• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 12 September 2008 - 01:57 AM

NPD August: 360 195.2K, PS3 185.4K, Wii 453.0K
Posted by XanTium | September 11 20:57 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From gamasutra.com:

The North American video game industry grew only 9 percent year-over-year in August, according to NPD, showing slowed growth compared to recent months, but software sales were strong with the release of EA's Madden NFL 09 and continued first-party Nintendo success.

As usual, Nintendo DS and Wii took the top hardware slots respectively. Xbox 360 jumped ahead of PlayStation 3, but both were beat out by PSP. All hardware systems saw their sales decrease from July.

Per-unit sales are as follows:
Nintendo DS - 518.3K
Wii - 453.0K
PlayStation Portable - 253.0K
Xbox 360 - 195.2K
PlayStation 3 - 185.4K
Playstation 2 - 144.1K

Full Story: gamasutra.com

#2 Dark Seraph

Dark Seraph

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 12 September 2008 - 03:05 AM

How is the 360 still not leading the market in sales. Ill never understand.

#3 Ranger72

Ranger72

MOD GOD

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,805 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 12 September 2008 - 03:10 AM

QUOTE(Dark Seraph @ Sep 12 2008, 03:41 AM) View Post

How is the 360 still not leading the market in sales. Ill never understand.

It may have something to do with the PS3 being more future proof. The 360 is starting to show its age and is on the inevitable down turn that all consoles go through.

Fact is that more and more HDTV's are being sold at lower and lower costs. People want and need true HD content and the PS3 deliveres this.

I love my 360 but even at $199 it still does not equal the value you get with a PS3.

#4 tester123

tester123

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 03:24 AM

These are August numbers, the Xbox price drop didn't happen until September 5th. Wait until Septembers numbers to see how the price cut affects sales.

#5 Zod5000

Zod5000

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 03:39 AM

QUOTE(Ranger72 @ Sep 12 2008, 03:46 AM) View Post

It may have something to do with the PS3 being more future proof. The 360 is starting to show its age and is on the inevitable down turn that all consoles go through.

Fact is that more and more HDTV's are being sold at lower and lower costs. People want and need true HD content and the PS3 deliveres this.

I love my 360 but even at $199 it still does not equal the value you get with a PS3.

Xbox has more/better games. But PS3 included everything. Hard drive (which you can upgrade with any other laptop hard drive), bluray, built-in wireless, free recharging built into the controllers.

If you actually wanted all that stuff, even excluding bluray, i think it'd make the 360 cost more than a ps3?

That being said, the wii appeals to a whole audience the 360/ps3 can't reach, and thats how their blowing out units. The hard part for Nintendo will be to appeal to the same audience in the next gen.

#6 spinr34

spinr34

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 12 September 2008 - 03:50 AM

you guys can argue all you want about why 360/ps3 sales are low but, i think the real question here is, who is buying all of those damn PSPs? I think Sony gives people money on the low and tells them to go buy their hardware because seriously, the PSP should be dead by now.

#7 chorizo1

chorizo1

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,883 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 03:51 AM

People already have 360's (it was first to the market at a cost of a billion $ remember?) that's why they don't sell as much.

#8 pepe2004

pepe2004

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 05:12 AM

I'm starting to think than nintendo made an agreement with kellogs in the USA. They sell so many consoles, I mean, okey, the wii and the ds are great, but, what does people play in those consoles?

#9 Jagosix

Jagosix

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 341 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 12 September 2008 - 06:41 AM

QUOTE(Zod5000 @ Sep 12 2008, 03:15 AM) View Post

Xbox has more/better games. But PS3 included everything. Hard drive (which you can upgrade with any other laptop hard drive), bluray, built-in wireless, free recharging built into the controllers.

If you actually wanted all that stuff, even excluding bluray, i think it'd make the 360 cost more than a ps3?

That being said, the wii appeals to a whole audience the 360/ps3 can't reach, and thats how their blowing out units. The hard part for Nintendo will be to appeal to the same audience in the next gen.

Hello Fellow Gamers. Well.. we all know that the September price drop will have an effect on the hardware sales for x360. Since the price drop you can actually get all that stuff (excluding blu-ray for cheaper than PS3). Now if you think that Blu-ray is the ONLY way to watch a Hi-def Movies, Tv shows, Anime..etc. then you're sadly mistaken. There are other means of watching Hi-def videos on the X360.

I commend Microsoft for bringing the x360 to the market. It's great to see an American product do as good as it's doing now.

#10 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 10:24 AM

QUOTE(Jagosix @ Sep 12 2008, 07:17 AM) View Post

Now if you think that Blu-ray is the ONLY way to watch a Hi-def Movies, Tv shows, Anime..etc. then you're sadly mistaken. There are other means of watching Hi-def videos on the X360.

It is at present the only LEGAL way. Don't think the illegal methods count as a feature. (obviously an add on HD-DVD counts)

QUOTE(spinr34 @ Sep 12 2008, 04:26 AM) View Post

you guys can argue all you want about why 360/ps3 sales are low but, i think the real question here is, who is buying all of those damn PSPs? I think Sony gives people money on the low and tells them to go buy their hardware because seriously, the PSP should be dead by now.

