• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Starfishland

Starfishland

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 03:11 PM

Okay, I got my Xbox used about 3 months ago, and it had a two month warranty, and the warranty for Microsoft was already out. So what happened was, I could hear the sounds from the 360, but I couldn't see anything...so I looked here for a way to fix it, and it directed me to the 3rlod method. I looked somewhere else and they also had my problem and the 3rlod fix should work or help.

So I did the fix, everything went well, but after doing the test at the end where it goes from 3 red lights, to 2, then you leave it for a few minutes, my 360 wouldn't work. I waited a day or 2 for it to cool down, and it still isn't working. So I opened it back up, tightened the screw, that didn't work, and then loosened a bit, but it didn't work. I tried pushing down on the heatpads (I think thats what they're called) but that didn't work. Now I am getting the green light for a few seconds, then 3 red lights, for about 10 seconds, then the fans go into hyper-overdrive mode, where they go REALLY fast, then I get 2 red lights, and the fans turn off. It stays at 2 lights. But sometimes It goes straight from green to 2 red lights, and the fans go from a medium speed to off, and it overheats...

What should I do? i spent $240 on it used, and I've only had it for 3 months. Does anyone know what to do? I can't seem to find this problem anywhere.

P.S, I can't seem to get the error code, I hold the sync-up button and then press the DVD drive button, but nothing happens.

#2 Wilhelm_I

Wilhelm_I

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • Interests:Fixing n modding 360s<br />Playing online with my clan<br />Having fun with my mates<br />Coding stuff...
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 11 October 2008 - 07:42 PM

QUOTE(Starfishland @ Oct 11 2008, 04:47 PM) View Post

Okay, I got my Xbox used about 3 months ago, and it had a two month warranty, and the warranty for Microsoft was already out. So what happened was, I could hear the sounds from the 360, but I couldn't see anything...so I looked here for a way to fix it, and it directed me to the 3rlod method. I looked somewhere else and they also had my problem and the 3rlod fix should work or help.

So I did the fix, everything went well, but after doing the test at the end where it goes from 3 red lights, to 2, then you leave it for a few minutes, my 360 wouldn't work. I waited a day or 2 for it to cool down, and it still isn't working. So I opened it back up, tightened the screw, that didn't work, and then loosened a bit, but it didn't work. I tried pushing down on the heatpads (I think thats what they're called) but that didn't work. Now I am getting the green light for a few seconds, then 3 red lights, for about 10 seconds, then the fans go into hyper-overdrive mode, where they go REALLY fast, then I get 2 red lights, and the fans turn off. It stays at 2 lights. But sometimes It goes straight from green to 2 red lights, and the fans go from a medium speed to off, and it overheats...

What should I do? i spent $240 on it used, and I've only had it for 3 months. Does anyone know what to do? I can't seem to find this problem anywhere.

P.S, I can't seem to get the error code, I hold the sync-up button and then press the DVD drive button, but nothing happens.

Take the heatsinks off and make sure that there is an imprint of thermal compound on it if not this is the reason why it is overheating, also give some more details, which method did you use, how many washers, how throrughly you cleaned the chips with what(alcohol?), which thermal compound , how much of it etc...

#3 Starfishland

Starfishland

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 08:21 PM

QUOTE(Wilhelm_I @ Oct 11 2008, 08:18 PM) View Post

Take the heatsinks off and make sure that there is an imprint of thermal compound on it if not this is the reason why it is overheating, also give some more details, which method did you use, how many washers, how throrughly you cleaned the chips with what(alcohol?), which thermal compound , how much of it etc...

Yes there is thermal compund. I don't know the brand, but I got it from Home Depot in a small tube. I used lawdag's method, with 16 of each washer, I cleaned the chips as good as I could with rubbing alcohol and a q-tip, I think. The middles were shiny but the rest I didn't get off. Should I take off the thermal compund I put on this time and clean it more thoroughly?

#4 edenmills

edenmills

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 09:59 PM

Iím new player in gaming world. Thatís why I donít know enough about gaming. I would like to know that, is there any discount on XboX 360 in my local area. Iím from New York.

Crystal Meth

#5 jjbig

jjbig

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 12 October 2008 - 01:55 PM

You might have put too much thermal paste on the chips! If you put too much on then instead of acting as a thermal conductor and taking heat from the chip to the heatsink it acts like a thermal insulator and prevents the heat being transfered to the heatsink.

Open up the 360, take off the heatsinks, clean off ALL (and I do mean ALL) the thermal paste from the chips AND the heatsinks. Then apply a very FINE layer of new thermal paste onto the chip. Enough to cover them nice and evenly, but not too much!

