• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:11 PM

Interview with Phil Spencer - new head of Microsoft Game Studios
Posted by XanTium | September 8 13:11 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From oxm.co.uk:

* You've got the Halo franchise, and you've got GOW 2... do you think you need to develop any new kind of hardcore gaming franchises? Obviously you've got Lips and you've got You're In The Movies, do you have any other kind of new platform exclusive hardcore titles coming? Do you think that's important?
* I think it's very important, and the next game I'm shipping is a core brand new IP franchise. The amount of new IP that we've brought to the market on the 360, it's one of the things I'm proud of. Gears for me is an interesting case study. Two years ago, nobody had played a game like that, played a version of Gears of War. Now, people kind of talk about it as a franchise that's been around forever, as if it's an old IP or an old franchise, which I think is the strength of that brand that's been built.
Our history to date on our platform; Crackdown, Gears of War, Too Human, games that really want to focus on the core, I think our track record speaks for itself there and it can continue to be part of Microsoft Game Studios.

* So you will have new exclusive IPs coming?
* Absolutely, absolutely.

* What will you do differently to Shane Kim for Microsoft Game Studios?
* The evolution of the platform for me opens up interesting opportunities for us content creators. The new Xbox experience that we announced on Monday, Live continuing to grow, the majority of our Live customers being gold customers, allows us to push beyond just retail games, which we've already done with DLC and different experiences, with people continuing to buy maps or whatever we deliver... but stepping back and really thinking about that connecting gamers and the entertainment experiences that we can bring.
The primetime stuff that we showed, that we announced at the briefing was a great example of that, of a new gaming experience, of this idea of programming certain timeslots, and certain experiences like the one vs. 100 game, not just for that but for all types of games, creating interesting opportunities.

Full Story: oxm.co.uk

#2 Marrvia

Marrvia

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 296 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 08 September 2008 - 11:28 PM

Who's the idiot conducting the interview? He thinks Lips and You're in the Movies are "Hardcore" titles?

#3 Wilhelm_I

Wilhelm_I

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • Interests:Fixing n modding 360s<br />Playing online with my clan<br />Having fun with my mates<br />Coding stuff...
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 08 September 2008 - 11:55 PM

Didnt like any of the games they made.
Binned Gears after 3 minutes of gameplay but this is just me I guess, I hate 3rd person shooters...
Never got Crackdown was just not interested in it and never heard of their other titles.
Maybe they will come up with something good in the future, lets see,,,

#4 dokworm

dokworm

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 01:32 AM

QUOTE(Marrvia @ Sep 9 2008, 12:04 AM) View Post

Who's the idiot conducting the interview? He thinks Lips and You're in the Movies are "Hardcore" titles?

What kind of idiot is reading the interview? tongue.gif

Seriously the interviewer does not think lips and in the movies are hardcore, they are mentioned as in 'you obviously have other types of exclusives coming to the 360, but what *new* hardcore games are coming that aren't sequels.'

I keep wondering what it is that Bungie was going to announce.

The xbox/360 doesn't have too bad a record of new IP, It brought us Halo as well. I played GOW for more than 3 minutes, didn't like it at first as I have an aversion to 3rd person games, but persevered and it grew on me and I had a lot of fun with it. was a bit repetitive but did bring something new to the shooter category.
Crackdown I didn't play until recently, had no interest at all, but a friend accidentally left in in my bag when returning some of my games he borrowed. Gave it a whirl and it was the same, thought it was crap at first but turned out to be a lot of fun, and also added something new to the way games are played. My 8yr old kid loves Viva Pinata, would like to have a few more game she could play. I personally would like to see more games like Bioshock, not necessarily as in an FPS, but big story games, that aren't brown.

#5 gsharpshooter

gsharpshooter

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 367 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 09 September 2008 - 01:44 AM

BRING BACK PETER MOORE FTW biggrin.gif

#6 Marrvia

Marrvia

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 296 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 09 September 2008 - 04:59 AM

QUOTE(dokworm @ Sep 8 2008, 06:08 PM) View Post

What kind of idiot is reading the interview? tongue.gif

You maybe? You're interpreting what you think he is thinking, but that is not what is said. The sentence is totally worded in a way that calls Lips and You're at the Movies "hardcore" games. He uses Lips and You're at the Movies as examples of games, and immediately asks if "other" new hardcore games are coming. Otherwise, why would he even bring those games up?

The right to say it would be.. "So you have games like Lips and You're at the Movies coming out, but do you have any new exclusive hardcore games coming?" If he had just thrown a "but" in there, and left out the "other", it would have made all the difference.

Edited by Marrvia, 09 September 2008 - 05:04 AM.

#7 dokworm

dokworm

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 01:43 PM

QUOTE(Marrvia @ Sep 9 2008, 05:35 AM) View Post

You maybe? You're interpreting what you think he is thinking, but that is not what is said. The sentence is totally worded in a way that calls Lips and You're at the Movies "hardcore" games. He uses Lips and You're at the Movies as examples of games, and immediately asks if "other" new hardcore games are coming. Otherwise, why would he even bring those games up?

The right to say it would be.. "So you have games like Lips and You're at the Movies coming out, but do you have any new exclusive hardcore games coming?" If he had just thrown a "but" in there, and left out the "other", it would have made all the difference.

Sigh, I guess I am just tired of people on forums pretending to not understand what someone was actually trying to say, or people in general. I don't know, it just seems lately that everyone enjoys being pedantic, or assuming someone is an idiot rather than giving them the benefit of the doubt (my comment had the silly face to try and say I wasn't actually calling you an idiot, but was making a joke and a point at the same time)

I, like everyone on the planet have to interperate what people say. there is no way to be completely sure of the meaning of any sentence.

It is obvious when reading the interview that the interviewer does not think lips is hardcore, he mentions lips along with the avatars later in the interview. I took his comment 'do you have any other *kind* of platform exclusives' to mean that the two new IPs out of the blocks were not hardcore titles, and was asking if there were in fact any new hardcore IPs coming. I thought it was obvious. I thought that anyone reading the interview would see that, even if perhaps you could read the wording a different way.
It really doesn't matter, it is just a bugbear of mine lately.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users