X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:argueing for the sake of arguement alone
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 14 September 2008 - 11:17 PM

i have a friend that is having a tough time wading through all of the receivers out there. i dont know much about them but thought I would ask to see if anyone has any advice.

criteria:
under $1200

upscale 480i/480P/720p/1080i to 1080P at push everything out through the hdmi output in 1080P
room is already wired for 7.1 surround sound.

heres what they want to connect:
gamecube -> svideo
N64 -> composite
playstation -> composite
xbox -> component w/ optical
wii -> component
xbox360 -> hdmi
PS3 -> hdmi (they dont have this yet but have told me they want to get it in the near future)
blueray player -> hdmi
dish tuner -> hdmi
PC -> hdmi

Not sure if this matters or not, but they want to make sure that this tuner wont interfere with the 3d technology built into their samsung TV. apparently they are already doing 3d movies in blueray? im not sure, but this is something that they want to make sure about.

nice extras:
they only need one zone, but have indicated that if they had 2 zones they would probably use it

they primarily use this for gaming and watching movies. TV everyonce in a while.

ones they are looking at:
Onkyo TX-SR875

is that a good one? Is there a better fit for them? Should they wait a year?

thanks in advanced.

edit added+++
they realize that with the onkyo model they will need an hdmi switcher as well.

Edited by damam, 14 September 2008 - 11:21 PM.

#2 spyvie

spyvie

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 20 September 2008 - 12:17 AM

I've been using an 805 for about 9 months now and am very pleased with it so far. I would say that the 875 is a quality unit as well and should do what they want. Also, They don't need a HDMI switcher if they plug the dish tuner into the television and use the tv's optical out to the receiver. That way you also have the option of watching tv without the receiver powered up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users