red_ring_of_box

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 02 October 2008 - 11:31 PM

I think I may have found the global Doom3 map initialization code(in encrypted form) while exploring the ftped .gob files for the doom3 maps. Everything is the same in code until a certain point at 314 KB into the GOB file where the code will then start to differ after what I believe the call for the function to end is called called ENBL.

The code will start to get different right after the line:

IPB Image
IPB Image

the code is no longer the same making me believe that this and up was indeed the initialization code in the .gob files to test this out I gathered 3 .gob files from the doom3 game on my xbox ftped them over and viewed their files using wordpad. To my surprise I found the exact same line of code in all 3 of the .GOB files and when I select the select line and all the way up on 3 individual files and saved the copied material as 3 comparable text files they where all both the same size 314 KB!!!

IPB Image
IPB Image

Based on this I think I've found out 3 things now about the doom3 incypted code. It was a good encryption but it still shows how the functions can be called out if you look carefully you can see multiple instances of the same code in the encyption like at the start it says:

IPB Image
IPB Image

and at the end where the code ends it seems to be terminated by the block ENBL as stated earlier, also anyone viewing the code will see that right after the code

IPB Image
IPB Image

there will be a new function starter line similar to the one at the top of the .GOB file.

SO to theoretically start a new function in Doom3 .gob files you would use:

STBLzxRk0?G

//functionstuff

ENBL

So if anything I'd say I made at least advances the bare min of the knowledge for Doom3 modding I just thought I'd share this with the community.

also the links in the pics lead to the imageshack uploader if your curious as too why there are links there

#2 grimdoomer

grimdoomer

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 09 October 2008 - 06:56 PM

Ok first off, there not encrypted. Second you cant view files like this with notepad.

The way you view any file is in hex, it displays the numbers and any ASCII in the file. Get hex workshop and open this file up. STBL stands for StartBlock, its the header of the file.

Also there is no code in these files, they are archives like zip or rar. I know this because I've hacked the game before.

The GOB files contain all the files for that map, textures, models, sounds etc. Each file is compressed starting with STBL(start block) and ending with ENBL(end block).

The GCF is a list of offsets, sizes and paths with CRCs to files in the GOB.

If you want more info hit me up on AIM - xXplayerificXx

#3 red_ring_of_box

red_ring_of_box

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 09 October 2008 - 10:46 PM

oh alright man I really am not that educated on the .GOB file format though thanks man for helping me out with this just thought I'd share what I though I'd find with the community but I guess I was wrong on a few things in spite of the research I tried to find on the file. lol thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users