - 02:46 PM

At which stage is the process failing? Unlocking so that you can relock or locking so that xbox can boot without error 6? If you cannot unlock, it means there was a typo in the password or bug in the locking tool - all which are known risks for using the hdd password directly. Recommended way is to use the linux locking tool which avoids the need to use hdd password directly since it is generated from the eeprom.bin.

#15 qazw99

qazw99

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 03:35 PM

Thank you for all of the replies on this, you've all been extremely helpful so far

QUOTE(ldotsfan @ Sep 9 2008, 03:22 PM) View Post

At which stage is the process failing? Unlocking so that you can relock or locking so that xbox can boot without error 6? If you cannot unlock, it means there was a typo in the password or bug in the locking tool - all which are known risks for using the hdd password directly. Recommended way is to use the linux locking tool which avoids the need to use hdd password directly since it is generated from the eeprom.bin.

I cannot unlock the xbox HDD - i use hdunlock ( the linux toolset ) and it searches through /dev/hda-z , then errors saying it cannot find the disk.

My eeprom is in /eeprom/eeprom.bin

I think it may be because unleashx / configmagic / evox could be dumping me a virtual eeprom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users