• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 l337 Soul

l337 Soul

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 12:30 PM

bassically i recently bought this 2nd hand console and im trying to figure out whats going on with it. it allways has the little line up the top of the screen tested on 3 tvs and always shows and it occurs during bootup or any dash that i use.

i tried a new av cable didnt help.

the xbox is chipped with x2 executer i belive

any ideas?

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

cheers

edit: very sorry just realized i have posted this in the wrong section. ill report myself and hopefully get it moved hehe thanks

Edited by l337 Soul, 09 October 2008 - 12:50 PM.

#2 Tidyboy89

Tidyboy89

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 07:06 PM

QUOTE(l337 Soul @ Oct 9 2008, 02:06 PM) View Post

bassically i recently bought this 2nd hand console and im trying to figure out whats going on with it. it allways has the little line up the top of the screen tested on 3 tvs and always shows and it occurs during bootup or any dash that i use.

i tried a new av cable didnt help.

the xbox is chipped with x2 executer i belive

any ideas?

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

cheers

edit: very sorry just realized i have posted this in the wrong section. ill report myself and hopefully get it moved hehe thanks

Check the soldering points of the executor, if tsop nevermind..
Check motherboard for damage, and video-connector + cable. post result pop.gif

#3 l337 Soul

l337 Soul

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 11:54 AM

checked video cable and stuff and its a chip duox2 or something i fond out cant check the solder points as im not that confident opening an xbox up yet lol just recently bought this premoded and trying to get in contact with the seller for support just thought maybe someone may have seen this before and had some idea but its kinda confusing i think u might be right tho maybe a solderd wire came loose in post or something.

cheers

#4 Tidyboy89

Tidyboy89

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 12:49 AM

QUOTE(l337 Soul @ Oct 10 2008, 01:30 PM) View Post

checked video cable and stuff and its a chip duox2 or something i fond out cant check the solder points as im not that confident opening an xbox up yet lol just recently bought this premoded and trying to get in contact with the seller for support just thought maybe someone may have seen this before and had some idea but its kinda confusing i think u might be right tho maybe a solderd wire came loose in post or something.

cheers

Yes contact him. If you could take some picture's of the innstallation i and others could look at it.. From both sides of motherboard, it really is'nt that hard work.. you can't mess anything up by doing it biggrin.gif
I bet a loose connection is your problem right there.. Proably the pin header.. the D0 i somehow doubt as the box boots.. could be but doubt.. biggrin.gif

#5 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 11 October 2008 - 01:24 AM

This looks more like an overscan settings problem......

How exactly is the Xbox connected to the TV?

#6 l337 Soul

l337 Soul

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 01:30 AM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Oct 11 2008, 12:00 PM) View Post

This looks more like an overscan settings problem......

How exactly is the Xbox connected to the TV?

For the pics taken its hooked up to a VCR via Original Xbox AV Cable with my googleing i did read up a lil on overscan but with xbmc i was able to move the screen to in settings and it made no difference. also the line is there all the time from as soon as the xbox displays

thanks for the help when i get home i will try and get some decent pics of the modchip and solderpoint see if that can help identify the problem

cheers

#7 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 01:43 AM

It's unlikely to be a chip soldering problem.

Yes, from the pictures I'd guessed that you were connecting via the VCR. My money is on the VCR re-encoding or retiming the signal and putting all of the original signal from the Xbox (including the sync / noise in the overscan area) into the visible area on your screen.

Try connecting the Xbox directly to the TV, and the problem should go away.

#8 l337 Soul

l337 Soul

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 02:03 AM

ok i will try this shortly when i get home

thanks for your help Heimdall, Tidyboy89

#9 Tidyboy89

Tidyboy89

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 02:28 AM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Oct 11 2008, 03:19 AM) View Post

It's unlikely to be a chip soldering problem.

Yes, from the pictures I'd guessed that you were connecting via the VCR. My money is on the VCR re-encoding or retiming the signal and putting all of the original signal from the Xbox (including the sync / noise in the overscan area) into the visible area on your screen.

