11 replies to this topic

#1 raptor18

raptor18

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 09:58 AM

Hey all.

This is the second time i fix the E74 GPU error.
However after the first time (and also today), the xbox360 fans got really noisy (spinning fast).
What could the reason be? What is heating up so much?

Should i do the X-clamp fix with the CPU too? It doesn't seem as i've had problems with the CPU. Never gotten any CPU errors. Errors i've had are E74, overheating (two flashing lights to overheat and solve soldier problems), and 0200 which was due to too much paste or bad pressure on GPU.

I'm really annoyed by MS's engineering, i can't believe the consumers are better engineers than MS!

Raptor

#2 grillo2k3

grillo2k3

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Interests:ATV'S<br />GAMES<br />MOVIES
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 07 October 2008 - 06:59 PM

Double check the thermal paste again there is a good chance that the Heat Sink is not making good contact if by any chance you added shims ala wilhelm the shims may be too think.
oh forgot if the cpu is good dont mess with it.

Edited by grillo2k3, 07 October 2008 - 07:00 PM.

#3 Shonk

Shonk

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 07 October 2008 - 11:27 PM

Check the plastic things under the xclamps
that put the pressure on the clamps

i suspect you melted them a bit
so they arnt putting enough pressure on the cpu in the middle

replace them and it should spin slow

#4 Wilhelm_I

Wilhelm_I

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • Interests:Fixing n modding 360s<br />Playing online with my clan<br />Having fun with my mates<br />Coding stuff...
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 08 October 2008 - 01:09 AM

QUOTE(Shonk @ Oct 8 2008, 01:03 AM) View Post

Check the plastic things under the xclamps
that put the pressure on the clamps

i suspect you melted them a bit
so they arnt putting enough pressure on the cpu in the middle
replace them and it should spin slow

Nope doubt that.

@the op:
Do X-Clamp Fix on CPU and GPU and clean the chip dies and heatsinks properly until there is nothing left on it at all(use alcohol).
Then apply an ultra thin layer of thermal compound, the thinner the better, you have to apply thermal compound of the size of a half rice grain not more...
When you applied it correctly you should be able to see the xbox 360 logos through the thermal compound because when the layer is as thin as it should be the thermal compound becomes slightly transparent.
After that there should be no more heat problems

#5 Shonk

Shonk

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 08 October 2008 - 02:20 AM

well i fixed a mates that was doing the same
after a rrod fix by him

and it was the plastic things melted
i replaced the melted one and it was fine

its worth checking

there's no point doing the xclamp replacment unless its needed

my friend left the cpu xclamp on when he heat gunned it
causing a slight melt of the bit under the xclamp

if you left the cpu xclamp on when doing the gpu
its that for sure

Edited by Shonk, 08 October 2008 - 02:23 AM.

#6 raptor18

raptor18

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 07:54 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone.

However, i haven't done the fix a la wilhelm, maybe i should do it biggrin.gif .
And i will recheck the compound, however, i'm aware you shouldn't apply to much compound.

Edit: Maybe i should do the shroud fix?

Regards
Raptor

Edited by raptor18, 08 October 2008 - 07:55 AM.

#7 Wilhelm_I

Wilhelm_I

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • Interests:Fixing n modding 360s<br />Playing online with my clan<br />Having fun with my mates<br />Coding stuff...
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 08 October 2008 - 09:35 AM

QUOTE(Shonk @ Oct 8 2008, 03:56 AM) View Post

well i fixed a mates that was doing the same
after a rrod fix by him

and it was the plastic things melted
i replaced the melted one and it was fine

its worth checking

there's no point doing the xclamp replacment unless its needed
my friend left the cpu xclamp on when he heat gunned it
causing a slight melt of the bit under the xclamp
if you left the cpu xclamp on when doing the gpu
its that for sure

Yep but first you should never leave the heatsink attached while heatgunning because this doesnt reflow it and if it does the GPU will be pressed flatly onto the mainboard and the solder balls will short out.
This guy only overheated his 360...
And replacing both is always better because it will remove unnecessary tension, it will be flexing two times as much in the area between like that because the x-clamps flex the board into the opposite direction...

QUOTE(raptor18 @ Oct 8 2008, 09:30 AM) View Post

Thanks for the replies everyone.

