Juvenal1228

X-S X-perience

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:20 PM

subtitle is my question, but to go into more detail on that one, if all data is just 1's and 0's (on a CD and HDD) then if you just did a byte for byte copy of an xbox DVD then wouldn't it be exactly the same as the original? so if it was how would the DVD drive know to tell that the media is not original, same with the HDD too. i have also heard that PS2 DVD's have "bad sectors" to authenticate but couldn't you just do a byte for byte again because that will keep the bad sectors bad

#2 ItchyB

ItchyB

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 09 September 2008 - 05:24 AM

Original games are pressed not burnt so the media type is different for a new and copied game, No burning program will copy a bad sector it will skip it wether it is byte for byte or not.

#3 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,568 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 09 September 2008 - 07:12 AM

Ever put a retail disc in your PC? It thinks it's a video disc.

Put it in the X-Box and all you see are the actual data files. The current process involved in making backups is to transfer those files to your PC, convert them to a FATX ISO, then burn that to disc.

But of course now you're missing those video files that were present on the original. Put the backup in your computer and it won't read it at all.

Who knows what else is missing from backup discs? Not me... But it doesn't take much imagination to suggest that there's something relevant to copy protection.

#4 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 09 September 2008 - 03:03 PM

FAQ section.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users