Try connecting the Xbox directly to the TV, and the problem should go away.

Booting up with the modchip of will probably show us.. it should boot in off-mode if you power it up with the Eject button (by default...)

#10 l337 Soul

l337 Soul

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 05:11 AM

turns out it was the vcrs i tested on 2 tvs thru vcrs cause theyre old tvs and dont have av input so i just connect the rf to vcr and vcr to tv then use the vcrs av inputs to allow me to use av appliances. for some reason my ps2 doesnt have this effect but my xbox does is there anything i can do to my xbox or vcr to fix this?

i just checked ebay for a rf output for xbox so as a last resort i might get one of them.

cheers

#11 Tidyboy89

Tidyboy89

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 08:20 AM

QUOTE(l337 Soul @ Oct 11 2008, 06:47 AM) View Post

turns out it was the vcrs i tested on 2 tvs thru vcrs cause theyre old tvs and dont have av input so i just connect the rf to vcr and vcr to tv then use the vcrs av inputs to allow me to use av appliances. for some reason my ps2 doesnt have this effect but my xbox does is there anything i can do to my xbox or vcr to fix this?

i just checked ebay for a rf output for xbox so as a last resort i might get one of them.

cheers

You could try a RGB cable, but i would rather go on with a RF box from ebay.. You know, you could also use a VGA cable official from microsoft to use your computer monitor/lcd............ recommended over all RF solutions as RF is really fucked up... cool.gif

#12 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 01:05 PM

I doubt that there's anything you can do to your Xbox - the video chip will almost certainly always output overscan lines at the top and bottom of the screen, but even if you could change that you'd have to fiddle with register settings in the chip to effect the change. In any case, I suspect that's what XBMC is doing, and as you saw that made no difference, because some of the overscan lines always remain.

It would be worth checking the manual for the VCR, and trying all of the menu options on the VCR to see if any of them have an effect. Unlikely, but worth ten minutes fiddling before you spend any more money on a solution that might be no better. It would also be worth trying a different VCR - I've never seen a VCR do what yours is doing to that extreme extent.

While an external RF solution should reduce or get rid of the overscan problem better than your VCR there's no guarantee - and as Tidyboy89 suggests the output quality with RF modulation is rarely better than average. If your Xbox is a 1.5 or earlier and you have a computer monitor then the VGA solution might be a better option - you need a VGA BIOS, an external cable (DIY instructions here, or buy one like this) and a monitor that supports Sync on Green. If you can get it to work it will certainly be better quality.

Edited by Heimdall, 11 October 2008 - 01:06 PM.

#13 Tidyboy89

Tidyboy89

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 02:14 PM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Oct 11 2008, 02:41 PM) View Post

I doubt that there's anything you can do to your Xbox - the video chip will almost certainly always output overscan lines at the top and bottom of the screen, but even if you could change that you'd have to fiddle with register settings in the chip to effect the change. In any case, I suspect that's what XBMC is doing, and as you saw that made no difference, because some of the overscan lines always remain.

It would be worth checking the manual for the VCR, and trying all of the menu options on the VCR to see if any of them have an effect. Unlikely, but worth ten minutes fiddling before you spend any more money on a solution that might be no better. It would also be worth trying a different VCR - I've never seen a VCR do what yours is doing to that extreme extent.

While an external RF solution should reduce or get rid of the overscan problem better than your VCR there's no guarantee - and as Tidyboy89 suggests the output quality with RF modulation is rarely better than average. If your Xbox is a 1.5 or earlier and you have a computer monitor then the VGA solution might be a better option - you need a VGA BIOS, an external cable (DIY instructions here, or buy one like this) and a monitor that supports Sync on Green. If you can get it to work it will certainly be better quality.

Lool.. automaticly thought of the 360 as my mind was elsewhere... indeed, heimdall is extremely right biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users