• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 methusa

methusa

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 12:13 PM

could somebody tell me how to remove the analogue sticks or point me in the right direction for a tutorial.

need to know correct reisistor ratings, solder points and the best way to get them of please.

#2 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,792 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 22 September 2008 - 04:40 PM

Correct Resistor ratings? The only way to remove them is to desolder them, you could rip them off the board if ya wanted to, but that's not going to leave the stick or board in any kind of usable shape afterwards. There are 14 solder joints per stick that need the be desoldered to remove it, and they're right under the stick. Ya don't really need a tutorial for something like that, and if ya do then ya need to practice on something else before laying the iron on your controller and messing it up.

#3 dadapimp_99

dadapimp_99

X-S Young Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 22 September 2008 - 11:04 PM

for the right analog stick just simply desolder all of the points circled in red.

IPB Image

the left stick requires desoldering the rocker arm of the left trigger. to do this just desolder the 3 solder points circled in red and then unclip the 2 points that are circled in blue then the trigger mount is out of the way.. with that out of the way just desolder the left analog stick the exact same way you did the right stick.

IPB Image

sorry for not having a picture for the left stick solder points but i really dont feel like heating up my iron and taking off the trigger to show you. but you shouldnt have any problems.

#4 methusa

methusa

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 11:06 PM

thanks for the reply. maybe i should hace been clearer, i'm making an arcade stick and have taken the information from your duplicate button tutorial to a friend who can solder. i am just trying to gather as much information as possible to make his life easier.

i would like to know about the analogue sticks as i have seen whilst reading around that they also need resistors to "centre" them like the triggers if they are to be removed.

anyway cheers for replying.

@dadapimp cheers for the pics should be helpfull, could you tell me wether resistors are needed or not?

Edited by methusa, 22 September 2008 - 11:08 PM.

#5 dadapimp_99

dadapimp_99

X-S Young Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 02:44 AM

to be honest the easiest way i did it was to cut the thumb pad from the analog stick then i found an arcade stick that was hollow on the end then i just dremel sanded the hole in the end of the arcade stick to fit snug over the nub left after cutting the thumb pad off... dropped some glue in the acrade stick then pushed it onto the nub.. i thought it worked at very well. its already been sold or i would take pics and let you check it out... i even painted an entire pac-man level onto the top of the 360 controller. LOL

im sure thats prolly not what you were looking for but thats how i did it hope this helps out!!!

#6 morinzo

morinzo

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 02:57 AM

im doing the samething, and i would like to know where the resistors go on the sticks, allready got triggers done.

#7 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,792 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 04:13 AM

The POTs on the Sticks are 10k, and you'll need 2 Resistors per POT to replace it. Ya can use any value from 4.7k up really, so long as ya keep the values the same for both Resistors. I use 10k, just easier to get a hold of.

GND-10k-Wiper-10k-Voltage

IPB Image

An alternative to replacing the Stick with Resistors is to leave the POTs installed, remove the rest, and lock them off in the center position with some hot glue or something. This may also need to be done if after installing the Resistors ya notice it 'drifts' to one side or the other, some controllers are just really picky on those Analog lines or ya may need to try another set of Resistors as the tolerance of them may be off enough to cause it to drift.

#8 morinzo

morinzo

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 05:01 AM

to remove thumb sticks, i use a product called Chip-Quik heres a link

IPB Image

watch video in the link below for a example of chip-quik

http://www.curiousin...ore/product/102

if you have a business you can get a free sample here

http://www.chipquikinc.com/free.html

Edited by morinzo, 23 September 2008 - 05:05 AM.

#9 morinzo

morinzo

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 10:59 PM

what exactly do we hot glue on the stock pot? im tight for room, if i have to can i install factory pots with wires, and it be ok??

Edited by morinzo, 23 September 2008 - 11:00 PM.

#10 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,792 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 12:48 AM

QUOTE(morinzo @ Sep 23 2008, 04:35 PM) View Post

what exactly do we hot glue on the stock pot? im tight for room, if i have to can i install factory pots with wires, and it be ok??

If you need that much room then Resistors take up less space than leaving the POTs on the board. If ya leave the POTs installed just glue them in the center position so they can't move.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users