Edited by jjbig, 12 October 2008 - 01:55 PM.

#6 Wilhelm_I

Wilhelm_I

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • Interests:Fixing n modding 360s<br />Playing online with my clan<br />Having fun with my mates<br />Coding stuff...

Posted 12 October 2008 - 07:49 PM

Do what ij said, make it really ultra thin, the thinner the better, in the end the stuff should be so thin that it becomes trasparent and you can slightly see the logo through it...
If this still doesnt do it get some MX2 or AS5...

#7 Starfishland

Starfishland

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 01:30 AM

QUOTE(jjbig @ Oct 12 2008, 02:31 PM) View Post

You might have put too much thermal paste on the chips! If you put too much on then instead of acting as a thermal conductor and taking heat from the chip to the heatsink it acts like a thermal insulator and prevents the heat being transfered to the heatsink.

Open up the 360, take off the heatsinks, clean off ALL (and I do mean ALL) the thermal paste from the chips AND the heatsinks. Then apply a very FINE layer of new thermal paste onto the chip. Enough to cover them nice and evenly, but not too much!

This didn't work. I put a very thin layer on, but it goes from the green light for a few seconds straight to the 2 red lights... anymore suggestions? btw what is MX2 and AS5?

#8 Starfishland

Starfishland

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 04:11 AM

Okay, so I put the fan shroud (or whatever it's called) on over the fan, because I haven't had it on the whole time and read that it helps with the cooling. So basically, it works fine for about 5-10 seconds, then the fan goes extremely fast, then the 2 red lights show up, and the fan shuts off. Is the fan borken? Or does the fan shut off when the red lights come up? I don't know what to do...

P.S. Sorry for the double post, but I don't see an edit button anywhere...

#9 Starfishland

Starfishland

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 05:27 PM

Bumo

Anyone, should I adjust the heatsinks, I might have applied the thermal compund unevenly.

#10 Ktmrida4lyfe

Ktmrida4lyfe

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 132 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 14 October 2008 - 05:36 PM

AS5 stands for Artic Silver 5 thermal compound, and MX2 is another great thermal compound made by Artic Cooling. On topic, it sounds like you applied the thermal compound unevenly as it seems as though the 360 cannot detect how hot the heatsinks really are... apparently it thinks theyre smoking hot and/or it doesnt have enough conductivity which can be caused by applying the thermal compound unevenly.

#11 owchar

owchar

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 14 October 2008 - 08:01 PM

when doing the rrod fix to you have to make sure the you tighten the heat sinks evenly
this could be an easy cause for overheating fast

#12 xboxgamer815

xboxgamer815

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 15 October 2008 - 08:08 AM

I have been fixing xbox with kind of problem , in 2 ways.

My 1st) - my first approach is to try finding the perfect bolts tension..more on the gpu heatsink, as 2 red lights is overheating,,just tight the bolts slightly..putting more tension on the upper 2 gpu bolts, the side where you can find the smaller gpu die, the 2 bolts near the ana chips..this will maximize the pressure on the smaller Gpu die.Much patience is needed in a trial and error method...tighten slightly then restart. Doing this repeatedly until it works ..and if this don't work..

(MY 2nd )- is redo the xclamp and replace the thermal compound then back to my first method starting at the least tenson, just make the heatsink snug.This is all about a perfect contact between the heat sink and the dyes.Its not onlyl about heat dissipation, overheating is not the only culprit here...even pressure is also important to avoid an imbalance of stress to the die that may cause a cold solder

Edited by xboxgamer815, 15 October 2008 - 08:17 AM.

#13 Starfishland

Starfishland

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 02:25 PM

Okay here is sort of an update.

I read somewhere that you don't want to motherboard/mainboard to be bent, so I adjusted the screws and took off the metal washers. Now, I don't get any red lights, it boots up with green lights, but I can't hear or see anything on the TV. Was taking out the metal washers a bad idea?

#14 Starfishland

Starfishland

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 03:51 PM

Okay I can now hear my 360 start up, but I don't get any video! Which was my problem in the first place and why I did the fix...Ugh..anyone have any suggestions?

#15 Wilhelm_I

Wilhelm_I

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 10:01 AM

QUOTE(Starfishland @ Oct 17 2008, 05:27 PM) View Post

Okay I can now hear my 360 start up, but I don't get any video! Which was my problem in the first place and why I did the fix...Ugh..anyone have any suggestions?

Heatgun it and concentrate mainly on GPU and (H)ANA chip, like shown in my tutorial.
The link is in my signature....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users