Never mind that. Who keeps buying PS2s. It seems it;s never going to go out of fashion.

Sales on everything will be slow at present. The price cut will sell some more 360s. It's an easy tactic to raise sales, but people will get used to the new price and start demanding lower prices.
I am surprised Sony has not cut price yet.

Edited by Chancer, 12 September 2008 - 10:25 AM.

#11 ishtar

ishtar

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 11:33 AM

I personally can't understand why they even put that wii in the catagory i've seen the games and they suck the graphics are horrible , I have the game cube and the graphics look just as good my xbox 1 has better graphics and my 360 has awesome graphics .

#12 scuba156

scuba156

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 12 September 2008 - 02:12 PM

I personally can't understand why they even put that wii in the catagory i've seen the games and they suck the graphics are horrible , I have the game cube and the graphics look just as good my xbox 1 has better graphics and my 360 has awesome graphics .

graphics arn't everything, many consoles in the past as well as other multimedia devices have proved this. betamax vs VHS is a prime example. the fact that many people still use MAME/NES/whatever emulators, is more proof that game play overrules graphics.

It is at present the only LEGAL way. Don't think the illegal methods count as a feature. (obviously an add on HD-DVD counts)

not exactly, its quite possible. you can backup a blu-ray disc to your PC, encode it into whatever and then play it on the 360. i think a better way to say it would be that there is no easy and user friendly way of playing HD movies (apart from HD DVD but there is no new content for it) on the 360 like simply popping in the retail disc and watching it

#13 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 02:57 PM

not exactly, its quite possible. you can backup a blu-ray disc to your PC,

HeHe you are correct of course, but really can you see someone who has a BR drive in the PC buys BR movies, but to watch them on large screen , would rip them to the PC HDD and stream them or whatever via the 360. there is going to be quality loss as well. It's not going to happen. If their PC was hooked to the Tv they wouldn't need to rip the original in the first place.
I can't count HD playback of outsourced rips as a HD playback feature to compare with an optical player. A lot of people wouldn't know how to do that anyway smile.gif

Edited by Chancer, 12 September 2008 - 02:59 PM.

#14 chronno

chronno

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:Xbox, Xbox, Xbox, XBox

Posted 12 September 2008 - 03:11 PM

QUOTE(scuba156 @ Sep 12 2008, 02:48 PM) View Post

graphics arn't everything, many consoles in the past as well as other multimedia devices have proved this. betamax vs VHS is a prime example. the fact that many people still use MAME/NES/whatever emulators, is more proof that game play overrules graphics.

I agree completely but I think that's just telling of current gamers where graphics are the only selling point. I know so called gamers who will not buy some games because the look "crappy"

QUOTE(scuba156 @ Sep 12 2008, 02:48 PM) View Post

not exactly, its quite possible. you can backup a blu-ray disc to your PC, encode it into whatever and then play it on the 360. i think a better way to say it would be that there is no easy and user friendly way of playing HD movies (apart from HD DVD but there is no new content for it) on the 360 like simply popping in the retail disc and watching it

That would involve getting around the DRM and it is illegal in the US to do that. (Thank you F@#$ing DMCA)

#15 Jagosix

Jagosix

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 05:56 PM

QUOTE(Chancer @ Sep 12 2008, 02:33 PM) View Post

HeHe you are correct of course, but really can you see someone who has a BR drive in the PC buys BR movies, but to watch them on large screen , would rip them to the PC HDD and stream them or whatever via the 360. there is going to be quality loss as well. It's not going to happen. If their PC was hooked to the Tv they wouldn't need to rip the original in the first place.
I can't count HD playback of outsourced rips as a HD playback feature to compare with an optical player. A lot of people wouldn't know how to do that anyway smile.gif

HFG. Again Blu-ray isn't the only method of watching Hi-def videos. What's up with you guys blink.gif ? You always think the worst of me Chancer. I have Hi-def satellite system. Some shows range from 720p - 1080p. Also Pcs have a Hi-def sat-tv card that can do the same thing. The hi-def sat dvr allows me to stream via network to any device including x360. Not to mention the PC can also record and stream hi-def video (without Blu-ray). Blu-ray is just a media format for STORAGE. Just like a hard drive or usb flash drive etc.....It's the data on the disc that's important.

So why would there be loss of quality? The only way there could be loss of quality is if you tried to convert the video over to another type of format. Btw, blu-ray movies can also be rented from the video stores just like normal DvDs. No need to be stuck with a movie purchase any longer. Just rent it or watch it on Hi-def Sat system.

Technology is always changing. Don't think for a moment that Blu-ray is the be all to end all for Hi-def. It may be the standard for now, but there will always be something better to come along & put it to shame. Example.. there are Hi-Def Tvs coming that dwarfs 1080p resolution.

http://www.techradar...finition-460015

There are more links, but hey you all know how to use google. wink.gif

Edited by Jagosix, 12 September 2008 - 06:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users