However, i haven't done the fix a la wilhelm, maybe i should do it biggrin.gif .
And i will recheck the compound, however, i'm aware you shouldn't apply to much compound.

Edit: Maybe i should do the shroud fix?

Regards
Raptor

The fan shroud mod is recommended it is easy to do and reduces temps by about 3-5C
You should also do the 12V or 9V mod(if you cant stand the noise) this will bring you another 7-10C

Edited by Wilhelm_I, 08 October 2008 - 09:36 AM.

#8 jjbig

jjbig

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 08 October 2008 - 10:29 PM

QUOTE(raptor18 @ Oct 7 2008, 10:34 AM) View Post
I'm really annoyed by MS's engineering, i can't believe the consumers are better engineers than MS!

M$ never engineered the 360. They are a software company, not a hardware company. They leased the work out to another company to design. Obviously though M$ had the last say on how it's made.

For all we know M$ had nothing to do with it, and its all down to the development company/team.

On the other hand the team that engineered it may well have done a cracking job with cooling, and then M$ turned round and said it was too expensive and they wanted a cheaper method (more likely).

#9 brandogg

brandogg

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,091 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 08 October 2008 - 10:48 PM

QUOTE(jjbig @ Oct 8 2008, 06:05 PM) View Post

M$ never engineered the 360. They are a software company, not a hardware company. They leased the work out to another company to design. Obviously though M$ had the last say on how it's made.

For all we know M$ had nothing to do with it, and its all down to the development company/team.

On the other hand the team that engineered it may well have done a cracking job with cooling, and then M$ turned round and said it was too expensive and they wanted a cheaper method (more likely).

Microsoft didn't just call up AMD and say "make us a game console". They are in the hardware business (ever heard of the Zune?) as well as the software business. If you pop open your 360 you'll find many Microsoft's logo on several components. The 360, as well as the original XBox, were designed by Microsoft.

#10 jjbig

jjbig

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 08 October 2008 - 11:24 PM

QUOTE(brandogg @ Oct 8 2008, 11:24 PM) View Post

Microsoft didn't just call up AMD and say "make us a game console". They are in the hardware business (ever heard of the Zune?) as well as the software business. If you pop open your 360 you'll find many Microsoft's logo on several components. The 360, as well as the original XBox, were designed by Microsoft.

Just because it has an M$ logo on it don't mean they made it! The PS2 CPU was a joint venture between Toshiba & $ony. However Toshiba's name is no-where to be seen!

M$ dont design or develope any hardware in house! Its all hired out to third party companies then M$ stick their logo's on it because they foot the bill and have the right to do it.

What has Zune got to do with anything? It's in the same boat as the 360, it was dsigned and developed by a third party, not in-house!

Ever seen that program American Chopper? They build bikes, but they dont build the engine from scartch, they order it in ready made. However at the end they have their company name all over the bike and the manufacturer of the carb, exhast, engine, etc is no-where to be seen!

Excact same happens here, M$ pay for it, and get 3rd party companies to make stuff for them, but in the end it's M$ who have their company logo's all over the 360!

Think about it, the CPU and GPU say Micro$oft & XBOX on them, but we all know the CPU & GPU was not made by M$! Also, same goes for PS3, the RSX was made by NVIDIA, but the PS3 chip says SCEI on it!

Edited by jjbig, 08 October 2008 - 11:27 PM.

#11 brandogg

brandogg

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,091 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 09 October 2008 - 04:16 AM

I understand that, but Microsoft designed the system. I'm not saying the system is built in a "Microsoft factory", but Microsoft has been in the hardware business for years. They've made everything from he Sidewinder controller to the wireless keyboard I'm typing with right now, to the Zune, to the XBox 360. Nintendo doesn't build the Wii either, but it is their own hardware that they designed. What I'm saying is, the companies (AMD, Samsung, Toshiba, etc) that make the components for the 360 didn't throw a motherboard, CPU, GPU, etc together and pitch it to Microsoft.

#12 raptor18

raptor18

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 07:56 AM

So i did the wilhelm fix on the GPU only (+12v fan mod). Then the xbox started up but froze. So i did the fix on the CPU too.
However, after i did it, and started the xbox i got 2 blinks IMMEDIATLEY.
What could it be? Does the CPU overheat that fast?

I use

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users