Photo

Can Anyone Give Me A Straight Answer On This?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jo2

Jo2

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 06:47 AM

Would a 256mb memory card be sufficient for JUST playing Halo 3 on LIVE? I keep gettin different answers from different people. Some say its fine for LIVE, some say if you wanna do any campaign you need more space, some say you can play campaign and its enough space to save everything, some say its all fine but if you wanna download any more maps offline for Halo LIVE then you need extra space. I'm confused, is an Xbox 360 Arcade Console gonna be sufficient for just playing Halo 3 online, maybe some campaign too but mainly just online play.

BTW, sorry if this is a stupid question, I just don't know too much about the Xbox limitations...haven't bought a system since the first day of the N64.

#2 o The Drizzle o

o The Drizzle o

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 420 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 11 September 2008 - 07:00 AM

no.
thats not enough space for the downloadable maps which you need for matchmaking.
so to recap.
no. a 256mb is not enough.

#3 Jo2

Jo2

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 07:05 AM

QUOTE(o The Drizzle o @ Sep 11 2008, 01:36 AM) View Post

no.
thats not enough space for the downloadable maps which you need for matchmaking.
so to recap.
no. a 256mb is not enough.

Alright I'll snag a cheap 20gb hard drive off ebay then to go with it.

#4 scuba156

scuba156

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:00 AM

a 256mb memory card will be completely sufficient. your user profile will be very small, under 1mb if you only plan to use it for halo 3 (as gamerscore and the acheivement list/played games are added to the profile, the size will increase. i have a gamerscore of ~27,000 and have played around 70 games, my profile is still only 11mb). halo 3 game saves will only be somewhere between 1mb to 10mb total per profile. so if its only you playing it, thats only a maximum of 10mb storage used. playing halo3 online will only use an extra few mb for the patch. so thats only a total of a minimum 3mb used, with a maximum of 22mb, per player, used to play halo 3.

the only thing it will not be sufficient for is the optional official downloadable maps for online play. the maps are not needed to play halo3 online, and only offer a few extra levels for you to play online or offline multiplayer. there is the Cold Storage map, which is a single map available for download that is 116mb which should fit on the memory card just fine, but apart from that you cant really download anything.

so the choice is yours, and whether you wish to use the completly optional downloadable maps or not. also note that the downloadable maps will cost you extra, and if your not willing to pay a little extra then you have no need to worry. so while its absoluetly fine to use a memory card for halo 3, your only limitation will be the extra downloadable content

Edited by scuba156, 11 September 2008 - 08:02 AM.

#5 Jo2

Jo2

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:20 AM

Thanks for the detailed response. Maybe ill just put off the hard drive for a few weeks then. At best it would be 2 people playing on it, and i'm not paying extra for maps, i'd just play on whatever they give you for free. When I go to my friends house we just play the same 5 or 6 levels you start with over and over, what he said was if you beat Halo on the harder levels than you get more maps, and then you can download maps but they cost more...he was just guessing at all this though, is that how it works?

#6 o The Drizzle o

o The Drizzle o

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 420 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 13 September 2008 - 01:51 AM

the only maps you currently have to pay for are the legendary map pack... the heroic and cold storage maps are free.
most ranked playlists require you to have the maps to play. you dont get anything for playing on hard levels... you dont get any maps that way, just unlock more campaign levels if you hadnt already beaten them. the maps you have to pay for are the legendary ones, theyre 600 points so about $7.50

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users