Photo

Can You Install 'freenas' Onto The Xbox ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Trebz

Trebz

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Interests:___
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 06 October 2008 - 01:42 PM

All

As per topic.

Turn the Xbox into a NAS server?

www.freenas.org

??

#2 Trebz

Trebz

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Interests:___
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 11 July 2009 - 10:23 PM

Hehe

I guess that due to the lack of feedback that this is a big NOOOOOOO !!!!

Hehehehe

Im still wanting to have an Xbox as a file server though, any suggestions guys / gals

All im wanting is a very basic set up. Say a 500GIG HDD with a folder on it called 'Media', drop all my movies into it and have my Slimbox in the living room access the files over my network....

??

Edited by Trebz, 11 July 2009 - 10:27 PM.

#3 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 12 July 2009 - 03:30 AM

bc54 did some nas related work and freenas is based on FreeBSD and here's a post for freebsd on xbox but I'm not certain if the freenas has some requirements on FreeBSD(version and packages) and other hardware requirements which may not be met by the xbox.

Edited by ldotsfan, 12 July 2009 - 03:33 AM.

#4 bc54

bc54

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 12 July 2009 - 06:46 AM

yeah, you can easily make your xbox a nas, but the problem i have is that it has basicly no security (password protected, etc.)

also, when i wrote that mini-tut, the guy was supposed to post back outlining the first-run of gentoox, but it never happened and i forgot. basicly, during this first run, it asks you what services you want on startup, and one of the services you can autostart is samba. thus acheiving a nas. i cant remember perfectly, but once your done with the first run, gentoox reboots, and when you launch gentoox again, samba will auto start.

then you configure samba, it really easy, if you didnt enable xfce (command line only), just run nano /etc/samba/smb.conf (as root/super user of course), or if you did enable xfce (so you have a desktop environment), just open /etc/samba/smb.conf with the text editor. now, exactly what you put in smb.conf depends on your install.

LINUX ONLY... (AKA NATIVE)
if you have a linux only install, just basicly make a folder somewhere named "Media" on the hard drive (in this example it is at /home/username/Media), and add this to your smb.conf:
CODE
[Media]
path = /home/username/Media
browsable = yes
public = yes
writable = yes

XBOX + LINUX (AKA FATX AKA GAMESAVE AKA LOOPBACK INSTALL)
now, if you want a xbox + linux nas (can still play xbox games), then your gonna have to make a folder on your F/G drive called Media that you want to share. then your gonna have to add/change some lines in the "/etc/fstab". first, make the folder /mnt/Fdrive (or whatever you want to call it). then, as root/super user, open up /etc/fstab. make sure this line is in it:
CODE
/dev/hda55 /mnt/Fdrive fatx defaults,rw,user,umask=0000 0 0
***make those spaces into tabs
of course, if you want to use the g drive, change "/dev/hda55" to "/dev/hda56" and change "/mnt/Fdrive" to "/mnt/Gdrive".
then you need to edit your /etc/samba/smb.conf. make sure it has this:
CODE
[Media]
  path = /mnt/Fdrive/Media
  browsable = yes
  public = yes
  writable = yes

of course, your also gonna have to specifically set up other stuff, but if you have done samba configuration before its easy.

then reboot, and you will have a NAS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users