7 replies to this topic

#1 toolwerx

toolwerx

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 08:36 AM

ok, i'm not a newbie, but i know its not technical. I've searched the forums, but the info i need is garbled and i want a straight answer. i work for a corporate IT consulting company and hack a background in original xbox, fta receivers, and dish reverse engineering.

I just bought an xbox (the price drop justified it) and i have a couple of quick questions im hoping someone can answer in a sentence or two......

I ended up with a 360 manufactured in 9-5-08 with a hitachi drive....i heard from a friend that this is the drive to have for a no modchip solution...correct? Or are there different revisions of it?

also, i have and old school ide computer. do i need sata on the motherboard? if yes, is a modchip my only solution.

Thank You for the read and hopefully the response

regards

-toolwerx

#2 toolwerx

toolwerx

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 08:59 AM

i realized that my grammar is a way off due to quite a few brewskies and a long day. I tried to edit to no avail. I hope this doesnt deter someone form responding.....

#3 Martinchris23

Martinchris23

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 13 September 2008 - 09:27 AM

All Hitachi's can now be flashed, but some are easier to flash than others.

A 360 manufactured in May 08 will most definitely have a v79 drive in there, meaning you'll need a SATA chipset, a copy of the modified Slax 2.1 distribution and the special v79 disc / instructions here.

If you've never flashed a drive before, don't make this the first one you do - kill the drive before retrieving the DVD key and you'll need a completely new 360.

#4 toolwerx

toolwerx

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 09:46 AM

i appreciate the response. a friend of mine did it back in the day before the patch or date you say ms changed the usual process. would you say its a huge change?

better yet, would you do it? is the chance of bricking it come down to wrong syntax in linux. i know its not a black and white question, just need someones personal opinion. bricking it would suck.......

i see from the link what it does. thanks. that is all i needed.

#5 Martinchris23

Martinchris23

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 11:02 AM

The Slax 2.1 distro is only used to get the drive into ModeB - it's a custom version specially designed for the purpose. Once it's in ModeB, all functions are carried out in Windows.

#6 Ranger72

Ranger72

MOD GOD

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,807 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 03:50 PM

Are you sure you have a Hitachi? I find it very odd that a console manufactured on 9-5-08 would have a Hitachi and not a BenQ or LiteOn.

Look up Textbook 360 for a great tutorial.

Read everything through as many times as you need until you feel confertable.

If even after that you are too scared of bricking your 360 then maybe it would be best not to mod your console at all. Remember there is always a risk making something do what it was never meant to do. This is a VERY small risk but to some that risk is just too high. If that is a case for you then it best not to take the risk.

Edited by Ranger72, 13 September 2008 - 03:51 PM.

#7 toolwerx

toolwerx

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 10:44 PM

im sure its a hitachi drive by the dvd drive. It is possible it might have a more mod friendly version being that i bought it off ebay and the drive might have gone bad and replaced with another.

Just to clear it up, once dissasembled the label on the drive will let me know what im up against, right? as far as which hitachi it is.

#8 Ranger72

Ranger72

MOD GOD

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,807 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 02:14 AM

Yes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users